Author Topic: Bank closures and its effect on hiking?  (Read 516 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Bank closures and its effect on hiking?
« on: 09:36:59, 10/02/20 »
I noticed in the Guardian they report that the last bank in Hawes is now closed. Do bank closures affect any of us when hiking? For me, Hawes is a major stopping point when hiking the Pennine Way. I remember getting money there once from a cash machine.

andybr

Re: Bank closures and its effect on hiking?
« Reply #1 on: 09:47:34, 10/02/20 »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:53:27, 10/02/20 »
The cash point is reportedly staying even though the bank has closed.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:05:12, 10/02/20 »
You can always use a post office to get cash.
Solvitur Ambulando

motorlaunch

« Reply #4 on: 10:27:15, 10/02/20 »
When backpacking I try to have enough cash to cover all planned expenditure plus an emergency reserve. You unfortunately can't expect a small village to have even a shop now.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:42:09, 10/02/20 »
With the rise of contactless it seems most places are happy for you to use a card for low value purchases.

You don’t see the “Minimum £10 Spend On Cards” signs much anymore, which makes a lack of cash less of a problem.

I’ve struggled in the past, particularly when the shop in Glenridding’s ATM was out of order for an entire weekend.
« Last Edit: 10:45:40, 10/02/20 by Percy »

andyapanel

« Reply #6 on: 13:12:35, 10/02/20 »
I had a very tasty Full English in Kington last year. When I tried to use Plastic to pay, the room fell silent and looked at me like I was a witch.
It happened elsewhere on Offa's Dyke, too. Luckily, I had a bit of cash, but it meant I ended up lugging a lot of heavy coins, which undid some of my ultra lightweight packing.
Some of my friends maintain it helps support local jobs, though I cant see the argument.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:55:10, 10/02/20 »
Having had a bank current account for the last 56 years I have never paid a penny so they provide me with a cheque book, plastic with guaranteed refund if things don't turn out properly as advertised, free cash dispenser when the bank is closed (at night or permanently), pay my standing orders/direct debits, Internet banking and for others the refund for fraudulent transfer scams where they have sent money to the wrong account.  I don't leave much in the account so they don't get much interest on my money.  Seems good value to me so if there are a lot like me then it is no surprise that they are closing branches.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy