Author Topic: TR Wild camp below Heron Pike Sat 17 to Sun 18 Nov 18  (Read 2450 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We got the bus to Rydal and we were off on a wild camp. We was me, Beefy and Squeaky :) It was 11.10 by the time we got there so we weren't going to do a huge walk. Along the Coffin Route to start and we wanted to pitch somewhere near Nab Scar or Heron Pike.

Beefy and Squeaky on the Coffin Route

The weather was quite nice, blue sky sunshine and not very windy. In Keswick it had been really cold and windy so it was a nice surprise that it was better further south.

We stopped for lunch beside Dunney Beck where I thought of the daft idea of following the path up beside it to Alcock Tarn instead of going up the main path up to it. We had a lovely lunch sitting in the sunshine, it was more like summer than autumn.

On the way up beside Dunney Beck

The bracken hindered progress a little, the path was vague in places and it was very steep at times. I do have some daft ideas and I asked Beefy to say no to me when I asked him if he fancied doing any alternate routes I'd never done before.

Rydal Water from the ascent

Langdale Pikes from the ascent

The long distance views were very hazy so it wasn't great for photographs

Alcock Tarn

We were feeling a little tired with the route we'd came up and carrying the camping gear felt heavier than normal with carrying light packs the last few weeks. We did have extra gear though because it was going to get cold overnight. We started ascending beside a feeder to Alcock Tarn and would get the water for our camp at the last minute so we didn't have to carry it very far. We found a nice spot below Heron Pike and the water was close by. It seemed early to pitch at 2.30pm but the sun would set at 4.09 so we would only have 2 hours of light left.

The MSR pitched below Heron Pike

We had the water on to filter as we got our gear unpacked.

Hazy views toward the west

What a shame, everything else was great except the views to the west. We had a brew and waited for the sunset.

The sun setting behind Harter Fell

The sun going down

Not the best sunset we've ever had but at least we got one. We closed the tent up when it got dark and had some tea, had some wine and enjoyed the tent time. We aren't keen on the long dark nights so I'm not sure how many more camps we will do until it gets lighter for longer. We hadn't expected to hear fireworks but there was about 15 minutes worth of them that Squeaky didn't enjoy very much. Squeaky seems to love going walking but I don't think she is that keen on camping! Day 1 was Rydal - Coffin Route - Dunney Beck - Alcock Tarn - pitch below Heron Pike. 6.4km with 501m ascent.

It got cold overnight but there was no frost on the tent. We awoke to a glorious day.

The MSR with great views to the southern and western fells

Grasmere seen from our pitch

Crinkles, Bowfell and Langdales

Close up of Bowfell, Langdales and Scafell Pike

Close up of Crinkle Crags

We had our breakfast and packed our gear. First stop was Nab Scar. Or it was meant to be  :-[
We traversed across the fellside with the sun in our eyes. We wanted to meet up with the path that ascends from Alcock Tarn to in between Lord Crag and Nab Scar.

Alcock Tarn

The path was steep in places and hard work even more so with the sun right in my eyes, I couldn't see where we were going. We came to a path and  we followed it and I said I didn't think this looked like the path up from Alcock Tarn. I was right, it led us to Heron Pike  ;D We headed down to Nab Scar and I realised we hadn't taken any photos from Heron Pike. We had planned to do Nab Scar, Heron Pike and Stone Arthur. We didn't feel like re-ascending to Heron Pike and we changed the route.

Beefy and Squeaky on Nab Scar

Toward Grasmere from Nab Scar

We thought we would descend to Alcock Tarn. I suggested another daft route traversing above Dockey Tarn to meet the Alcock Tarn path that we'd missed earlier.

Dockey Tarn

We were pleased when we got on the path proper as it had been another steep sloped and rough in places route. I said to Beefy to remind me if I suggested any more routes like this to tell me to keep to the proper paths.

Alcock Tarn

Crinkle Crags, Bowfell and Langdale Pikes from Alcock Tarn

We stopped for a brew and some food near the tarn. We'd been on the go for over two hours. The distance in miles wasn't a lot but we felt like we'd walked for ten miles.

Great Rigg

Beefy and Squeaky

We were descending down to Greenhead Gill

Helm Crag in view now on the right

Helm Crag again

The bridge over Greenhead Gill that was lost in the floods in Dec 2015 hasn't been replaced yet so we had to cross the beck. There is work being done here and a notice said a bridge would be in place by Dec 18. We walked into Grasmere Village and had a coffee. We still had half an hour before the bus so we walked up the Allan Bank road for a while, turned right across the path to join the Easedale Road back to Grasmere. Day 2 was pitch below Heron Pike - Heron Pike - Nab Scar - Alcock Tarn - Greenhead Gill - Grasmere - Allan Bank Road - Easedale Road - Grasmere 8.9k with 190m ascent. Not the longest walks we've done but they felt double that distance, with the steep and rough terrain. It was good to be out camping again but it might be day walks until springtime maybe.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Wild camp below Heron Pike Sat 17 to Sun 18 Nov 18
« Reply #1 on: 19:25:54, 20/11/18 »
Great tr and pics Ape O0
It was lovely when the sun came up and lit up the fells,
Me an Squeaky had a great time,
Was a fantastic weekend  8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:14:01, 20/11/18 »
Great report and photos April, really like the view of the southern fells from Heron Pike O0

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:12:38, 20/11/18 »
Lovely pics and TR April O0
What an overdue nice week-end it was  :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:39:50, 20/11/18 »
Lovely pics April, it was a wonderful weekend, but how does Squeaky like camping? My old woofer, Lucy, used to lie on my chest staring at me if the slightest breeze blew.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:50:42, 21/11/18 »
.............My old woofer, Lucy, used to lie on my chest staring at me if the slightest breeze blew.

I'd guess Squeaky does the same when beefy is in full flow  ;D
Apart from the obvious rudeness - a grand TR april and what a treat to get such a special day/night at this time of year.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:44:06, 21/11/18 »
It was lovely when the sun came up and lit up the fells,

It was a glorious start to Sunday  :)

really like the view of the southern fells from Heron Pike O0

It is a smashing view  :)

What an overdue nice week-end it was  :)

We could do with a few more. I see you took advantage and camped out, nice pics on your website  O0

Lovely pics April, it was a wonderful weekend, but how does Squeaky like camping?

Squeaky seemed a little bored when we were in the tent  :) When we started walking on Sunday morning she looked overjoyed  :) I hope you enjoyed your trip to Glenridding  :)

I'd guess Squeaky does the same when beefy is in full flow  ;D

Correct  :D
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:05:46, 21/11/18 »
Great photos April, the weather looked lovely! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

photonut

« Reply #8 on: 10:09:13, 21/11/18 »
Nice TR with great pics as always.

Love the view from Nab Scar  O0

Such a nice weekend after the previous few wet weather weekends

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:00:16, 21/11/18 »
Love your TRs and Beefys  VRS.

Thanks.
Too little, too late, too bad......

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:00:25, 21/11/18 »
Cheers April - I had a wonderful time thanks - my elder daughter and her other half came up on Saturday night for beers and food and then we did Striding Edge on Sunday morning in perfect conditions - her first time on one of the edges - brilliant day.  Bacon butties at the top.  Magic O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:18:21, 21/11/18 »
Thanks everyone  :)

the weather looked lovely! O0

It was and it looks nice for the weekend ahead too, only a bit colder! Defo day walks for us.

Such a nice weekend after the previous few wet weather weekends

It has been a bit pants

Love your TRs and Beefys  VRS.

Thanks jimbob  O0

my elder daughter and her other half came up on Saturday night for beers and food and then we did Striding Edge on Sunday morning in perfect conditions

Wonderful  O0 It was a much better day on Sunday  :)

Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:07:27, 21/11/18 »
Brilliant clear photos. Not very windy either, you say?. Damn, we were thinking of a Lakes trip but the forecast of winds gusting to 50mph and probable cloud for the SE Lakes put us off.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:27:46, 21/11/18 »
Damn, we were thinking of a Lakes trip but the forecast of winds gusting to 50mph and probable cloud for the SE Lakes put us off.

It was a bit windier higher up but not too bad where we pitched at about 500m, maybe 25mph gusts.
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:32:42, 21/11/18 »
Lovely photos April. If you don't go on to new paths occasionally you'll never know if they are your new favourite route.

When I used to camp with my dog in my teens he used to always try to sleep on my head.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy