Author Topic: Boots dilemma, advice please.. Update  (Read 8623 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Boots dilemma, advice please.. Update
« Reply #30 on: 20:43:30, 08/11/18 »
If there ain't a standard then TS should encourage the Government Department to step in and enforce one.

I see what you did there !!!

And if they don't respond maybe they should 'put the BOOT in'.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 23:10:55, 08/11/18 »
No surprise there.

Shoe and boot sizing is a complete and total joke. I truly believe that it is time for trading standards to step in. and  force companies to quality control to the defined standard. ( If there ain't a standard then TS should encourage the Government Department to step in and enforce one.

I take anything from 10 1/2 to a 13 dependent on the make of shoe, I'm a pretty constant 11 now on the measuring tape devices.. It really shouldn't be that way.  It is a total and money wasting time consuming problem. ( oops I maybe should have posted this in the RANTS section.

Wouldn't that all boots to be made in the UK or do you want TS to have a worldwide remit?
Solvitur Ambulando

Ronin83

« Reply #32 on: 23:11:21, 08/11/18 »

Around that area and back on the instep.

I always find that area folds and prods my foot/toes on new leather boots. It generally gets better as the leather softens and becomes more flexible, but maybe not enough. Its a risk.
A boot with less toe lift should do that less depending on your walking style.

Id say try find a boot with nice soft, flexible leather rather than stiff hard leather. IveIfound the lowa renegades to be nice and soft and flexible. Like wearing trainers with ankle support

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 23:20:02, 08/11/18 »

I always find that area folds and prods my foot/toes on new leather boots. It generally gets better as the leather softens and becomes more flexible, but maybe not enough. Its a risk.

Id say try find a boot with nice soft, flexible leather rather than stiff hard leather. IveIfound the lowa renegades to be nice and soft and flexible. Like wearing trainers with ankle support
I work Leder Gris Extreme into the creased areas of new boots as the creases start to form.  My theory is it softens the leather rather than letting it work harden and crack in the long term.  Then I switch to ordinary Leder Gris with occasional application to the creases to keep the leather supple.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 00:34:44, 09/11/18 »

Wouldn't that all boots to be made in the UK or do you want TS to have a worldwide remit?
The Govt.  certainly has enforceable standards  for other products on import . Absolutely within  World Trade terms to be able to do so on boots and shoes
« Last Edit: 09:07:53, 09/11/18 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 07:10:05, 09/11/18 »
Another couple of military style boots which might be worth considering for your dog walking activities

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAIX-BROWN-HIGH-LIABILITY-Boots-British-Army-Military-15291-NEW-in-Box/273477626040

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAIX-COLD-WEATHER-MALE-BRAND-NEW-VARIOUS-SIZES-13-MEDIUM/202449941271

If you visit Taunton Leisure it may be worth trying on the Altberg Warrior Microlite Boots which are currently shown as in stock in sizes 13 and 14. It should give you a good idea of how the Altberg Defender would fit you.

https://www.tauntonleisure.com/alt-berg-men-039-s-warrior-microlite-boots-mod-brown.html

rockhopper353

« Reply #36 on: 15:58:59, 09/11/18 »

I have thought about a softer leather boot but concerned about the durability of them unless I go with kinkyboots idea of anotyer military style pair for use in crappy weather and save the others for drier days.

rockhopper353

« Reply #37 on: 16:04:23, 09/11/18 »
Another couple of military style boots which might be worth considering for your dog walking activities

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAIX-BROWN-HIGH-LIABILITY-Boots-British-Army-Military-15291-NEW-in-Box/273477626040

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAIX-COLD-WEATHER-MALE-BRAND-NEW-VARIOUS-SIZES-13-MEDIUM/202449941271

If you visit Taunton Leisure it may be worth trying on the Altberg Warrior Microlite Boots which are currently shown as in stock in sizes 13 and 14. It should give you a good idea of how the Altberg Defender would fit you.

https://www.tauntonleisure.com/alt-berg-men-039-s-warrior-microlite-boots-mod-brown.html

I'm heading to Taunton leisure in the morning and will definitely try the military style boots and see if I feel they are a boot I can get on with, if so I may go with a easier fitting style of boot for hiking, maybe fabric, depends how comfortable a leather boot they can fit me with.
Thanks again for finding me some different options.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 16:23:00, 09/11/18 »
The Govt.  certainly has enforceable standards  for other products on import . Absolutely within  World Trade terms to be able to do so on boots and shoes
Not sure World Trade terms have anything to do with product standards, isn’t it more a tariff thing?  Given that from your original post, we cannot even manage to get standard sizing within the UK, good luck with that.  As you say, TS do not decide these things, they enforce standards, they don’t write them.  I know of 3 sizing systems excluding male and female which one do you want?  I’m sure HM Customs will relish adding boot measuring to their duties come the glorious day.
Solvitur Ambulando

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 16:35:54, 09/11/18 »
I have thought about a softer leather boot but concerned about the durability of them unless I go with kinkyboots idea of anotyer military style pair for use in crappy weather and save the others for drier days.

I think you may have misunderstood why I recommended the military style leather boots in addition to a pair of decent quality leather hiking boots?

The idea would be to keep and use the military stlye boots purely for your daily dog walking activities (whatever the weather) as it's the daily dog walking that will wear out and destroy your boots relatively quickly. The main advantage of buying the military style boot is that they're relatively cheap to replace when that happens. It's senseless to be using and wearing out expensive hiking boots for daily dog walking.

In addition buy a decent quality pair of 3 season leather hiking boots and use them for your other walks on the SWCP and other occasional hill walking activities where the additional support they provide is of some benefit to you. Providing you clean and wax them regularly they should last a good few years.

In my opinion you would be wasting your money buying leather/fabric combination boots and would probably find them only lasting as long as the military boots. Their big disadvantage is that once the waterproof liner wears out or gets punctured the boots become totally useless in any wet weather.

Using a decent pair of Gore-Tex or Event gaiters will protect and extend the life of any boots you use.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 17:33:14, 09/11/18 »
Not sure World Trade terms have anything to do with product standards, isn’t it more a tariff thing?  Given that from your original post, we cannot even manage to get standard sizing within the UK, good luck with that.  As you say, TS do not decide these things, they enforce standards, they don’t write them.  I know of 3 sizing systems excluding male and female which one do you want?  I’m sure HM Customs will relish adding boot measuring to their duties come the glorious day.
What I meant was that the Govt can enforce whatever standards it wants and not fall foul of WTT. It would then be up to the shops selling the items to relabel if necessary (as they do with some makes of  US shoes according to my nephew). It really is that simple. Govt. agrees a standard;  the retailer should stick to that standard. Trading Standards are then able to enforce it, as they do so many other things.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Ronin83

« Reply #41 on: 17:36:02, 09/11/18 »
Yeh I think overall, the conclusion ive come to is to get...

1. A comfy pair of boots - maybe not as durable, maybe not AS waterproof, but comfy for long distances

2. A pair of 'tough as old boots' boots, eg military boots - for particularly bad conditions, bushcraft, dog walking etc, maybe not so comfy, but proper tough and waterproof.

This will mean both boots last longer and you can probs get both for a reasonable price.

I have the british army haix high liability boots. They are generous in size, wide toebox and seem bloody tough. Still breaking them in really

rockhopper353

« Reply #42 on: 18:03:12, 09/11/18 »
I think you may have misunderstood why I recommended the military style leather boots in addition to a pair of decent quality leather hiking boots?

The idea would be to keep and use the military stlye boots purely for your daily dog walking activities (whatever the weather) as it's the daily dog walking that will wear out and destroy your boots relatively quickly. The main advantage of buying the military style boot is that they're relatively cheap to replace when that happens. It's senseless to be using and wearing out expensive hiking boots for daily dog walking.

In addition buy a decent quality pair of 3 season leather hiking boots and use them for your other walks on the SWCP and other occasional hill walking activities where the additional support they provide is of some benefit to you. Providing you clean and wax them regularly they should last a good few years.

In my opinion you would be wasting your money buying leather/fabric combination boots and would probably find them only lasting as long as the military boots. Their big disadvantage is that once the waterproof liner wears out or gets punctured the boots become totally useless in any wet weather.

Using a decent pair of Gore-Tex or Event gaiters will protect and extend the life of any boots you use.

Getting leather walking boots is definitely my priority and hopefully tomorrow I'll get some. I understood where you were coming from the only reason Ive considered fabric boots would be on the grounds of not being able to find a fully comfortable leather boot in my size for longer hikes.
I think it's difficult for people to appreciate the aggravation you go through attempting to source footwear you actually want having great clod hopping feet, not being able to go into a store and try several different makes and styles out is a nightmare and I end up half the time having to take a punt online and hoping for the best!

rockhopper353

« Reply #43 on: 18:06:47, 09/11/18 »
Yeh I think overall, the conclusion ive come to is to get...

1. A comfy pair of boots - maybe not as durable, maybe not AS waterproof, but comfy for long distances

2. A pair of 'tough as old boots' boots, eg military boots - for particularly bad conditions, bushcraft, dog walking etc, maybe not so comfy, but proper tough and waterproof.

This will mean both boots last longer and you can probs get both for a reasonable price.

I have the british army haix high liability boots. They are generous in size, wide toebox and seem bloody tough. Still breaking them in really

This is the thought process I'm starting to go with now. I'd still like to go with leather if I can find a pair I feel are going to be comfortable for long walks but if not I might get some fabric ones and as you say go with the military type boots for the shorter dog walking through winter.

rockhopper353

« Reply #44 on: 18:21:47, 09/11/18 »
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292805897210

What do people think of these boots, I'm tempted if they go for a good price as I believe meindl boots are a wider fit, was hoping to try some at Taunton tomorrow but not got my size unfortunately.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy