Author Topic: Wild Camp - on Google.  (Read 2858 times)

taxino8

Wild Camp - on Google.
« on: 22:04:56, 24/05/19 »

Anyone seen this?
I’ve just had a brief look.
I’m curious as to why you’d pay to “wild camp”, when you can anyway.
https://www.ukwildcamp.org/how-it-works

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild Camp - on Google.
« Reply #1 on: 22:25:48, 24/05/19 »
 Looks like someone trying to make a fast buck.Have you seen the price of pitches? From £20 per night!

taxino8

« Reply #2 on: 22:29:18, 24/05/19 »
Looks like someone trying to make a fast buck.Have you seen the price of pitches? From £20 per night!
Yeah, I really can’t think anyone who is serious about wild camping would go for it, maybe appeal to Urban types who don’t know any different or haven’t got the confidence to do the real thing.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:30:21, 24/05/19 »
£20 a night - Astonishing.  :o
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:02:56, 24/05/19 »
Well if you don't try things in life.  The vendor may end up a multi millionaire from that simple idea and poorly executed site. 

As said, not aimed at experienced wild campers.  More air b&b in a field than wild camping.

Pitboot

« Reply #5 on: 01:36:45, 25/05/19 »
Wild camping with a shower and toilets? I don't think so. It shouts rip off.

strawy

« Reply #6 on: 02:55:41, 25/05/19 »
£20?? rip off,although i dont wild camp,i would never pay that much on a site,bargain basement was £5 a night,hot water,free showers,no clubhouse,no bingo,no noise O0

astaman

« Reply #7 on: 06:39:31, 25/05/19 »
Sounds like a con to me. Anyway, by definition, it's not wild camping.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 06:53:40, 25/05/19 »

Agree - not wild camping.
and £20 without a shower/toilet as some of the sites seem to be really is a ripoff.
One site says 'suitable for open fires' and shows  the remains of a campfire just on the grass -  >:( :tickedoff: .
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:22:15, 25/05/19 »
On one of my multiple-day walks, when I normally wild camp, I spent a night on a basic camp site that I reached at the end of a day.
There were tree trunks to sit on - I could have found a wild camp spot with something to sit on.
The tap had a notice to boil the water, so I still had to use my steriliser.
The urinal was a walk away, further than the nearest wild camp tree would have been.
There was warm water from an antiquated shower, when I could easily have heated my own water. A shower would have been nice except I only had a tiny bar of hotel soap and a small Pertex towel; I expected to finish my walk the next day, when I could have a decent shower on a big camp site, using gear from my car.
There might have been noise from neighbouring campers, but fortunately everyone turned in early.
All in all, I felt there was absolutely no advantage at all in using a camp site, I would have been just as happy, happier probably, wild camping.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:55:21, 25/05/19 »
It sounds to me that the term 'wild camping' may soon have as many definitions as 'Leave!' To me, 'wild camping' just means that I  find a spot to pitch my tent for the night, anywhere that takes my fancy and I camp there for free. Like other comments, £20, phew, I wouldn't pay it! £10 is my maximum! As I hike I note that there are 100s of possible 'wild camping' slots, even in the UK the choice is endless!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:32:17, 25/05/19 »

Reading the first location's blurb .... "large groups welcome".... urrrrgh.  No thanks.

For £20 I'd want more than a loo and a shower "nearby".  I don't recall ever paying £20 to camp, even on sites with mutts nutts facilities  :-\

dank86

« Reply #12 on: 23:21:45, 25/05/19 »
I've seen some 'wild' camp sites popping up here and there. Generally they aren't the manicured lawns, you have a private area to pitch on natural land and most will let you have small fires

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:23:06, 31/05/19 »
Having started a redundant new thread because I missed this one somehow...  :-[

The originating website, still in beta and incomplete, starts with a howling error (or deliberate deception) on its home page: wild camping is not illegal in England and Wales.
I notice the 'Landowner Login' button on the 'About' page too.

@ninthace - thanks for the heads-up.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:24:40, 31/05/19 »
I enjoyed (and shared) your outrage.  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy