Author Topic: The best UK long-distance walks you can do in a week  (Read 2185 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: The best UK long-distance walks you can do in a week
« Reply #1 on: 13:25:25, 10/08/20 »
Some of those times seem a bit out. Living in Suffolk we’ve done most of the Suffolk Coast path and the Sandlings walk, and hubby walked all the Suffolk coast path years ago in 2 days when it was a bit shorter. But it’s all flat! No way should it take the same time as the Dales Way and Hadrians Wall which are not flat and about 20 miles longer! ( and we have done both of those too).

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:36:07, 10/08/20 »
I like Cicerone's idea that walking the South Downs Way over 10 days is one week!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:38:43, 10/08/20 »
Being "old" I usually walk about 120 miles a week and that leaves me sufficient time to enjoy the view and the occasional drink. But they do say that it is for "beginner trips" and perhaps that is to acclimatise them rather than for the more experienced walkers.
« Last Edit: 13:41:55, 10/08/20 by harland »

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:48:03, 10/08/20 »
One I think they should’ve included is the Wealdway. It runs from Gravesend, so not the most auspicious start, to Eastbourne. 83 rather lovely miles.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:02:41, 10/08/20 »

I quite liked the Affric Kintail Way. Although I only hiked it about halfway (just past Loch Affric) from Morvich there and back, climbing some Munros along the way, so I don't know how good the eastern part is.

You could return by bus from Inverness back to Shiel Bridge or just walk the same way back. Or combine with part of the Great Glen Way.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:07:22, 10/08/20 »
Glen Urquhart rather underwhelming after the delights of Glen Affric. Probably best done East to West. But looks like a good route.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:24:45, 10/08/20 »
Glen Urquhart rather underwhelming after the delights of Glen Affric. Probably best done East to West. But looks like a good route.

Yes, that eastern part looks less exiting on the map.

This is what I actually walked at the time. I made a basecamp at two spots and climbed a few Munros, but not as many as I hoped because I had to turn back on two occasions because knee-deep snow made it unsafe and tiring and I twisted my knee too in the deep snow. Wonderful walk though. Good memories :)

My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:34:01, 10/08/20 »

When I was there, it was covered in power lines and being rapidly turned in to a wind farm.  I did think the route from Corrimony to Loch Ness was decent though, but the massive access roads for wind farm machinery were very hard on your feet.

If I was doing it again I'd either start at Cannich and walk west and do a large circular and take in Loch Mullardoch, stay at the Iron Lodge then turn around and do Affric - with a few munro tops included depending on freshness. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy