Author Topic: The Pennine Way Complete, 100% wild camp and no care packages!  (Read 5398 times)

Another_Smith

Hey Guys and Gals!

So I thought I'd start posting to this forum with a bit of planning progress, gear lists, training, and most importantly what hiccups I encounter along my journey.

This is all in the run up to the Pennine Way I'll be doing, starting from the 4th of March 2018 and it will be in one go, solo, 100% camped and I will set out with everything I need for the planned 14 day excursion. Feel free to tell me I'm stupid right now  ;D

I'll be documenting the whole journey and will attempt some kind of blog to share the experience with others so this is another way to get me writing, something I've never really done before which to me is more daunting than any walk!

I'd like to know if anyone else on here has done this in a similar time scale and if there's any good reads out there? I'm not talking 'Joan and Brian gently wander the Pennine Way' either, I'm trying to make this as much of a challenge as possible and would love to hear about others trials and tribulations along the way.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning and sharing with you all along the way.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I've done it twice, once in 15 days and this year in a few hours over 14 days. However I mixed camping with hostels and b&b's (& one night in a refuge hut on the Cheviots) and certainly didn't carry food for 14 days if that's what you're intending?

Difficult to give you specific advice though as we have no idea about your walking experience to date?
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
I walked the Pennine Way in 2015 using Hostels, B&B's and a couple of Hotels. Feel free to have a read about it on my website, I tried to list some of the places where you can locate food on your travels rather than carry them for days. The lighter you are carrying, the better the experience.

Yes, I know I'm promoting my own website but we make them to look at and hopefully to help others  O0

My Pennine Way page - http://www.brians-walks.co.uk/pennine-way.html
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Murphy

I've done PW numerous times including there and back. Camped throughout carrying kit but certainly didn't need to carry food for more than 3 days.  14 days one way perfectly doable but as Sussamb says much depends on your ability, fitness and experience. Weather conditions are very variable also.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
yes, I know I'm promoting my own website but we make them to look at and hopefully to help others  O0

My Pennine Way page - http://www.brians-walks.co.uk/pennine-way.html

Good point.  Mine is at http://penninewayat60.blogspot.co.uk for 2012. Didn't do one this year but wrote a TR.

Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Plus Sussamb is so helpful with GPX files etcetera , gave me confidence, knowing I was walking a previously walked route rather than one worked out from maps.  Murphy is right If you are carrying your own supplies then top ups are regularly available..
Too little, too late, too bad......

Another_Smith

Thanks for the Replies guys.

In terms of experience I don't have much when it comes to LDW's, plenty of 20 mile plus day walks, a few wild camps and multi day walks up to about 5 days consecutive walking.

Fitness is good with running and cycling throughout the week and a walk of 15+ miles at least every fortnight if not week. I'd be more worried about the skin on my feet giving out before I give out physically.

Unsure what you mean by ability, I can navigate with OS maps/ pick sites for wild camps effectively and leave no trace, adept snowboarder and very comfortable in hills, that sort of thing? As far as Scouts badges go though I'm high and dry  ;D

How did you go about getting food every 3 days? This would be a brilliant help if it didn't involve too bigger detours, I had intended on carrying enough dehydrated foods with me for the 14 nights to attempt to be "self sufficient" the entire way as part of the challenge but if you think this is a bad idea I'm happy to listen to the advice of the more experienced.  

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
There are places you can stock up on food without much of a detour.  Offhand, there are small supermarkets close by in Gargrave, Hawes, Middleton in Teesdale, Alston and Bellingham, and I'm sure that's not an exhaustive list.  We also managed to pick up a couple of essentials in the cafes in Dufton and Greenhead, things like eggs, bread and a packet of cheesy pasta.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I too have never had problems in getting food on PW, its not really a wild and 'hard' walk, I'm 72 and I've only found that it's the weather that can test one and if your legs, feet and shoulders can take the distance.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I too have never had problems in getting food on PW, its not really a wild and 'hard' walk, I'm 72 and I've only found that it's the weather that can test one and if your legs, feet and shoulders can take the distance.

The real test is the 'brain' ... that gives up far quicker than your legs etc if you have the wrong mindset  O0
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
You are right, I forgot about brain, yes being in the wrong mood can, at times make me very unmotivated and want to give up. Lonlyness is for me the worst of all, I have been known to sprint to a pub to shake it.

Another_Smith

Noted these places, thanks for the heads up  O0

Marshy Pete

Further to above re supply opportunities there is also May's (Alladins cave) in Colden.
A great place to visit and if you are lucky enough to meet May for a chat a real privilege.

Murphy

And you can camp at May Stocks' free of charge if you're doing Pennine Way.  Use fresh water from her well, and the thunderbox!  Supplies aplenty here.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy