Author Topic: climbers missing on Ben Nevis  (Read 13320 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: climbers missing on Ben Nevis
« Reply #30 on: 23:02:58, 08/03/16 »
It's strange, the story has gone quiet, regarding the whereabouts of this young couple.
It was national news for over a week, still no sign of their bodies, so their whereabout's on the mountain may not become known, until the summer months.

It sounds like they have got lost in a gully or remote location, as no sign of their bodies has been discovered anywhere near the summit.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 07:22:37, 09/03/16 »
Hi DA  -   nothing has altered since my last post on the 2nd regarding this. The snow will need to melt quite a bit B4 anything can be found.  There is also a Glasgow man missing in the Cairngorms. There was a huge search on Saturday to try & find him. He has been missing for a week now. His belongings were found in a bothy but no other trace of him in the mountains. Some missing person reports never make the news.........

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 08:37:10, 09/03/16 »
A lot of things happen that never make the news. Some media are extremely selective with the news they present, the BBC being the first to spring to mind in this respect. So I have Grough bookmarked for the sort of news that's under discussion. 

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 07:04:18, 24/03/16 »
Sad news  :(
Where there's a will ...

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 08:10:48, 24/03/16 »
So sad. In the very least it will be closure for the families.  :(
roll on the weekend

The Grumpy Dad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 08:21:20, 24/03/16 »
So sad. In the very least it will be closure for the families.  :(

+1 All you can say really. Feel for their families. 
I`am in an ambitious mood.Don`t bother me with reality.

Expect nothing and you can`t be dissapointed.

On Twitter @grumpybutcute

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 08:32:04, 24/03/16 »
I read the story on the bbc news very sad it must be awful for the families

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:25:56, 24/03/16 »
I guess you try not to give up hope but at least the family and friends now have some sort of 'closure' (I hate that word but can't think of another more suitable). Very sad.
~
Sue

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 09:34:54, 24/03/16 »
Sad news. I think it will have been understood that Mother Nature wouldn't give up the bodies till the spring. I feel for the friends and family concerned and the poor climber that discovered them.
BURN FAT NOT OIL

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:21:43, 24/03/16 »
Sad news indeed. :(

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 19:49:03, 24/03/16 »
A very moving tribute by the Lochaber MRT leader on the LMRT Facebook page today to the casualties and to the many people who assisted in the searches and recovery operation. Also a very touching reply from the families. Sadly, there are still two guys missing in the wider Ben Nevis area with one in Glencoe and one in the Cairngorms still unaccounted for.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 10:03:25, 25/03/16 »
By what we have been told, they were involved in an avalanche, ascending the mountain from the more challenging North side, and were swept to their deaths.
No wonder they were not found for some time, buried under feet of snow.
Goes to show, one must not overestimate ones abilities,especially in full winter conditions.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 17:19:45, 25/03/16 »
Very sad to see such young lives lost, but at least they were doing something that they both loved doing. Unfortunately it came at a very high price, my thoughts are with their families.
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 09:59:07, 26/03/16 »
By what we have been told, they were involved in an avalanche, ascending the mountain from the more challenging North side, and were swept to their deaths.
No wonder they were not found for some time, buried under feet of snow.
Goes to show, one must not overestimate ones abilities,especially in full winter conditions.
From what I read and what that allows you to deduce, they had ropes and all climbing gear still in their rucksacks. This indicates they hadn't begun the climb and were still approaching their intended route - walking - in. Highly likely that they succumbed to a major avalanche that engulfed them (as it would any walker(s)) who happened to be that close to the face of the rocks.
Not that it makes the end result any easier to accept but at least it seems they didn't take a fall. No matter how experienced they were, they couldn't have avoided this happening. Simply the wrong place at the wrong time.
At least they lived life to the full and tasted adventure and were together in the end.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy