Author Topic: B1 boot recommendations  (Read 3144 times)

Miles Prower

Re: B1 boot recommendations
« Reply #15 on: 12:55:22, 31/07/19 »
I thought your were looking for "decent pair of "B1" level boots to cover all year walking/hiking bit with crampon adaptability if required."

Sorry ninthace i was just replying to Bigfoot_Mike i am looking for the B1s,  just happen to have these too

Image result for merrell chameleon 5 gtx
The internet shows these as Chameleon 5 GTX.  If this is what you have bought, I would hesitate to use them as suggested in your original post.

Miles Prower

« Reply #16 on: 12:58:33, 31/07/19 »
I will second Mr Owens suggestion with the Scarpa SL active, as my friend bought a pair a few months ago.
He wanted boots to take advantage of the heavy snow in Cwm Eigiau, and to wear year round, over challenging terrain.
Their not cheap, at around £260-70 but there's no denying their quality, as their a serious four season boot, that if looked after, should give many years of sterling service.

When your buying a boot of this quality, and price, they really represent good value, as your unlikely to be needing another pair of similar 4season boots for many years.

Their Vibram sole, has a very deep tread pattern, and you only have to look at them, to see their quality.

Its such a popular boot, that i recon you may pick a pair up for a slight discount.

Visit your local Cotswold or good boot shop, and try on a pair, and if you have that kind of money to spend, they should certainly be on your final list of  boots.

Thanks,  unfortunately Scarpa usually too narrow for me...  definitely interested in the Altbergs,  just seems like a no brainer they have 5 widths and 1/2 sizes too... May take a short trip up to factory and do some sightseeing whilst there

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:40:19, 31/07/19 »

Thanks,  unfortunately Scarpa usually too narrow for me...  definitely interested in the Altbergs,  just seems like a no brainer they have 5 widths and 1/2 sizes too... May take a short trip up to factory and do some sightseeing whilst there

If you are based in London a visit to Taunton Leisure or Lockwoods would be nearer for you.

If you decide to travel ooop north I would personally recommend you visit Whalley Warm & Dry in preference to the Altberg factory for the better level of customer service they provide although there's no reason you couldn't arrange to visit both places in the one trip.

To save a wasted journey it would be advisable to book a boot fitting appointment at both places before you travel and also to check that they have physical stock in the sizes and width fittings of the models you are interested in as nowhere (including the Altberg factory) carries all models in all sizes and width fitting in stock.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:52:26, 31/07/19 »

Thanks,  unfortunately Scarpa usually too narrow for me... 

have you actually tried them on? You might be surprised.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:03:04, 31/07/19 »

have you actually tried them on? You might be surprised.
I did about a year ago and they were unwearable, despite a much older pair of Scarpas being comfortable companions for many miles in the past.

Miles Prower

« Reply #20 on: 22:45:35, 31/07/19 »
If you are based in London a visit to Taunton Leisure or Lockwoods would be nearer for you.

If you decide to travel ooop north I would personally recommend you visit Whalley Warm & Dry in preference to the Altberg factory for the better level of customer service they provide although there's no reason you couldn't arrange to visit both places in the one trip.

To save a wasted journey it would be advisable to book a boot fitting appointment at both places before you travel and also to check that they have physical stock in the sizes and width fittings of the models you are interested in as nowhere (including the Altberg factory) carries all models in all sizes and width fitting in stock.

Ok thanks that's good advice,  the video on Whalley is impressive,  I always struggle to find footwear that fits so is highly appealing!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy