Author Topic: Hiking Ben more & Stob Binnein weekend of may 13th, need to bring equpiment?  (Read 3263 times)

Ajwild

Hi all,

im just about to partake in my first Scotland, im doing Ben more & Stob Binnein from walk the highlands website im a kean hiker but this will be the biggest walk ive done and doing some research, is it feasible that we could be hiking in snow mid may? what necessities should i be packing as part of this hike?

Thanks
Alex

Summit

• Veteran Member
Looking out from my back garden I can see there is still snow on both tops. The weather has been good here for the last few days. Peaking at 17 degrees yesterday. A colder spell is expected over the next few days but if this good weather keeps up it's likely to take away the remaining snow. However it only snowed last week so you never know.
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Owen

• Veteran Member
I was up that way last week, there's still a lot of snow high up on Ben More and Stob Binnein it's very soft as you'd expect with the heat. The forecast is for it turn cold again over the weekend and into next week, so it won't be melting very fast. If things stay as they are expect lots of snow, if it turns warm and wet much of it will be washed away. Basicly anything can happen between now and when you arrive, keep watching the weather forecasts.
If it is snowy it will be wet and soft so probably no need for crampons, gaiters I would say are a must in wet snow. How much practice in ice axe arrest have you had? If you know how to use one it might be worth carrying an axe but you may well find you can just walk around all the snow patches. You can also use your axe to control your speed when bum sliding, always great fun. Even in Scotland sunscreen and dark glasses can be need so don't forget them, other than that just the normal walking stuff.
Which way are you planning to go?

Owen

• Veteran Member

Ben More and Stob Binnein on the horizon just under the cloud from the Tarmachan's ridge.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Hi Ajwild. Planning my first Scottish climbs for that week in May too.  Small world. Travelling up from Cornwall to the Nevis range and hiking the CMD route to Ben Nevis.   I have no previous experience of the high Scottish peeks in May.  What I have done is read up all of the route blogs on the WalkingHighlands.co.uk site.  For the accent in May, over the past several years.  As a result I've been out today and bought my first ice axe.  I may not need it, but from what I have read I might.  Recommend you read up.   

Ajwild

Thanks for the info guys,

Never used an ice axe before, would you recommend we get a few and youtube a bit to get some info? would you recommend any trust worthy brand for axes?

Im planning on doing the route from walk the highlands.co.uk but i cant post links on here yet.

im guessing well need to wrap up regardless?
would you suggest crampons just incase or no need really? just gaiters warm clothing and an axe? any other essentials?

Thanks
Alex

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
 Thanks Owen.  Very helpful post. A few things in those videos I had not thought about.  O0

Ajwild

Look at the current weather and the live feed of ben more, it looks like the snow wont be clearing for our hike.

Should we get crampons and ice axes? is there a need for tie rope?

Is there any danger involved in this hike or should we be fine? just getting a bit anxious with the weather and our general preparedness for this

Thanks

Owen

• Veteran Member
I would take both Ice axe and crampons, even if you don't need them for much of the climb. If you do come across an icy patch and you haven't got them with you you'll be stuck, and retreat may not be an option.

Ben More and Stob Binnein are just steep walks the ridge between them is quite wide so a rope shouldn't be needed. If you don't know how to use one it would be more of a hazard than a help.

On Ben More going in the direction of Stob Binnein there is a short rocky step about 100m south of the summit, de-tour around it on either side. It's only about 2 - 3m high but climbing down it is quite tricky especially if covered in ice.

If you start to feel out of your depths turn around and climb down, the mountain will be there for a long time you can always come back when the weather is better.

Owen

• Veteran Member
Another little thing, Ben More is at the corner of four different OS 1:50,000 maps which is really annoying.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
The mountain will be there for a long time you can always come back when the weather is better.

Hillwalking/mountaineering is all about common sense and making the right decisions on any day, Ben More is a big hill even for a munro, if the snow conditions or weather are not right on the day, look at doing another walk, something a bit lower, plenty to choose from in that area on your first trip to Scotland.

I always have several options available for each day and often make up my mind what I actually do minutes before I start or sometimes even half way round a walk if snow conditions are involved.

Ajwild

Can anyone recommend any good back up walks for us?

Thanks

Owen

• Veteran Member
Assuming you're staying in Crianlarich, there are woodland walks around the village and low level walks around Loch Lubhair in Glen Drochart. Or you could walk down the West Highland Way south-west to the Falls of Falloch. If you have a car you could also drive to Killin and Loch Tay or to Tyndrum for a visit to the gold mine. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy