Author Topic: What nearly stopped you finishing a LDW?  (Read 9328 times)

Raferjefferson

Re: What nearly stopped you finishing a LDW?
« Reply #45 on: 21:32:17, 19/04/17 »

I do take your point, however what I was suggesting is that when doing the more remote walks, it is often unfeasible to 'get out', because just as there's nowhere to get more or better food, there's nowhere to 'get out' to so that is less of a reason for people to fail to complete LDPs. 

I would also imagine that those who are undertaking remote paths also have the common sense to ensure that they do understand the nature of what they are doing.    When I set out on walking the Pyrennees many years ago, I virtually knew Eric Langmuir's 'Mountaincraft and Leadership' by heart, and that excellent tome includes a chapter devoted to 'Food and Nutrition'.

Of course, those walking easier routes probably don't bother to study such background and eating the right sort of food escapes them, with the result that their bodies don't recover properly so they don't have the necessary 'fuel' to avoid negative impact on their willpower. I doubt, for example, that many people who embark on the Thames Path have read a book about Mountaincraft.

I think we're probably agreeing on the result anyway.   What it amounts to is that if you don't look after your body, you will end up with a less than positive outlook which will impair your ability to complete what you set out to do.

With regard to blisters, years ago I'd get the occasional blister, but then turned to using Bridgedale liner socks along with their Light Hiker socks rather than standard walking socks.    I can honestly say that since then I've never suffered a blister (touch wood).

S

You'll get a splinter instead  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy