Author Topic: Flying to the Canary Islands is open  (Read 686 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Flying to the Canary Islands is open
« on: 20:12:30, 22/10/20 »
Saw the news today, if Covid-19 wasn't happening I'd definitely like to go, I've 'done' (actually one walk on each) Gran Canaria and Las Palmas and I'd like to 'do' Tenerife and La Gomera but the idea of sitting on a plane, both there and back, next to 'people' is a journey that I'll be happy to miss this year.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Flying to the Canary Islands is open
« Reply #1 on: 20:19:36, 22/10/20 »
Air travel is not as hazardous as people imagine.  Masks must be worn, passemgers are supposed to be spaced and walking round the cabin is discouraged.  A modern aircraft has a very good ventilation system capable of removing any virus containing droplets from the cabin air. The air is changed very frequently, far faster than a train for example and the air is introduced at the top of the cabin and removed at floor level so the flow is downwards.  The bigger hazards are the airports themselves, though I imagine there is a lot of social distancing at present.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:33:35, 22/10/20 »
Before I forget, I thought of you last night. I watched a French film on IPlayer called 'The Guardians,' set on a farm somewhere in France during the First World War. I thought the photography was beautiful, the countryside, old buildings, old windows and doors, the way people dressed, etc etc. It even had a steam train in it. I haven't yet found out where it was filmed.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:54:44, 22/10/20 »
Just discovered this article about it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjyqPTc-MjsAhU-TxUIHeRtAbEQFjACegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Ffilm%2F2018%2Faug%2F16%2Fthe-guardians-review-xavier-beauvois-nathalie-baye&usg=AOvVaw2nOkmWzIBWi9Kz4P2jHljH
Merci beaucoup - I'll look out for it.   The first world war still has a strong hold on us but even more so on the French.  I spent a few days based in Verdun exploring the battlefield.  The slaughter was staggering and a visit leaves a lasting impression.
I have visited a few such similar sites where man has demonstrated his inhumanity, Bergen-Belsen, Dachau, Vimy Ridge, Oradour-sur-Glane.  They all have an air about them in their own way. 
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:05:50, 22/10/20 »
My, how this thead has wandered! Going back to flying, there was discussion in a consumer column today regarding the wearing of masks in planes.

One person who seemed to know what he was talking about wrote:
"The air is HEPA filtered and half of it is replaced with fresh air from the external environment on each pass. The entire air is replaced several times an hour. It is also zoned to a certain number of rows so you aren't breathing in the entire bioburden shed by the passengers more than a small distance away from your seat. It is probably healthier sitting on an aircraft than in a hospital, or even on a bus or in the pub, to be fair."

I'll leave you to look up HEPA on Wikipedia, as I had to, but the real reason I am posting is to say that my wife has just flown with BA to Greece and back, and the Airbus 321's were completely full, there was no chance of social distancing.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:11:26, 23/10/20 »
El Hierro is a wonderful island for walking. A ferry ride from the tourist horrors of Los Cristianos on Tenerife, it's peaceful and very beautiful.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:19:08, 23/10/20 »
Yes, sorry about that Fernman, I have that sort of brain, I can easily wander off course, I just need the 'trigger' to do it.

Sorry but I'm going to do it again while I have the chance. Verdun, if anyone hasn't been there yet (plus Vimy Ridge and Ypres) I really recommend it, especially to walk through Fort Douaumont, an eerie and one of the most the sad places I have ever experienced in my life. The atmosphere of the place is amazing.

That's it, I won't write any more except if I want to get back on the subject again.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:27:57, 23/10/20 »
The first time we went to Tenerife, It was with Freddie Laker and the main resort was Puerto de la Cruz.  The only airport was Los Rodeos which was quite sporty to get into if the cloud was low.  Arrival was not guaranteed so there was always the chance if a ferry ride to get to the island.
Cristianos Las America’s and Gigantes had not been built yet.  I remember the walking as being particularly pleasant and it felt like the whole place was air conditioned, never too hot or too cold.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:29:49, 23/10/20 »
Don't forget Fuerteventura and Lanzarote, GWM.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:17:17, 23/10/20 »
El Hierro is a wonderful island for walking. A ferry ride from the tourist horrors of Los Cristianos on Tenerife, it's peaceful and very beautiful.

It's interesting to read comments on the Canary Islands from a walkers perspective, having visited many of them over the years as a parent and keen surfer.  Funny you single ot Los Cristianos.  My parents had a time share there for many years and used to winter there.  In all my surfing trips and family holidays I was not once tempted to stay there.

Three times I have turned up on spec hoping to walk up Teide, but as yet still not got past the base due to one thing or another.  Since jointing here I gather you are supposed to have a permit, so probably just as well.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:35:39, 23/10/20 »
I wasn't criticising, GWM, it's just that the thread had moved onto something else by the time I got around to responding!

Fuerteventura is very barren, nothing but sand and grit, and it is relatively flat. Gran Canaria is much more interesting, with a mountainous centre and greenery.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy