Author Topic: Boots for shin splints  (Read 698 times)

AOsh

Boots for shin splints
« on: 18:13:04, 10/01/21 »
Hi

I’ve recently found myself walking more and more and am now looking for a new pair of boots. The issue being, I suffer quite easily from shin splints.

For the last couple of years I’ve just been wearing a normal pair of timberland 6” leather boots but after a walk of more than a couple of miles my shins (splints) are painful for the next few days. 

I’m after a pair of men’s leather waterproof boots.  Currently looking at the Scarpa Ranger 2 Gtx boots.  Does anyone know if these boots have a neutral platform so I can fit my insoles to aid my shin splints? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Boots for shin splints
« Reply #1 on: 18:25:36, 10/01/21 »
Might be worth a t set lephone appointment with your doctor, who may get you a physio appointment to see what the true cause is.
I have read that compression stockings or sleeves can treat the problem. But that, I suppose, depends on the cause.
Too little, too late, too bad......

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:42:41, 12/01/21 »
I've just had a conversation with my wife who has been a physiotherapist for 40 years. Shin splints are tiny flakes of bone lifted on the shin, frequently caused by too much exercise when young (before the bones are properly hardened / formed) - but I guess you know that. Our niece overdid the ballet dancing when a teenager and had a problem
This isn't something that can be cured, but can be managed. If they hurt, then rest is the best short term treatment, putting your feet up, being warm might help (whiskey wasn't mentioned) . They can be aggravated  by walking uphill, walking on the flat less so. Good footwear and posture will help, but their isn't a one size fits all 'insole for shin splints'; that's not to say you personally might find an insole (or boot) that works for you, it's going to be a very individual thing. The angle of your lower leg to plane of the foot is what is actually bringing on the discomfort, building in rests, less steep routes, choice of the stepped route rather than the sloped route might also help

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:13:38, 12/01/21 »
I used to have shin splints years ago when I first started running and I often was reduced to hobbling, the pain could be intense. I sought professional advice (physio) and the lady I met told me to continue on a day after day basis and just walk and run and do what I could but not to give up. I persevered (painfully) and soon, it took about 2 months, maybe three, but it definitely worked for me. I haven't experienced shin splints now for about 15 years but I still remember how painful it was. All I suffer from today is now and again cramps, usually just before dawn, I just have to jump out of bed and walk down and then up our stairs and then it's fine.

Whether the solution offered to me is now considered 'old fashioned,' I'm just not sure?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy