Author Topic: TR - Hindscarth, Robinson, Knott Rigg & Ard Crags  (Read 2122 times)

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

henryb

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Hindscarth, Robinson, Knott Rigg & Ard Crags
« Reply #1 on: 18:51:52, 04/01/17 »
Great report and photos Dave, my favourites are the panorama from Hindscarth and the view from Ard crags towards the eastern fells over Newlands O0  I recently walked the other side of the Newlands Valley from Dale Head to Maiden Moor and would strongly recommend the walk if you haven't done it already :)  The view from Dale Head is special.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:34:32, 04/01/17 »
Enjoyed that, nice one  O0

jethro10

« Reply #3 on: 13:21:15, 06/01/17 »
Were off up there again this weekend.
At Low Snab cottage, if you walk on a few hundred metres instead of turning right for the hill, you come to the entrance of the abandoned Goldscope mine. It entrance is open and it's common to wander up it, for close to 200m with a torch. You then come to a bit too low for me to want to try!

On scope beck, just down from High crags, you see a small tarn. It's man-made with a dam. It's purpose was to run a man made stream (called a Leat) along the hillside back to Goldscope, then it went inside the hill to drive a waterwheel pump for the mine.

I'm not a person who goes potholeing or mining, but exploring these bits of the area adds a great bit of interest for me and helps me force myself to get out on bad days.

East of your start point, towards catbells (We did this before Christmas), you come across the abandoned Yewthwaite mines. Again, great area to explore for 1/2 an hour and mull over the amount of work they did 100's of years ago without machinery.

J

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:42:05, 06/01/17 »
Thanks for that, I did wonder where the entrance to the Goldscope mine was; I was hoping to have a quick look inside but didn't realise it was down on the ridge side rather than somewhere on the crest. Now I know!
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:26:22, 07/01/17 »
Great photos Dave.
I did a couple of variations around here earlier in the year but my photos are nowhere near as good as yours. On one trip it ended up being glorious weather - but due to the heat haze my contrast was washed out.

This shot was on the longer of our circuits looking back down Whiteless Edge. We'd started at Braithwaite and circuited Cat Bells/Maiden Moor/..... down to Buttermere - then via Whiteless Pike with several more summits before finally dropping off Barrow, back to Braithwaite.
Now I have an excuse to go back and follow jethro's description to the Goldscope mine  O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

jethro10

« Reply #6 on: 15:42:56, 11/01/17 »
It's marked here on OSM and it's quite accurate. closer to the farm than I remembered

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/54.55659/-3.19456

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:35:35, 28/01/17 »
Twas a very pleasant day out :)
Skip

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:53:35, 29/01/17 »
 O0