Author Topic: How long does it take you to get going in the morning?  (Read 2960 times)

Stube

When I'm hikeing if usually takes me 2 hours from when I wake up to when I finally depart. Best time is 90 mins and 2 and a half hours occasionally.

For clarity the two hours includes:   
Getting washed - or at least brushing teeth   
Getting dressed   
Cooking breakfast and eating it   
Washing up afterwards 
Filling flasks/water bottles
Removeing condensation from tent   
Packing everything up   
Putting pack on and doing a leave no trace check

Am I typical or just very slow?

I do find that it takes longer staying at "all facilities" campsite rather than a basic one or wild camp.

pleb

• Veteran Member
Good hour for me. More if things go wrong like cat puking.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Good hour for me. More if things go wrong like cat puking.
Crikey, you take the cat camping!?
I bet it keeps your feet warm at night.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Birdman

• Veteran Member
I'm really slow at this. One reason is that I enjoy the ritual of waking up slowly, having my breakfast and packing my stuff.

On multiday hikes, I tend to wake up around 5:30am and have some slow breakfast. Then I pack my sleepingbag, deflate and fold my mattress and pack the rest of my stuff. Then break up my tent and pack it. I try to get going before 7:00am. I could do it quicker but what's the rush? I rather wake up earlier so I can take my time. I try to stick to my planned start time though.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
My routine the night before is to change my clothes for the next days use and to wash the items I've used that day. So in the morning I always wake up at dawn, daylight is like a trigger to me. I get up, maybe eat a chocolate bar, have a cup or two of water, always clean my teeth, but once done my aim is to get going as soon as I can. I just get organised and packed and then start walking. I'll stop within one to two hours when I find a nice place and then go through my routines, eating breakfast, shaving, cleaning teeth, strip wash or less, repacking my rucksack, peg wet and washed items to the back of my rucksack and then get myself organised properly, you know, the routine of making sure underwear and socks fit comfortably, buttons done up, velco secured, wet weather gear to hand (just in case) make decisions about layers and depending on the weather I may or may not have a rest for a while? And then I'm off again.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Am I typical or just very slow?

Don't worry, I take just as long. My reasoning is that I'm on holday, so I should be taking it easy and not rushing. Mind you, it is a bit embarrassing when you read about these people who are up at 5 and away at 5:20 (I exaggerate but I'm thinking of the Wild Wilderness blog).

I do find  that it takes longer staying at "all facilities" campsite rather than a basic one or wild camp.

Probably you stop and natter to people like I do sometimes. I once met such an engaging chap at the old Forestry site at Beddgelert, he was cycling from London to Scotland but via Bristol and North Wales, after which I didn't get on my way till gone 11:30.
« Last Edit: 20:32:59, 01/11/20 by fernman »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Do most of my packing the night before and ask reception for an early morning call, say 0800. Up, shower. sh** shave, dress into walking gear, down to the breakfast bar, order cooked breakfast and coffee on the way in.  Eat cereal/croissant/pain au chocolat while waiting for cooked breakfast.  Then main course followed by toast and marmalade if it is going to be a long day.  Finish with second cup of coffee then back to room to clean teeth asking reception to prepare bill on the way past if I am not coming back.  Boots on, finish pack, check room clear, downstairs, pay bill if required and off.  Roughly one hour if I don't rush.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
Leaving from home, half an hour.

Cup of tea
Wash, dress
Make flask etc
and Go
I hate eating immediately I get up so take breakfast and flask of coffee, leave early and enjoy a leisurely breakfast when I get to the start of the walk, usually with a better view than home.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fernman

• Veteran Member
Why rush? Half an hour from getting up to leaving home should only be for when you have to go to work! (Something I haven't had to do for a long time.)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Why rush? Half an hour from getting up to leaving home should only be for when you have to go to work! (Something I haven't had to do for a long time.)
I was never in a hurry to go to work!

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

lostme1

• Veteran Member
Re: How long does it take you to get going in the morning?
« Reply #10 on: 08:42:28, 03/11/20 »

It means you can have a longer lie in before the walk.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:55:16, 03/11/20 »
Interesting post - I've often wondered this about others. 

I'm not hiking every weekend at the moment so when I'm planning a day out I often try to fit as much in as possible, inevitably ending up with a route with a lot of mileage - encouraging me to get on the hill early if I don't want to finish it wearing a head torch.  Packing the night before seems to make a massive difference for me, I make a pile of hiking clothes to wear next day so I don't have to hunt around drawers at the crack of dawn, too.  Prefer to set an early alarm and aim to take around an hour to get up, shower, breakfast, pack food/drink for the day and then leave.  90 minutes is far better, lets me have a proper coffee, take my time, read some morning news and feel a bit more alive.

I used to take pride in being the first person on the hill and would wake up at 4am and drive to a car parking spot so I can start hiking in the dark in the winter months; but only bother with this now when it's a specific objective or something I know I'll need the light for later in the day.  Much prefer booking a hostel/b&b super close and having a proper breakfast, a leisurely couple of hours before heading out for the day on foot and not driving anywhere, even if I'm not putting together quite as many miles because of it - I've found it a far more civilised way of doing things!

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:11:13, 03/11/20 »
I’m another who likes to get away early.
Ideally I’m on the hill by about 8:00, maybe earlier in summer, so if I’m going up to The Lakes I need to leave about 6. 

Probably takes me half an hour to get ready.

The funny thing about walkers is that there’s often someone ahead of you no matter how early you set off.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:18:17, 03/11/20 »

The funny thing about walkers is that there’s often someone ahead of you no matter how early you set off.

That'll be me ahead of you - I'm another early starter, in the summer I'm often walking by 6 after driving up to the Lakes or into Snowdonia.  However, you will catch me up and leave me behind during the day as I'm not quick. O0

I am up and out on a Saturday morning in about 30 mins, bag packed the night before, clothes next to bed.  If I am staying in the near my walk I tend to skip hotel breakfast, eat something in my room and get going - I love the early light and the quiet. 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:13:11, 10/11/20 »
When I am on an overnight wild camp, typically half an hour from waking up - I like to be on my way early.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy