Author Topic: Warm waterproof women’s jacket  (Read 851 times)

Flaidy

Warm waterproof women’s jacket
« on: 19:35:27, 05/01/20 »
hi there I’m after a new walking jacket, budget £200 max! After something warm and waterproof, previously had jack wolf skin coats but looking to change. Any suggestions would be grateful. Thanks

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Warm waterproof women’s jacket
« Reply #1 on: 20:24:53, 05/01/20 »
For walking I would go for a good quality waterproof shell with a fleece or duvet jacket underneath - gives you maximum flexibility.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Flaidy

« Reply #2 on: 20:28:33, 05/01/20 »
Thanks for reply, any advice on makes?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:26:28, 05/01/20 »
Way too many to cover on a thread here, we'll all have our favourites, but for £200 you'll be spoilt for choice  :)
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 00:32:16, 06/01/20 »
If you're wanting a longer length jacket I've recently bought one of THESE (didn't pay anywhere near that sale price though) which I'm hoping will prove a worthy replacement for my old and much loved "winter duvet" jacket which now has lumpy insulation, is no longer waterproof, has battle scars and a zip that requires a certain knack to fasten, plus it's miles too big for me now  :)

Naturally, since buying it, it's been mild and hasn't rained  ::)

If you're in no rush I can report back after my hols next week to let you know how it fared as the weather's not looking too great at the moment!

Failing that, Richard's layering system is a good suggestion which I also do but just have cheapo supermarket "puffa" jacket to keep warm and chuck a Regatta hardshell waterproof over the top if it starts raining.

I would typically wear a base layer and thin fleece under both "systems".

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:30:49, 06/01/20 »
Thanks for reply, any advice on makes?

I'm impressed by Mountain Equipment jackets - good quality, construction and attention to detail. I have a Lhotse but that is beyond your budget at £300+.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:41:39, 06/01/20 »
I see you mentioned Jack Wolfskin before and fancied a change, but if their sizing suits you then you could do worse that their products picked up during a sale.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:17:47, 06/01/20 »
For walking I would go for a good quality waterproof shell with a fleece or duvet jacket underneath - gives you maximum flexibility.

That would be my suggestion too.  O0

Something that is sometimes overlooked in these discussions is breathability. Many cheap jackets are totally waterproof (and warm linings can be cheap too), but jackets that are both waterproof and highly breathable tend to be expensive.

Of course, not everyone wants or needs a jacket to be breathable. If you walk relatively slowly over shortish distances then sweat probably won't be an issue, whereas if you walk briskly over hills and long distances then a jacket's breathability might well be its most important feature. As an aside and IMHO, pit-zips might allow some ventilation, but they're also an indication that the jacket material isn't actually very breathable!

Another thing to consider is weight and pack-ability. Rain tends to start and stop, and it tends to be much colder on top of hills. Therefore, a jacket will often spend at least some of an outing being carried in a backpack. This is another reason why using a waterproof shell and separate fleece makes sense.

There are loads of good brands and we all have our preferences (or no preferences at all!). I'm a big fan of Rohan - my Vertex outer shell is the most breathable jacket I've owned and it's completely waterproof and beautifully made. For warmth, I wear a Rohan Microgrid fleece jacket underneath.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:32:37, 07/01/20 »
Archaeoroutes recommended me the Mountain Equipment Zeno and it was a great jacket until I shrank out of it. Replaced it with a Rab Downpour jacket and notice very little difference in performance between the two. The Rab has only seen the town rather than the fells but it's seen some fairly bad weather and bad weather is still bad weather no matter where it is experienced.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy