Author Topic: Your furthest summit views?  (Read 14885 times)

robb

Your furthest summit views?
« on: 14:20:13, 20/02/12 »
I posted a pic in the pictured thread yesterday which turns out to be Cadair Berwyn and not Snowdon as my map-reading misled me to believe. However even Cadair Berwyn is still an impressive 63 miles *as the crow flies* and had the showers rolling in off the Irish Sea not been there I've got no doubt the inner Snowdonia range would be visible.

Which leads to me wondering what is the furthest you have seen on a British summit before? heights and weather would be a beneficiary factor, as I think the range of diverse summit views in the British Isles is second to none.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
Re: Your furthest summit views?
« Reply #1 on: 15:21:21, 20/02/12 »
I know you can see Hay Bluff from quite a way off, like from on top of the Long Mynd. Mind you, you can see a lot from up there including into Snowdonia in the right conditions.

And it propably doesn't beat 63 miles, either!  :D

Mayaculpa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:22:03, 20/02/12 »
Here is a view From Ben Nevis Summit 09-10-2010
of the Cuillin Mountains (centre skyline) 55 miles away. 
They were clearly visible to the naked eye.
For this pic, the camera was almost at full zoom. 150mm

Larger pic

If you can lead it to water and make it drink, It isn't a horse <(^_^)>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mayaculpa/sets/

Crib Goch

« Reply #3 on: 15:47:06, 20/02/12 »

Here's Blackpool Tower from the summit of St Sunday Crag - 50 miles by the crow - taken October 2010.

My mate has eyes like a 'netty rat' and said 'look there's Blackpool Tower'. I couldn't see it but put the camera on full zoom, and checked it out when I got home - and yep, he was right. It's one thing picking out a hill at that distance, but a narrow building ....................?

Oxenhoper

« Reply #4 on: 21:17:15, 20/02/12 »
On a clear day, there is a stupendous view of the Lakeland fells from Elslack Moor - and that isn't even a summit.  In fact, there's a road running across it with a lay-by about 1/2 mile south of Pinhaw, from which you can admire the prospect without leaving your car.  It's on my route to work  :)

Unfortunately, viewfinderpanoramas.org doesn't include the panorama from Pinhaw, so it's difficult to identify what you are looking at (for me it is, anyway!).

Looking in the other direction, however, Elslack Moor is marked on the view from Great Gable (60 miles), Scafell Pike (59 miles), High Raise, Helvellyn and Bowfell (57 miles),  Crinkle Crags (56 miles), Pike o'Blisco (55 miles), Coniston Old Man (52 Miles), Red Screes (51 miles) so I guess those are the hills visible from Elslack Moor - probably the Langdale Pikes and Dow Crag as well.

High Street is too far north - the shoulder of Whernside is in the way, and Helvellyn prevents Skiddaw being seen.
Oxenhoper was born in Burnley but had the sense to move somewhere nicer at the age of five days.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:30:12, 20/02/12 »
On a clear day, there is a stupendous view of the Lakeland fells from Elslack Moor - and that isn't even a summit.  In fact, there's a road running across it with a lay-by about 1/2 mile south of Pinhaw, from which you can admire the prospect without leaving your car.  It's on my route to work  :)

Unfortunately, viewfinderpanoramas.org doesn't include the panorama from Pinhaw, so it's difficult to identify what you are looking at (for me it is, anyway!).

Looking in the other direction, however, Elslack Moor is marked on the view from Great Gable (60 miles), Scafell Pike (59 miles), High Raise, Helvellyn and Bowfell (57 miles),  Crinkle Crags (56 miles), Pike o'Blisco (55 miles), Coniston Old Man (52 Miles), Red Screes (51 miles) so I guess those are the hills visible from Elslack Moor - probably the Langdale Pikes and Dow Crag as well.

High Street is too far north - the shoulder of Whernside is in the way, and Helvellyn prevents Skiddaw being seen.

This is very true - I used to live in Earby and when I were but a sprog, I saved up my dad's kensitas coupons (free with every packet of fags) and got a pair of binoculars. It was as I was laying upside-down in the heather on Bleara Moor (just next to Elslack Moor) that me and the bins picked out a range of mountains with a stupendous and rocky gap in the middle. People weren't gobsmacked in the 1950's, that didn't start to happen till the mid 1980's but I was  astounded and fascinated. The gap, of course, was Mickledoor between Scafell and Scafell Pike. It was a formative experience and one of the more positive aspects of my Dad's addiction to tobacco.
These bins also gave me access to views of the teenage lasses across the road changing their bras -  another important and formative experience till their brother spotted me.  Many a sleepless night was had with those bins. Nostalgia , eh? Ahhhhhh...
In fact (returning from the daydream) - the panorama from Pinhaw/Bleara is superb from Pendle to Bowland to the Lakes and the Dales...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:08:32, 20/02/12 »
I am a bit of a long-view geek, too! I think some of the longest lines of sight are over the sea from Cumbria - this was taken in November 2010 from Black Combe (extreme SW Lakes) showing Liverpool city centre with (left to right) the RC, Anglican cathedrals, and the commercial towers clearly visible.

That's 60 miles - not bad for a view of a city centre!

On the same day I could clearly see the Carneddau, 80 miles away, but have also seen them from Coniston Old Man in winter, which is more like 90 miles.

Recent sighting of Ben Nevis from Ben Wyvis impressed us a lot, but it's actually only about 60 miles.

Loadsafun!  O0
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

Gonzo

« Reply #7 on: 23:07:18, 20/02/12 »
I was driving over the top of the hill above Prestatyn on the North Wales coast about three years ago when I realised it was as clear a day as I ever remember and I've lived round here for over 50 years. I stopped at the viewpoint and very quickly picked out the peaks of Snowdonia, the North East corner of Anglesey, the Cumbrian fells and Blackpool Tower. However, between Anglesey and the Cumbrian fells there were other hills visible on the horizon. Thinking that it would be Snaefell on the Isle of Man I got out my road atlas and lined up the map of the whole UK with the points I knew for sure. Looking along the sightline on the map towards the Isle of Man I found I was looking at the clearest hill on the horizon. Between there and the the Cumbrian hills there were clearly several other hills, after checking and rechecking the only conclusion was that they were the Galloway hills. The highest of these, Merrick, is 135 miles away and I'm only at 200m high!
I know people are going to doubt this but I am a surveyor, a proper one that uses Theodolites etc. I know what I saw and I am happy with my conclusions. There are all sorts of factors to take into account the most significant probably being refraction over the sea.
Proving my conclusion is going to be difficult as duplicating the conditions is not within my power! The clarity that day was truly exceptional, the colour of the Cumbrian fells 75 miles away, was as if they were considerably closer. In all probability it was a once in a lifetime event.

http://http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/explain/atmos_refr/horizon.html
« Last Edit: 23:22:42, 20/02/12 by Gonzo »
Getting high on hills.

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:18:33, 20/02/12 »
I bow before your theodolite, Gonzosahib!  ;D O0 ;)

Sounds awesome - I could well believe it's possible... but I'd have trouble persuading the Mrs. She is always accusing me of claiming to see the Statue of Liberty from Snowdon - but I tell her Ireland is clearly in the way!  :o
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

thelifeofriley

« Reply #9 on: 13:03:53, 23/02/12 »
I shouldnt brag but as I live at about 1,000m  on the southern slopes of the Sierra Nevada in Spain I often see the Rif mountains of N Africa. From higher up  on the south ridge of Mulhacen  there is a view point from where mountains as far away as 250km  to the south can be seen.
'' a mountain view on life''

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:52:28, 23/02/12 »
You can see the Blackpool towere clearly from the Clwydian Hills on a good day.

Gonzo - I agree with you about refraction of light giving longer distances. I used to live in Iceland and from the cliffs near Isafjorður you could see the mountains of Greenland over 160 miles away in certain conditions - called Isblik in Icelandic.

While we are in Iceland our house outside of Reykjavik in Vifilsstaðir  was not much above sea level but Snæfellsjökull was easily seen - a beautiful snow covered caldera about 60 miles away. I summer the sun used to set behind it (briefly) - will have to drag those photos out.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:16:42, 23/02/12 »
Just found this - the lake behind my old house - I used to live opposite the old Hospital/Sanatorium at 0:21 and 1.53 you can see the roof - still painted brick red. Bit of a boring video and it ain't half changed - this was just a lake with no paths or roads when I lived there. Unfortunately it does not show the view from there across the Fjord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJwfeSBL294

peapod21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:59:23, 23/02/12 »
I took these on Sunday from the top of the Kymin in Monmouth.

This is the summit of Pen Y Fan which is 32 miles away.

The little lump on top of the ridge is Pen Y Gadair Fawr, where I got lost a couple of weeks ago. 21 miles away.
« Last Edit: 18:06:15, 23/02/12 by peapod21 »
You have one life, make the most of it.

lasramblas

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:34:05, 23/02/12 »

Not the furthest (about 25 miles by road not as Crow flys) but this was the view of Ben lomond from my bedroom window when I was a child.house is on other side of Trees

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:31:38, 23/02/12 »
Looking along the Clwydian range and out towards the Irish Sea from the summit of Moel Famau i could clearly see the Isle of Man .

This photo was taken while the people in front were preparing the fireworks for the Jubillee Tower celebrations in 2010.
Looking north but out of picture the Lake District fells could be seen clearly and they are Dent 94, Lank Rigg 93, Blencathra 103 and Fairfield 94. These were just a few i could see obviously i would'nt have been able to names to them with viewfinder panarama.
Not the best picture ,but i can assure you all they are there .
Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy