Author Topic: Edale to Marsden  (Read 2291 times)

photonut

Edale to Marsden
« on: 10:14:23, 03/08/17 »
Hello,

I wonder if someone could advise me on the first section of the walk I'm planning from Edale to Marsden, via Bleaklow and Crowden.

Having looked at my map I notice that there is a path up to Kinder along Grinds Brook which then takes you over Kinder Scout and descends down Kinder Downfall.  Is this path easy to find and is it actually a path?

The reason I ask this (daft??) question is that last weekend I walked from Marsden and onto Black Hill.  From Black Hill trig point across Wessenden Head Moor, passing Dean Head and planning to emerge onto the A635 by the dis-used quarry and ultimately the car park.  The plan was then to pick up the path North from there to go onwards past Redbrook Reservoir.  Well, to cut a long story short.... I struggled to find a path along the entire part from Black Hill to the A635.  I found a path across the mid part, but nothing at the start or finish.... not until I'd almost reached the dis-used quarry adjacent to the A635.  Most of the route was just peat bogs!!!  I actually had to break out the 'emergency' GPS as I tried to find a path in places  :-[

Is this what I am to expect over Kinder along the path I've mentioned earlier.... or is it better to initially go further west from Edale and pick up the Pennine Way and skirt around Kinder?

Any help would be most appreciated as I really do not want to endure a repeat performance from last Saturday.... that section was not pleasant or enjoyable  ::)

Cheers
Lee
« Last Edit: 11:28:08, 03/08/17 by photonut »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Edale to Marsden
« Reply #1 on: 10:25:57, 03/08/17 »
Having looked at my map I notice that there is a path up to Kinder along Grinds Brook which then takes you over Kinder Scout and descends down Kinder Downfall.  Is this path easy to find and is it actually a path?
No and no, well not over Kinder.

Is this what I am to expect over Kinder along the path I've mentioned earlier.... or is it better to initially go further west from Edale and pick up the Pennine Way and skirt around Kinder?
Yes

I think that covers it all.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:31:15, 03/08/17 »
The route up Grindsbrook is the old Pennine Way and not difficult to follow, the tricky bit is then cutting across the plateau.  I did it in 2012 when doing the PW without any issue but this May it was far more difficult as in an attempt to reduce erosion and encourage regrowth many areas have been dammed and channels created that are full of water and impassable unless you wish to wade.  I crossed but it was a struggle; it's not a route I would now recommend.
Where there's a will ...

maximurph

« Reply #3 on: 12:49:35, 03/08/17 »
Going up grindsbrook is easy enough but think I'd follow the edges and pick up the pennine way for the rest of the route with all the rain recently.
« Last Edit: 13:08:24, 03/08/17 by maximurph »

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:11:45, 03/08/17 »
Although my two penny worth is probably redundant by now, I'd agree with the above to follow the edge around to the Downfall. Even if slightly longer, it'll be far quicker and use far less energy than slogging across the middle of the plateau. Plus, those views to the west never grow old (for me, anyway!).

I was a bit curious to know what path you meant that descends the Downfall? I'd think you'd want to carry on until the westernmost point of the plateau and then follow the Pennine Way across Mill Hill.

photonut

« Reply #5 on: 15:53:10, 03/08/17 »
Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies.  I shall follow your advice

I was a bit curious to know what path you meant that descends the Downfall? I'd think you'd want to carry on until the westernmost point of the plateau and then follow the Pennine Way across Mill Hill.

Hi Adalard,

I have just checked my map and the point that the pathway across Kinder Scout re-joins the Pennine Way is at Kinder Downfall. Having had another look shows that you don't descend at all but stay (almost on the level) - then plod on to Mill Hill  O0

Sorry to mis-lead you.

Cheers
Lee

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:27:05, 03/08/17 »
I have just checked my map and the point that the pathway across Kinder Scout re-joins the Pennine Way is at Kinder Downfall. Having had another look shows that you don't descend at all but stay (almost on the level) - then plod on to Mill Hill  O0

Ah, yeah, I see...  O0  It's a nice walk along the edge from the Downfall - in fact, the whole walk between Edale and Marsden is a fantastic one, I reckon, although I've never done it all in one go. Enjoy!  :)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:18:59, 05/08/17 »
Sounds like the Old Pennine Way you were following from Black Hill. How wet was it and how long did it take to get to the reservoir? I ask as I was thinking about using it on the 24th of this month on the penultimate day of a PW

photonut

« Reply #8 on: 18:23:04, 06/08/17 »
Sounds like the Old Pennine Way you were following from Black Hill. How wet was it and how long did it take to get to the reservoir? I ask as I was thinking about using it on the 24th of this month on the penultimate day of a PW

Hi Johhnyp,

From the trig point on Black Hill to the A635 took me 1hr 33mins (5km), from the A635 to the reservoir took me 55mins (6.8km).  The second part is easy as it is all stone paved path.

As to how wet it was.... very!!!!!

I wouldn't recommend the route unless it was really dry.  If you are intent on doing the route then once you get to the trig point take a bearing off your map and go with that as there is no visible path until about 400m or so (it was just water logged/ boggy ground).

Cheers
Lee
« Last Edit: 08:58:57, 07/08/17 by photonut »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy