Author Topic: SATMAP  (Read 2354 times)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: SATMAP
« Reply #15 on: 11:21:45, 12/07/20 »
My Satmap came and on first impressions of the kit, I am impressed. It has come with all the little extras I'd need like extra-waterproof case, and canvas case, as well as different charging items etc. I've turned it on, but of course I need to go outside on a proper walk to test it out thoroughly.

They're really good devices, I've used them for a while and once you get used to the features and the buttons/directional stick it's quite powerful - particularly for conditions where you're going to get constant wet/wind and don't want to be pulling out a mobile phone and draining battery/potentially losing it.

Only thing is make sure it comes with mapping installed.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:00:15, 12/07/20 »
The mapping can be very expensive depending on what you want - however, once you have it you'll never need to buy another map (OK footpaths get diverted etc)

I have the Platinum cards for both North and South of the UK and they cover every part of the country at 3 scales

1:10,000 (1mm on the screen is only 10 metres 'on the ground'
1:25,000
1:50,000

You can zoom in on each of those (although the detail is still that at the original scale) you can have, for example the 1:25,000 zoomed in to 1:11:000 or the 1:10,000 zoomed into 1:2,000

Streetview at 1:10,000 shows individual houses, gardens etc.

You can adjust the power usage by having it update every 10 seconds, or 30 seconds instead of every second - how far do we walk every 10 seconds ? Do we need an update ?

My battery lasts about 16 hours (2 days at 8 hours)

Little Foot

« Reply #17 on: 18:08:02, 13/07/20 »
When you are out do you know that you can put it in a "sleep mode" where it continues to work in the background monitoring everything e.g. distance, location, ascent, descent etc but saves on the battery. Useful if you don't want/need to check it very frequently.

I've noticed it has sleep mode with different settings, so that is a good feature as there will be plenty of times I won't need to use it.

They're really good devices, I've used them for a while and once you get used to the features and the buttons/directional stick it's quite powerful - particularly for conditions where you're going to get constant wet/wind and don't want to be pulling out a mobile phone and draining battery/potentially losing it.

Only thing is make sure it comes with mapping installed.

Yes, I've seen that stick is definitely powerful and will take a little getting used to. I keep pressing that damn screen! I used to have a waterproof phone, but dropped it last year and now it has a few cracks at the corner of the screen, so obviously not so waterproof now. This device will make up for that.

The mapping can be very expensive depending on what you want - however, once you have it you'll never need to buy another map (OK footpaths get diverted etc)

I have the Platinum cards for both North and South of the UK and they cover every part of the country at 3 scales

1:10,000 (1mm on the screen is only 10 metres 'on the ground'
1:25,000
1:50,000

You can zoom in on each of those (although the detail is still that at the original scale) you can have, for example the 1:25,000 zoomed in to 1:11:000 or the 1:10,000 zoomed into 1:2,000

Streetview at 1:10,000 shows individual houses, gardens etc.

You can adjust the power usage by having it update every 10 seconds, or 30 seconds instead of every second - how far do we walk every 10 seconds ? Do we need an update ?

My battery lasts about 16 hours (2 days at 8 hours)

Mine came with the 1:25,000 Adventure Map, so whilst not an OS map, it is still very detailed. I might look out on ebay for maps in the areas I'll be going to most, like Yorkshire Dales etc. It is good to see the difference the scales offer tho, so thanks for posting them.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:26:59, 13/07/20 »
I was very disappointed with the 1:25k adventure map - an absolute waste of money.

From the SatMap website :
Our Adventure map is a recreational map, which has been compiled using the community generated OpenStreetMap (OSM) database therefore Satmap are not responsible for the accuracy and maintenance of the map data and some areas will be more detailed than others.
We have joined forces with the creators of OpenCycleMap to create a customized layer designed for our device and our customer’s needs.
This new mapping layer is exclusive to Satmap, featuring main street names, walking and cycling routes, hilltop names, contours and much more.

Really strange, walking along a footpath and it suddenly disappears off the map.
The map is apparently generated by 'public' generated maps and is not related to the OS.
If no one has reported a footpath there is not one shown on the map.
It may show where car parks are, it may show where 'water taps' are, but for walking it gives a false sense of security.

I'd really recommend the proper 1:25k OS maps for the SatMap - they are excellent.

« Last Edit: 19:40:21, 13/07/20 by alan de enfield »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:37:27, 13/07/20 »
Reminds me of my early days with my Etrex before I downloaded OS mapping.  I was using the Freizeitkarte for the UK and was wandering downhill looking for a field boundary showing on my screen, then I realised in Freizeitkarte straight thin black lines with abrupt angles were contours!
Solvitur Ambulando

Little Foot

« Reply #20 on: 22:52:35, 13/07/20 »
It should be ok for following a pre-installed hike shouldn't it? Is it a gpx?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:13:34, 13/07/20 »

I really wouldn't want to use it, the background maps are basically for cyclists and show all the useful cycling stuff (like bike shops) but little of interest to walkers.
Give it a try and see, it may do what you want it to.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:25:15, 13/07/20 »
If it is pre-loaded you should be fine.  My first gps had no maps at all, just a little human icon following a line.  I got quite good at bendology to match the shape of the line to the route I had planned to work out where I was.  I used to still take a paper map with the route printed on it.  I suggest you do the same at least at first, it will give you confidence in the device.
Solvitur Ambulando

Little Foot

« Reply #23 on: 08:16:49, 14/07/20 »
I research where I am walking and have my phone and maps for back up, so it should be ok until I can afford to buy OS maps for it. Fingers crossed!

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:03:26, 14/07/20 »
I don't know whereabouts you are, or your walking areas, but if it is any use to you I have a North UK SatMap OS card at 1:50k. (1:50k is roughly the same as the old 1" to 1 mile that many of us grew up with)
It covers everywhere North of a line from North Lincolnshire to Liverpool, I think you previously said you 'did' some walking in the Yorkshire Dales (this card covers them).

As you know, with the SatMap you can zoom in to any scale you want anyway but the detail will be less than a 1:25K.

https://www.satmap.com/great-britain-north-1-50k.html

You are welcome to it free of charge, if it is any good for you.
I'd rather you had a usable map card than the 'Adventure' card.

Edit to add screen shots.

These 2 screen shots are both using the 1:50K card.
One shows the screen at 1:50k, and the other is exactly the same 'centre' but using the 1:50k card, zoomed into 1:25k

Top one is 1:50k, bottom one 'zoomed in' on the 1:50k card to show at 1:25k

Click on the pic to see it larger.

« Last Edit: 15:51:18, 14/07/20 by alan de enfield »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:42:00, 15/07/20 »

Posted today - good luck.

Little Foot

« Reply #26 on: 19:26:14, 15/07/20 »
Alan is a star, and a wonderful one at that. Thank you!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:32:54, 15/07/20 »
Agreed, very generous. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy