Author Topic: Garmin Maps for New Zealand - Big Let Down  (Read 4520 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Garmin Maps for New Zealand - Big Let Down
« Reply #15 on: 13:38:08, 07/02/19 »
Sussamb - I did as you suggested.  If I open the SD card in Basecamp I get the mapping perfectly but when I try to view the map on the Etrex screen I get the roads which increase in detail as I zoom.  Waterways and boundaries likewise, but contour lines and topological features are not displayed.  The gmapsupp image file is visible in the select maps option under the NZ Topo Add On map.  I have both enabled.  Any ideas?
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:42:00, 07/02/19 »
Try just enabling the one you want, sometimes transparency issues mean one map overwrites detail in the other. I should have time later to test it on my etrex  O0

Edit:  OK, works on my Etrex in that it shows what I see in BaseCamp but I'm not seeing contour lines, either on the device or in BaseCamp  :-\
« Last Edit: 14:07:17, 07/02/19 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:47:29, 07/02/19 »
As  Sussamb says it is best to have only 1 mapset open at a time as having more open can affect the various layers in the mapping. Talkytoaster mentions this in his advice for downloading OSM.
It's all uphill from here.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:16:42, 07/02/19 »
I have already had a go at that.  Enabling the NZ Autoroute map knocks out some the detail but turning on the NZ Open Top Addon has no effect but I have set it to off.  All other maps including the Wordwide, UK and BirdEye are disabled.  I have tried different detail settings and different dashboard settings.  All I get away from roads and tracks are my plotted track, water features, mountain hut and summit icons.  Detail setting is cranked up to Most.
« Last Edit: 14:21:11, 07/02/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:38:27, 07/02/19 »
Are you seeing contour lines in BC?  I've edited my post above and you may have missed it, as I'm not seeing contour lines, other details seem ok including POIs etc

Checking the map using JaVaWa's Device Manager reports that it has segments with different transparency, and it says on some devices it may show as two maps, so unsure if that is the issue.
« Last Edit: 14:41:35, 07/02/19 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:48:17, 07/02/19 »
Are you seeing contour lines in BC?  I've edited my post above and you may have missed it, as I'm not seeing contour lines, other details seem ok including POIs etc

Checking the map using JaVaWa's Device Manager reports that it has segments with different transparency, and it says on some devices it may show as two maps, so unsure if that is the issue.
I think you and I are seeing the same thing then.  In BC I have wooded areas, cliffs, contours etc.  On Etrex mountain peaks etc are just POI icons - putting the cursor over them or any other feature identifies it in the top window.  However, the topographic detail as shown in BC is absent.  I will just have to follow the route like I did in the good old days with my Etrex Summit.  The frustration is that the lines of and even the existence of trails varies between the LINZ map and the Open Map.  I have plotted my routes using the LINZ and exported the trace from the VR website to the Garmin.  I am feeling a bit vulnerable as I have no paper maps - I will try to pick some up on arrival and cross my fingers on trail marking.  I am told the tourist offices are a good source of info.  The laptop is getting left behind so I will not have access to BC while I am there - hence the preparation now.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:52:43, 07/02/19 »
Then we're not ... I don't get contour lines in BC  :(
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:04:15, 07/02/19 »
Have you got NZ Topo Addon ticked in the maps menu?
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:45:51, 07/02/19 »
Ah missed that, just downloaded the map  :-[
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:04:32, 07/02/19 »
MY BC looks like this
« Last Edit: 21:07:50, 07/02/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:19:16, 07/02/19 »
That does look good. What's the name of that map in BC?
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:25:34, 07/02/19 »
That does look good. What's the name of that map in BC?
  Free Open GPS NZ TOPO ADDON
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 23:11:34, 07/02/19 »
I'll try that tomorrow  O0
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 15:07:42, 08/02/19 »
Hmmm ... can't see where that is on their site, only map I can see is the one I installed that doesn't have contours.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:39:10, 08/02/19 »
Hmmm ... can't see where that is on their site, only map I can see is the one I installed that doesn't have contours.
I followed the instructions on the website http://nzopengps.org/index.php 
I started here http://www.nzopengps.org/public/Latest_Global_Indexing_Mapsets/ for the windows downloader
Which took me to 20190107_FREE_OpenGPS_NZ_Maps_Setup.exe  
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy