Author Topic: TR - Pennine Way  (Read 12963 times)

strawy

Re: TR - Pennine Way
« Reply #120 on: 11:14:51, 24/09/20 »
Enjoyed reading that TR,well done  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #121 on: 15:35:56, 24/09/20 »
Enjoyed reading that TR,well done  O0
Thanks strawy, it was amazing.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #122 on: 14:05:39, 27/09/20 »
Finally I get to finish reading this after my router conked out on Monday mid-read  :(

Really enjoyed reading your report. 

Your Biblical Moment as you crossed the bridge over the M62 on day 3 made me smile - the weather eased off as you crossed then closed in again once you were over.

Folks from Hull are all a bit dodgy.  Luckily, I live just outside the boundary...completely different Local Authority area you see  :D

I had to chuckle at day 8's "Enid Blyton" comment.  Did you have lashings of ginger beer too?  ;D

And all those wonderful waterfalls on day 10  :smitten:

Yes, really enjoyed reading that and what a fantastic amount raised  O0   Well done to you both.

Glad I didn't donate based on beard growth though.  Disappointing effort - I was expecting a Grizzly Adams look by the end  :P

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #123 on: 16:49:54, 27/09/20 »
Thanks Mel, I'm pleased you enjoyed it.
No ginger beer, just the other sort.
The waterfalls are definitely worth going to see.

The beard has gone, Mrs R very clear on exactly how close to her I was likely to get before I shaved.

Viclikestowalk

« Reply #124 on: 17:02:52, 27/09/20 »
Great TR and making my feet exceptionally itchy.

Glad you had a great time and look forward to reading further reports.

After reading your post about whether a week was a long enough walk for you, would you consider doing such a long walk again?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #125 on: 17:18:17, 27/09/20 »
Thanks Vic.

I would definitely do a walk that long again given half a chance. I'm not sure what was wrong that day, I guess it was a combination of factors, it just felt like an uninspiring slog. From then on we were back to loving it again.

Viclikestowalk

« Reply #126 on: 17:25:06, 27/09/20 »
Thanks Vic.

I would definitely do a walk that long again given half a chance. I'm not sure what was wrong that day, I guess it was a combination of factors, it just felt like an uninspiring slog. From then on we were back to loving it again.

The longest walk I have done is 19 days, I can remember on about day 10 sitting behind a rock eating a mars bar sulking, thinking I’d never walk again, got to a cafe had a cup of tea and was fine from then on.

I thinks part of any long walk that you’ll have a bad day.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #127 on: 07:33:03, 28/09/20 »
I thinks part of any long walk that you’ll have a bad day.

Our bad day on our self devised walk from Swansea to Conwy three decades ago was from Dolgellau to Maentwrog - the tent was heavy after a night of rain, packs weighed a ton, and towards the end of the day we ended walking down the side of the busy A470 near Trawsfynydd, were turned away from a snobby caravan site, and another camp site turned out to be defunct, an excrement plastered field.

We were close to home though, so staggered an extra few miles down a quiet lane to a favourite pub of ours, The Grapes in Maentwrog, had a few beers and an excellent meal, and took a taxi home to Dolyyddelan, only 10 miles away. Returned the next day by bus and walked home with feather light day packs, then had a triumphal last day galloping over the eastern flanks of the Carneddau to Conwy, light packs again, felt like we were walking on air!

PS - we were using Petzl headtorches way back then  :)
« Last Edit: 07:36:31, 28/09/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #128 on: 09:03:39, 28/09/20 »
I've had many 'bad' days, usually because of being wet for long periods of time, because of an aching body, because of physical exhaustion and on odd days it's simply because that nothing will go right for me! I've had my few days of loneliness as well and days when I lose all enthusiasm and just 'can't be bothered.' It's just a period of time to get through, with me its always been a day so I usually just spend more time in one place, tend to lounge about, I watch the world go by and try to sleep much more than usual. By the next morning I just tend to bounce back.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #129 on: 16:20:27, 28/09/20 »
Interesting that it is not just us.
GWM I remember you saying before that you've had an occasional off day and just pitched your tent and snoozed. I think if we had been camping we could well have had an early stop.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy