Author Topic: Country Walking Magazine subscription  (Read 1448 times)

redeye

• Veteran Member
Country Walking Magazine subscription
« on: 10:12:27, 21/01/18 »
Took out a digital subscription to Country Walking as we have decided to attempt the 1000 mile challenge. As well as the free gift of a fitbit (which hasn't arrived as yet) you also get a free years subscription to the premium OS maps for Android, in our case. Just been playing around with it and it looks very good and useful. I do have paper maps as well. So for £31 I have a £45 & £20 free gifts that will prove very useful, plus something to read on me dinner breaks and hanging around the airports, good deal for me I think O0  Any one else got it?

aw6334

Re: Country Walking Magazine subscription
« Reply #1 on: 15:39:28, 25/01/18 »
I paid  £25 (using tesco clubcard points) for the OS digital maps in August I have to confess I haven't used them much yet.  It is supposedly quite heavy on phone battery use, so bear that in mind.

I've just started subscribing as well, I got the 3 issues for £5 deal and then £19 every 6 months. I didn't need to fitness tracker as I have a fitbit already, so it seemed the best option for me. I have the OS map subscription which I'll start to use when mine runs out.

I like the routecards, I pull them out and put them in a folder to browse through on a rainy day....!

I'm doing the 1000 mile challenge as well - how's it going for you? Are you in the Facebook group? It gets a bit busy in there!

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:34:03, 25/01/18 »
I paid  £25 (using tesco clubcard points) for the OS digital maps in August I have to confess I haven't used them much yet.  It is supposedly quite heavy on phone battery use, so bear that in mind.

I've just started subscribing as well, I got the 3 issues for £5 deal and then £19 every 6 months. I didn't need to fitness tracker as I have a fitbit already, so it seemed the best option for me. I have the OS map subscription which I'll start to use when mine runs out.

I like the routecards, I pull them out and put them in a folder to browse through on a rainy day....!

I'm doing the 1000 mile challenge as well - how's it going for you? Are you in the Facebook group? It gets a bit busy in there!
Funnily enough I've just used the os map app to track a walk today and it looks like you have to have data on to record the route which is a bit of a bind. I have used it on a couple of walks following a route without data but yes it can use battery but I have a backup. I normally use the Endomondo app which keeps find useful and you don't need data just a satellite signal. Yes I'm in the FB group but don't post in it, busy isn't the word but some good stories of folk getting the bug  O0

aw6334

« Reply #3 on: 18:57:43, 25/01/18 »
Funnily enough I've just used the os map app to track a walk today and it looks like you have to have data on to record the route which is a bit of a bind. I have used it on a couple of walks following a route without data but yes it can use battery but I have a backup. I normally use the Endomondo app which keeps find useful and you don't need data just a satellite signal. Yes I'm in the FB group but don't post in it, busy isn't the word but some good stories of folk getting the bug  O0

Endomondo is my "go to" app, which is why I haven't really tried the OS maps.  I know you can download the route, I wonder whether it would still use data to record it if the map was downloaded?  (I'm clueless when it comes to phones!)  I will probably reserve the OS mapping for the more interesting walks, I don't really need it when I'm walking around the block  ;D   I just use endomondo to record the miles.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy