Author Topic: A new book has revealed the location of 80 of the mountain huts.  (Read 1927 times)

Rather be walking

"The bothy network has never been advertised to tourists and information was always spread by word of mouth between those in the know."
Do you think this is a good idea?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39205436

““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Owen

• Veteran Member
Bothy locations with grid references have been online since 2009, there's not been any mad dash of squatters heading for the highlands. So, what's the problem?

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
I have had an interest in mountain Bothies in Scotland since away back in the 60's.  I have gathered the data of around 400 shelters/Bothies nowadays onto Excel files after many years of obtaining the information by word of mouth, from old collections made and kindly given to me  by other folks and of course by using many of them during forays into the Scottish Hills.
The images produced of the Bothies by the gentleman are very fine.
My local Bothy is currently under going a massive makeover by the Estate folks who are funding the reconstruction.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
I know a couple of bothies not on any list. Please don't ask..........

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
My local Bothy is currently under going a massive makeover by the Estate folks who are funding the reconstruction.

Perhaps the most heartening thing I have read in years. Is this a sign that the acceptance of 2003 and an understanding that occupiers of land and visitors can have common accord?

Perhaps the rest of the UK should take note.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Rather be walking

Bothy locations with grid references have been online since 2009, there's not been any mad dash of squatters heading for the highlands. So, what's the problem?

It doesn't worry me, just thought people would be interested.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Glyno

• Veteran Member

It doesn't worry me, just thought people would be interested.

I thought you raised a good point Rbw.
Judging by messages I've read on other forums, I do think some folks are a little concerned.

« Last Edit: 14:40:34, 15/03/17 by Glyno »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy