Author Topic: TR Wild camp near Megs Gill Sat 6 Apr to Sun 7 Apr 19  (Read 2848 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We got the 73 Caldbeck Rambler into Keswick on Saturday, hurray it is the summer bus timetable. "Where is everyone?" the driver asked. Most people won't know it is running because the Carlisle buses have been omitted from the Lakes timetable booklet! The 73, 208 and 554 services are still running folks. I heard people in Keswick thought they had been cancelled.

Squeaky was sick on the bus. She hadn't eaten her breakfast. Instead of getting on the next bus at 9.30 we took her to the shore at Derwent Water to see how she was. She was running about and playing with sticks so we thought she must be ok. We got on the next 555 at 10.30 which broke down by the time it reached Fitz Park  ;D The bus managed to limp back to the bus station for us all to get on the 11.00 bus. We'd left the house at 7.10 and it was 11.40 by the time we got off the bus at White Moss. We'd already shortened the route because we didn't have as much time and we weren't sure how Squeaky would be if she was still feeling ill. We walked along Loughrigg Terrace to High Close instead of the original plan of Loughrigg Fell from Rydal and down to High Close.

Silver How and Grasmere from Loughrigg Terrace

It was a glorious day, warm with hardly any wind. The skies were blue but the long distance views were hazy. We soon stripped off a few layers, we were a bit hot by the time we got to High Close. We'd come prepared for winter, the temperature was to drop overnight.

The view of the Langdale Pikes from High Close

There was snow on the higher tops. We stopped for some lunch before we climbed up to the top of Huntingstile Crag. Squeaky wouldn't eat anything  :(

Wetherlam from near High Close

Beefy and Squeaky

On the ridge toward Dow Bank on the Silver How ridge

Toward Helvellyn from Dow Bank

We had planned to do Silver How and pitch near Blea Rigg summit but Squeaky was slow and didn't have much energy. It is normally us trying to keep up with her. She was sick again too. We cut the walk short and we missed out Silver How summit, crossed Megs Gill and looked for somewhere to pitch.

Megs Gill

We found the perfect spot, very flat, dry, with a 360 view. It was a bit early just after 3 so we had a rest for a while, then hid our rucksacks while we got some water to filter from Megs Gill.

Crinkle Crags, Bowfell and Langdale Pikes from our pitch

Langdale Pikes from our pitch

Toward Windermere from our pitch

Toward Helvellyn from our pitch

Back at the rucksacks we got the water on to filter then got the MSR up. It was about 4 o'clock and we couldn't see anybody about. We doubted they would see the tent anyway we were a long way from the main path.

The MSR on the pitch above Megs Gill

Helvellyn View from the MSR

We had some tea after we got our gear sorted. Squeaky still turned her nose up at food. We were getting a little worried about her now. We opened the wine and wondered if we would get a sunset view because the cloud had built up.

The sun appeared for a short time before dropping behind the cloud

The sun behind the cloud

The sky turned slightly red after the sun set

Not the best sunset we've had

We had a peaceful night, the wind was light overnight and it didn't get too cold. I had to take my second pair of socks off because I was too warm, a different story from last week. We had our breakfast but Squeaky still wouldn't eat anything  :(
We had been late getting up and we didn't pack up and go until 9.25am. There wasn't much to get away early for.

The view toward Blea Rigg

No point in going up there and we didn't think Squeaky was up to it anyway. Until she started jumping and spinning around playing with the tufts of grass she was biting off. She must be feeling better  :-\

Still some interesting views in the clag

An interesting fell is Silver How

Especially if you explore it beyond the main path

We climbed up to Silver How, Squeaky now looking a bit jaded again.

Beefy and Squeaky on Silver How summit

On the way down to Grasmere 

Helm Crag from near Allan Bank

Stone Arthur from near Allan Bank

We had a brew and something to eat near Grasmere. Squeaky still wouldn't eat anything. We got the early bus to Keswick, noting the blue sky and fell tops emerging from the clag as we left Grasmere. Squeaky had a run about, chasing sticks near Derwent Water but was sick again. At home Squeaky did eat some chicken later on Sunday but is still off her food again at the time of writing this, Monday. It looks like a visit to the vets might be on the cards.

**Squeaky update - she has been to the vets, has been given antibiotics and she has eaten some tuna**  O0  :)  O0

Day 1 was Booths - Derwent Water - Booths 2.4km Then White Moss - High Close - Dow Bank - Megs Gill - pitch 6.5km with 409m ascent

Day 2 was Pitch - Silver How - Allan Bank - Grasmere  4.8km 70m ascent then Booths - Derwent Water - Booths 2.4km
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Wild camp near Megs Gill Sat 6 Apr to Sun 7 Apr 19
« Reply #1 on: 19:12:56, 09/04/19 »
Oh dear :(
Oh well maybe shes on the mend.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

MarkT

« Reply #2 on: 19:25:44, 09/04/19 »
Beautiful pics April, do hope Squeaky is ready for his next adventure soon. Nice to see a little snow left on the higher fells.

BTW, would Beefy carry you if you were unwell? :D

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:41:56, 09/04/19 »
Beautiful pics April, do hope Squeaky is ready for his next adventure soon. Nice to see a little snow left on the higher fells.

I've carried Squeaky  ;D  I hope she's ok for this weekend
Great pics Ape of a great wild camp,  what a treat to look out the tent and see the langdale pikes, tremendous,
 video to follow 8)
Fancy a WC this weekend  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:53:22, 09/04/19 »

Gorgeous photos, April.

How is the dog?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:13:49, 09/04/19 »
Interesting read and interesting photos April. Glad squeaky appears to be on the mend.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:52:10, 09/04/19 »
Oh dear poor Squeaky  :(  Hope she soon gets better. Lovely pics from one of my favourite parts of the Lakes. That ridge from Silver How to the Langdales is a joy every step of the way ;)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:07:03, 09/04/19 »
Lovely pics of a great route, hope Squeaky is better soon.  Saturday was a lovely day,.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:31:01, 09/04/19 »
Oh dear :(

My photos aren't that bad  ;)

;D He would probably do his back in  ;)

Fancy a WC this weekend  :D

I do but it looks a bid cad - below freezing overnight :o

How is the dog?

Thanks Richard, the latest report is she is looking a bit perkier but still not right. Hopefully the tablets will work quickly and she will get her appetite back. She normally scoffs for England  :)

Glad squeaky appears to be on the mend.

I am glad too, she is a lovely dog and it was upsetting to see her not being her normal self

That ridge from Silver How to the Langdales is a joy every step of the way ;)

It is a joy  O0 Great pics of your Hadrian's Wall trip on your website Karl  O0

Saturday was a lovely day,.

It was so warm! We were down to one layer after half an hour  :)
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:35:12, 09/04/19 »
Lovely write up and pics April.  I'm liking the look of Silver How - a nice craggly, lumpy, bumpy fell - just my cup of tea.

Hopefully Squeaky will feel well enough for her next adventure  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:51:42, 09/04/19 »
Poor Squeaky, hope she's on the mend.

Good TR and pics.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:52:38, 09/04/19 »
Lovely write up and pics April.  I'm liking the look of Silver How - a nice craggly, lumpy, bumpy fell - just my cup of tea.

Yes Silver How piqued my interest too especially when I saw it in video. Think it's going on the visit list, it's only a little fell and I'm hoping nothing on it puts it out of my ability.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:37:29, 09/04/19 »
Simply smashing  O0
What a great spot with full views all around & lovely photos doing it justice.
You did the right thing(s) by reducing your plans to limit Squeaky's exertion. Glad she's perking up. Hope your cooking isn't implicated in her queasyness  ;D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:39:13, 10/04/19 »
Echo what others have said....Lovely photos April O0

Get well soon Squeaky :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:47:11, 10/04/19 »
Hope Squeaky's soon back to her usual self     :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy