Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292258 times)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #375 on: 21:52:03, 02/01/18 »
Perhaps some people are using their spikes on ground that is too steep and that is causing the snapping?  :-\

Apparently it is when they have been fitting them to their boots, not in actual usage, only seen one or two negative comments  but it appears the rubber has split/torn in the same places.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #376 on: 21:51:34, 09/01/18 »
Oh well. Christmas present money burning a hole in my pocket so I've bought a pair of Kahtoola microspikes to try them out for myself (hopefully this weekend somehwere in the lakes) :D

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #377 on: 09:37:25, 10/01/18 »
Apparently it is when they have been fitting them to their boots, not in actual usage, only seen one or two negative comments  but it appears the rubber has split/torn in the same places.

They shouldn't be at all loose once fitted to your boots and they should feel quite taut...but I rather think folk maybe buying the wrong size in the first place ie. buying a size too small for a larger boot, hence the splitting/snapping when being over-stretched to fit.

I thought mine would be too small at first...but they were fairly easy to get on/off and while they were quite a taut fit, they weren't under excessive strain.

I haven't used them out on the hill yet, so I've no idea how they perform :-\

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #378 on: 12:06:08, 10/01/18 »
For me, a pair of mobile phone headphones! I'll be buying them today.

I went out for a longer than usual run yesterday and I was bothered by phone call after phone call concerning one of my clients. It became an intellectual challenge for all concerned. When a man has a severe alcohol problem and the plan is to restrict him to a maximum 4 cans of lager per day and without warning his disability scooter breaks down (can only walk about 5-10 steps) and it can't be repaired for nearly five days, what do you do? Everyone panics! The off licence is one mile away. As a one-off, a relative agreed to pay for a taxi, the 'passenger' was four cans and one pouch of tobacco! A Plan B had never been considered. Why would they need to, the scooter would obviously work forever and he would never change. Wrong! His lager plan has worked well for four years, but yesterday everything fell apart at the seams.

My run obviously then turned into a walk. Ideas were put forward, one suggestion was for 6' high locked metal cabinet to be placed in his flat and the Care Company would then be asked to unlock and give him his daily allowance at each mornings first visit. They refused of course, which is fair enough. Another idea, is there a Deliveroo type service in the area and if so what would they charge? Still waiting on this one. Problem not yet solved.

I worked out that along my 10 mile route I must have had about 15 phone calls, back and forth, some short, duration and some long. Ahh, the pleasures of Care in the Community, I get that warm fuzzy feeling just thinking about it!

Why do I need the headphones? Hopefully, I can then have my hands free(ish) to quickly get out my notebook and pen and be able to write some legible notes. At one point yeasterday I managed to lay my phone on the top of a fence and turned the loudspeaker on, but at the other places en route one of my hands had to hold my phone to my ear, not good for writing notes on a piece of paper.

I'm in a good mood today, sunny and calm, just off for a run and have just heard that a neighbour is going to collect todays booze. If I was clever I could write a TV comedy programme about all this stuff, along the lines of Just Minister.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #379 on: 16:22:57, 10/01/18 »

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #380 on: 17:04:34, 10/01/18 »
For me, a pair of mobile phone headphones! I'll be buying them today.

I went out for a longer than usual run yesterday and I was bothered by phone call after phone call concerning one of my clients. It became an intellectual challenge for all concerned. When a man has a severe alcohol problem and the plan is to restrict him to a maximum 4 cans of lager per day and without warning his disability scooter breaks down (can only walk about 5-10 steps) and it can't be repaired for nearly five days, what do you do? Everyone panics! The off licence is one mile away. As a one-off, a relative agreed to pay for a taxi, the 'passenger' was four cans and one pouch of tobacco! A Plan B had never been considered. Why would they need to, the scooter would obviously work forever and he would never change. Wrong! His lager plan has worked well for four years, but yesterday everything fell apart at the seams.

Not for first time, something you’ve put makes me regard you as strong candidate for sainthood.

Possible solutions for back-up...that you’ve probably considered:-
1/ Short term hire of a disability scooter, or even loan of one from repairers.
2/ Just extend taxi plan: one of local drivers might do it for a cut rate price, if you negotiate on basis that he can just drop off the four cans as he’s passing by doing other work.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #381 on: 17:39:40, 10/01/18 »
It was just me identifying that when hiking I'm happy enough to take calls but not necessarily so when I'm running. On a long day, when perhaps I'm bored and fed up with my lot, I sometimes find a phone call a bit of welcome relief. Given a choice I would have preferred to run the day before yesterday but it was my own fault, I forgot to switch my phone off at the start. As I was self employed for a lot of years (I'm almost retired now but old habits die hard) if my phone rings and work is offered I still find it hard to say no. I know other people who hike prefer to avoid such intrusions

Anyway, I bought my headphones around lunch time, £9.99 from a local shop and I then went for an off road run. I decided to wear them while I ran, just to try them out. I now realise I didn't choose well, I'm not used to earphones so they felt odd but I persevered and then found they were fine until I started to sweat. Then they just fell out. Can anyone please recommend a headphone set that doesn't fall out?

Mylo

« Reply #382 on: 18:56:16, 10/01/18 »
Apologies if already posted,  Cave & Crag is closing down. A lot of stuff discounted

Can't post links, but cave-crag - uk

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #383 on: 20:14:31, 18/01/18 »
Damn Montane Outlet/end of season sale - New Windstopper Shirt, New Down Jacket, New Supa Terra Stretch trousers and a new  "buff"  O0 , managed to not buy a new beanie, new gloves, new tshirts, new waterproof, new rucksack, new fleece etc  ::)

MichaelUK

« Reply #384 on: 20:30:54, 24/01/18 »
Deuter Futura 26  £65 from Deutera UK web site. £40 cheaper tham retailers!

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #385 on: 23:10:40, 24/01/18 »
It was just me identifying that when hiking I'm happy enough to take calls but not necessarily so when I'm running. On a long day, when perhaps I'm bored and fed up with my lot, I sometimes find a phone call a bit of welcome relief. Given a choice I would have preferred to run the day before yesterday but it was my own fault, I forgot to switch my phone off at the start. As I was self employed for a lot of years (I'm almost retired now but old habits die hard) if my phone rings and work is offered I still find it hard to say no. I know other people who hike prefer to avoid such intrusions

Anyway, I bought my headphones around lunch time, £9.99 from a local shop and I then went for an off road run. I decided to wear them while I ran, just to try them out. I now realise I didn't choose well, I'm not used to earphones so they felt odd but I persevered and then found they were fine until I started to sweat. Then they just fell out. Can anyone please recommend a headphone set that doesn't fall out?

Reg, they sell sports headphones for just such a purpose. They have hooks to hang on to the ears.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Alan Kilroy

« Reply #386 on: 13:48:04, 08/02/18 »
Fjallraven Greenland Jeans.

Just arrived from Germany this morning.....difficult to find in stock anywhere, size etc.

Been looking at them for a while, probably the least obtrusive in their extensive range re: cargo pockets etc etc.
Two regular deepish front pockets, same back. One cargo pocket on front of right leg  :knuppel2: , not too bad. The leg length, which I knew about, was massively long. Just dropped them off to the local "Snip n Sew", ready tomo 10am.
Size 50, which is 33"-34" and fits well, happy with that. Adding a belt will add more comfort. Button down fly.
Material is bomb/nuclear/armageddon proof alright.  :coolsmiley:  Tarmac colour, will have them on permanently I reckon.

KimE

« Reply #387 on: 13:15:24, 10/02/18 »

Mora Eldris knife 2,25" blade.

https://morakniv.se/en/product/eldris/

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #388 on: 11:45:07, 11/02/18 »

Paramo cascada 2 walking trousers.
Nothing really wrong with old ones except they are so baggy.  I'll keep them for serious mud.  I thought of doing the recycle thing, but decided that it was worth hanging on to the old ones as a spare.  that might mean the new ones get washed more often!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #389 on: 13:45:33, 11/02/18 »
In relation to KimE's mail, she is clearly not from the UK where the law states that "The Criminal Justice Act (1988) says that you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding and does not lock" -  so no fixed blade knives as an every day carry!! "Unless someone knows differently then even a 2 and half inch fixed blade may not be carried in areas where the public may be. or to carry out a specific job of work, where the constabulary has been given a certain amount of discretion, seemingly. (I have myself wondered about those sliding/locking blade craft knives where a 4" blade can be achieved?  
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy