Author Topic: Paramo alterations - anyone had any done?  (Read 3937 times)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: Paramo alterations - anyone had any done?
« Reply #15 on: 13:28:33, 03/10/19 »
I bought a Paramo Alta 2 a few years ago, I grew to dislike it, especially in the warmer months, just too hot and I also learned that it was not a jacket that easily folded up to pack in my rucksack, too slippery and bulky, on top of that I was never convinced as to how waterproof it was either. Then the zip failed.

When I found out how much the repair cost would be I gave up on it completely. It now hangs in my garage gathering dust.

My learning at that time was that I would never buy such a jacket again and so moved on and bought a single skin jacket, a Marmot Precip, much better!

Must admit I want to like Paramo.  I like their branding, I like their slightly weird designs, I especially like some of their directional base layers and fleeces as well as their ethical credentials ... but the jackets just seem unsuitable and overpriced.  If it's in the middle of winter I'd prefer using a Buffalo or Montane Extreme if it's very cold, but the Paramo doesn't seem versatile enough for different activity levels and certainly not for warm spring days or summer.  Much prefer the base layer, simple 100wt fleece + lightweight and breathable wind proof option + a waterproof lightweight shell in the pack.  Plus if I trash the windproof I've cost myself £60 for a new item.  I can basically get all these items for what one Paramo jacket costs brand new.  Is there something I'm missing?

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:08:16, 03/10/19 »
I also learned that it was not a jacket that easily folded up to pack in my rucksack, too slippery and bulky, on top of that I was never convinced as to how waterproof it was either.

Same here, far too bulky for lightweight backpacking. I've never worn a Paramo jacket myself but I'm not convinced of the waterproof theory in real world conditions. No doubt there are particular conditions where it's a good option and it's a nice theoretical idea, but it assumes that the subject is just standing there in the jacket with rain falling on it. Real backpacking ain't like that. You are wearing a weighty backpack and constantly moving, sometimes reaching upwards on steep rocky paths, which scrunches the material about and, so I hear, forces water through under pressure, especially beneath the shoulder straps.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:25:23, 03/10/19 »
I bought a Velez Adventure Light about 12 years ago and gone out in it, in all sorts of weather conditions...for mid range day walks (about 8 to 15 miles walks, mostly in White or Dark Peak).

I’ve found it comfortable in all but hot summer’s days...and prefer keeping it on for all walk, to faff of taking off/ putting on a conventional waterproof shell as weather changes.

Would it be my preferred “solution” for multi-day back packing??

No...but that’s not the type of walking I do!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:57:29, 07/10/19 »
Dear Neil,

My apologies; I have been away on holiday and could not respond immediately. However I have been back for 3 days now and should have followed up sooner; I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to respond with pictures and your views, and I'm sorry that I didn't say so sooner.

Thank you very much for the pictures; Paramo have done a good job and you would never know that the vents were not part of the original design. I'm still weighing up the pros and cons of Paramo for my use; I can't afford multiple jackets to cover all the seasons, so perhaps it is not for me at the moment.

Sorry again, and thank you again,
Ian

I feel bad now!

Sorry but we do get our fair share of hit and run merchants come here - often they start a thread, get like 4 pages of detailed responses and then never appear again

Anyway, glad it was useful.

They're defo no use in summer for sure so not a good choice of all-season jacket

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:05:03, 07/10/19 »

Must admit I want to like Paramo.....Is there something I'm missing?

Not really. Not sure anyone can claim what you suggest isn't more flexible, cheaper, more weatherproof and requires less upkeep.

I think I like my Paramo more theoretically than I do practically.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy