Author Topic: Best boots for wet grass?  (Read 6998 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Best boots for wet grass?
« Reply #30 on: 12:21:41, 25/06/19 »
I would agree with Pitboot in that you will find that the vast majority of brands of waterproof socks eventually fail and some brands fail far quicker than others and finding some which are comfortable when worn with your boots may prove to be problematic. SealSkinz, Dexshell and Bridgedale's new StormSocks may be worth checking out. The budget offerings from Lidl and Decathlon (mostly aimed at cyclists) may be worth a look. A quick Google should find plenty of reviews except for the Bridgedale StormSocks which haven't been on the market long.

You can clearly see from the damp patches when i take my boots off. I do have gaiters but don't often need to wear them.

I would strongly disagree with your previous comment about not needing to wear your gaiters. The fact is that if it's wet enough for your socks to be getting damp the single biggest improvement you could make would be to wear your gaiters more often even when you think you don't need to and doing that wouldn't cost you a penny.  ;)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 14:43:16, 25/06/19 »
I would strongly disagree with your previous comment about not needing to wear your gaiters. The fact is that if it's wet enough for your socks to be getting damp the single biggest improvement you could make would be to wear your gaiters more often even when you think you don't need to and doing that wouldn't cost you a penny.  ;)

Totally agree, gaiters aren't there just to stop your trousers getting muddy, although of course they do that too.  I've bounded through water calf high wearing gaiters and my feet remained dry, they do need to be tightly done up though, and they certainly help in most wet or damp situations.  Vastly underrated in my view.
Where there's a will ...

Vendee

« Reply #32 on: 20:01:25, 25/06/19 »
The Goretex socks thing was a bit of a long shot and deep down I knew they were not a long term solution. This afternoon I bought a pair of Scarpa Ranger II GTX boots from Go Outdoors for a reasonable £129. I am currently pre treating them with some Scarpa HS12 cream and Leder Gris clear. Hopefully I will be able to try them out on a walk tomorrow. Regarding the gaiters, you might strongly disagree with my decision not to wear my gaiters but I absolutely know where my old boots were leaking.... from the flex points near the toe. My gaiters don't come that far down and wouldn't make the slightest difference. Thanks again to everyone for their help.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 20:17:23, 25/06/19 »
If you can find the exact place the water is getting through you could try applying a couple of thin coats of Shoe Goo or some other flexble adhesive suitable for use on leather to the area. It won't look pretty but should keep the water at bay and extend the life of the boots.

Vendee

« Reply #34 on: 21:55:06, 25/06/19 »
If you can find the exact place the water is getting through you could try applying a couple of thin coats of Shoe Goo or some other flexible adhesive suitable for use on leather to the area. It won't look pretty but should keep the water at bay and extend the life of the boots.

Its easy to find the exact place the water gets through. The leather darkens along the creases when the water seeps in. I've not heard of shoe goo but I'm doubtful that anything would seal the cracks with the amount of wax that has been rubbed in there to try stop the leaking. I think the damage was done quite early on. They were nubuck leather boots and the recommendation was to use a spray proofer but I don't think this keeps the leather supple or prevents it from drying and cracking. By the time I had switched to using Leder Gris, the damage was already done. I might keep the old boots for dry weather but I already have a cheap and lighter pair of fabric boots for that.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 09:27:02, 26/06/19 »
If you did decide to attempt the repair the damaged area would first need to be thoroughly cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) or White Spirit to remove any build up of wax and oil to provide a clean surface for the Shoe Goo or other flexible adhesive to bond to.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy