Author Topic: Google maps as a planning tool  (Read 1098 times)

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Google maps as a planning tool
« on: 20:29:43, 20/05/19 »
When planning a walk,I've discovered that Google Maps has a 3D mode when in satellite view. You get a fantastic 3D aerial view of  the scenery. You can zoom in and out, spin the hills round etc. You can wander over a planned walk from the air and get a real feel for what it's going to be like. :D

Obviously it works better on a computer rather than on a phone... Give it a whizz, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. O0   

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Google maps as a planning tool
« Reply #1 on: 20:45:56, 20/05/19 »
You can do the same thing on GoogleEarth, the OS app and ViewRanger.  The advantage of these others is you can plot a route and view it in 3D.  You can also translate routes from one app to another.
Solvitur Ambulando

and101

« Reply #2 on: 21:02:45, 20/05/19 »
When planning a walk,I've discovered that Google Maps has a 3D mode when in satellite view. You get a fantastic 3D aerial view of  the scenery. You can zoom in and out, spin the hills round etc. You can wander over a planned walk from the air and get a real feel for what it's going to be like. :D

Obviously it works better on a computer rather than on a phone... Give it a whizz, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. O0

I use it all the time alongside ViewRanger. I also have a look for suitable safe parking spots for overnighters etc

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:56:56, 20/05/19 »
You can do the same thing on GoogleEarth, the OS app and ViewRanger.  The advantage of these others is you can plot a route and view it in 3D.  You can also translate routes from one app to another.

Garmin's BaseCamp too allows you to plot routes then view them in Google Earth.
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:20:51, 20/05/19 »
Yes it's both a fun feature and a genuinely useful planing tool.  Some areas are radar side scanned  topography rather than satellight.  If you have not all ready, take a look at Snowdonia, crib goch for example. You can workout each hand hold along the ridge.  It is like being there.  Ben Nevis on the other hand is pretty poorly represented, in comparison.

It also very simple to manipulate on a tablet, once you get the hang of the correct hand/finger gestures. ;)
« Last Edit: 23:32:42, 20/05/19 by BuzyG »

dank86

« Reply #5 on: 10:00:18, 21/05/19 »
Fatmap is a good option for 3d viewing as well, it had a few options to help with planning too

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:58:15, 21/05/19 »

Does anyone else not think that hi res 3D imaging takes some of the mystery and adventure out of climbing mountains?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

and101

« Reply #7 on: 11:10:20, 21/05/19 »
Does anyone else not think that hi res 3D imaging takes some of the mystery and adventure out of climbing mountains?

To some aspect, yes I agree but I like to have sense of awareness before I go somewhere to help my internal compass. The option to use it is there should it be wanted/needed.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:23:28, 21/05/19 »
I don't really plan my walks, except to try to find out where the actual point of a route is, or how to navigate my way through a small town or village where the signposting is poor. Streetmap can be useful in these situations. I hate spending time wandering around looking for the way forward. Other than that I just check the route, note some of the towns and villages in the direction I'm going and then go. I camp so really don't have to bother with too much detail.

I often use Streetmap when I want to look back and 're-live' a route I've already done. I can bore my wife silly with my "I've been there, I sat on that bench, I had a pint in that pub, that's where I had a prawn sandwich, look at that view!" and so on.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:33:29, 21/05/19 »
For me personally, the advantage of Google Maps satellite view over an OS map is the ability to spot parking places.

However, being able to project a 3D representation alongside an OS map is great for teaching. As people have said, there are several ways to do that, but Google is free.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:04:06, 21/05/19 »
Depends why you are climbing the mountain. 

When I climbed Snowdon with my son winter before last.  I spent hours memorising details of three different routes up the mountain.  On the ground when we set off for our climb, that information told me. Someone who had not climbed Snowdon before.  That dispite us both being competent scramblers, crib goch, was probably the wrong route up that day. Dispite it being the one we both wanted to do.  So we went around to the other half of the horse shoe route.  Arriving at the snow covered summit in thick fog some hours  later,we  both agreed we took the right route up.  I reckon I can read a map as well as most, but in an  area I don't know, with a limited time on the hill, the better informed you are before you set off the safer you will be.  Meaning you can concentrate more on enjoying the day.

Of course if you have all the time in the world and the experience/kit with you to deal with problems, then you can make it more of an adventure/take greater risks, even if the only risk is you have to turn around and come back later.
« Last Edit: 20:12:38, 21/05/19 by BuzyG »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:24:05, 21/05/19 »
Once my route is planned I often use the 3D fly through tool that a lot of apps have to get a feel for how the route is going to unfold.  I like doing it with both the map and aerial view to help me spot how key features are going to appear.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:24:20, 21/05/19 »
Crib Goch in the winter would be a serious expedition. You would definitely want to know what you were letting yourself in for and that you had the gear and experience to attempt this. Getting this wrong could have serious consequences.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:22:52, 21/05/19 »
Still one to complete.  O0  Assuming our son ever comes back from NZ. 

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:25:22, 22/05/19 »
I see it as more than a mere planning tool. Being a relative newcomer to IT, as those in my age bracket may confirm we had to train our minds to do that which the computer does in an instant.

There is a very important part of understanding terrain and maps that does not get enough emphasis, the debrief. After a walk, to go carefully over a route on the map and compare how the pre-walk understanding matches the post walk experience.

Yesterday we went back to do a walk we did on Sunday in reverse, I especially wanted to find out if there might be a very special length of path at the end of an area of Open Access. The rights of way suggested that an old route had be sculpted out the the terrain by historic footfall, todays land management had nearly obliterated it, yet it was there. I found a short length of pure magic!
I now take scene shots of 3D maps, as part of my record of a walk. It helps with the ongoing learning process.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy