Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 40011 times)

Lakeland Lorry

Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #180 on: 15:02:17, 12/01/18 »
A spokesperson from the Zip Off Thirlmere campaign has been interviewed by Sky News.

Here's a link to the interview:  https://youtu.be/yuNVgHjmcSA 

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #181 on: 15:04:24, 12/01/18 »
Friends of the Lake District have posted the following blog on their website today:

https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/blog/zip-wires-over-thirlmeres-open-waters-should-our-hearts-rule-our-heads

Zip wires over Thirlmere’s open waters. Should our hearts rule our heads?
Douglas ChalmersChief Executive, Friends of the Lake District
   Last day before the consultation closes. Last day to make sure that we have had our say, that any points we are bursting to make are registered.
Of course, this is “just a planning application”, that is in a prescribed process and any decisions must follow planning rules. But even within the National Park and World Heritage Site that is the Lake District, Thirlmere is a special place. The birthplace of the conservation movement. The valley that links the North and South Lakes. A distinctive landscape in itself.
There are those who say that Thirlmere is a manmade landscape. Of course it is, just as the majority of Cumbria’s landscapes are. From the tapestry of colours and shapes created by our farmers and foresters and drystone wallers, through the historic bridges that look “just right” in their setting, to the distinctive buildings in our villages and farm steadings, the hand of man is everywhere and contributes to the majesty and beauty of the area. These all contributed to our being granted World Heritage status. Thirlmere is specifically mentioned in the Inscription.

Image by Christine Shaw
Some say, “Well, there’s a road and car parks there anyway, so what tranquillity is there to spoil?” Unless I’m misunderstanding the principle of a zip wire, it has two ends, and I cannot believe anyone could say that the tranquillity of the west bank will not be shattered by landings, transfers and take-offs from that side.
“But young people want attractions like this to bring them to the Lake District”. “We need to create these exciting activities to bring more people into the area”. Who says that young people only want this type of activity? How judgemental is that? Of course the thrill of a zip wire is attractive, but that particular thrill could be achieved anywhere. Young people also demonstrate their enthusiasm for walking, climbing, scrambling, cycling, swimming, and even sitting still and letting the peace and the grandeur wash over and soak into them.
“The County needs more visitors to support more jobs”. Absolutely, but let’s think where they are going to go. The Lake District National Park Authority wants “initiatives that reduce non-essential travel, especially car based visitors, over Dunmail Raise between North and Central/South East areas”. There are other areas in Cumbria, not necessarily in the Lake District, that are crying out for visitor spend, so why aren’t we encouraging projects that will spread visitors over the whole County?
Cumbria Tourism’s own figures confirm that the majority of visitors come to the County because of the scenery and landscape and the atmospheric characteristics of the area, using words such as “peaceful”, “relaxing” and “beautiful”. The estimates for new jobs, visitors and income for the zip wires are dwarfed by the existing (and increasing) 62,000, 45 million and £2.72 billion. Do we put this success and that of many other small businesses dependent on visitors, at risk for the sake of one company’s development and to satisfy the thrill-seeking of a relatively small number of visitors with plenty of money?

Image by Colin Barnes
For landscape reasons and National Park planning rules, this development should not go ahead. It would conflict with National Park purposes and planning policy, is inappropriate and would destroy landscape character, visual amenity and tranquillity. Cumbria County Council recommend refusal because “it is likely to increase the risk and danger and inconvenience to all users of the highway”, a risk they describe as “severe”.
This is not a case of environmentalist luddites against anything new. Zip wires are not a bad thing, but they can be erected in the wrong place. Across Thirlmere is one of these wrong places.
The Lake District has a world famous reputation. It now recognised a World Heritage Site. We have an excellent example of how a landscape can provide huge benefits, spiritual and economic, to residents, businesses and visitors.
Head versus heart decision? In this case, there is no conflict, and this proposed development should be refused.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #182 on: 16:32:42, 12/01/18 »
Thanks for the links LL  O0

I see the BBC did get the caption right for Douglas Chalmers the second time around  ::)

Terry Abraham mentions on his fb page that BBC Look North (NE and Cumbria) were filming him today about the zip wire so this may be on the local news tonight. I will post a link once it is on iplayer.

Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #183 on: 06:51:33, 13/01/18 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09ljwpr/look-north-north-east-and-cumbria-evening-news-12012018#

Here is the link to the programme, the report on the zip wire starts 11 minutes 58 seconds in

It is only available until 7pm tonight

Mike Turner is now saying that the 18 million people who already come to the Lake District don't actually get out of their cars and climb the fells. The zip wire will encourage them to do this  ;D
« Last Edit: 06:59:20, 13/01/18 by April »
Hate will never win

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #184 on: 09:16:33, 15/01/18 »

Mike Turner is now saying that the 18 million people who already come to the Lake District don't actually get out of their cars and climb the fells. The zip wire will encourage them to do this  ;D

Bit daft isn't it? Suggesting ALL 18 million don't get out? That doesn't help his argument.
I live in a so called tourist trap. There are a lot who don't actually walk the fells, they arrive knowing the name and assuming the town itself is something special. They leave disappointed.
I live in Settle and it is dying.
Quite a few places to eat, none of which are doing well. The handful of outdoor shops, dwindling down to one this year.
Doesn't hurt me a lot, I'm retired, but the local kids  ARE having to leave.
During summer there are thousands of bikers (motor and cycles) who arrive and like to 'be seen' and have a natter amongst themselves. Sadly some then move on to die in the area.
Many thousand come and 'do' one or all three of the peaks. They spend nowt.
I see some great walking kit walking around, just making a fashion statement and all bought online.
It IS a problem. Areas like ours do need income generators. But what?
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #185 on: 10:41:18, 15/01/18 »
Its capitalsm innit! I like to offer something profound but I can't. The Lake District for some people is a theme park but not 'theme parky' enough for many. I decided to ask some people in the pub where I liveabout what they think of the idea. The basic view was, as one man in particular put it, "could'nt give a toss, its only a couple of wires mate", others more or less agreed but much more politely. We, I think live in an entertainment driven society and we do not make things anymore, so as the story goes, to provide jobs and profits, what a great idea!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #186 on: 10:56:37, 15/01/18 »
The issue being that it is not just a couple of wires.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #187 on: 10:56:59, 15/01/18 »
For Peters town, again perhaps not enough entertainment on offer? Eating and drinking tons of coffee and cake, posing with your flash bike is obviously not enough, maybe Settle needs a zip wire, or a night club or two? In our different ways, even places like Portsmouth have to put up with this kind of thing. We have a large student population and loads of local and external 'capitalists' are always trying to think of new ways to cash in by offering new entertainment for them. In our case we have a hideous concrete tower (my view, others think its beautiful!) at the harbour entrance and outlet shopping centre called Gunwharf Quays. So many many eating and drinking outlets to please the punters and of course the twinkly lights as well, plus the usual shoe shops. It has has its benifits, our estate used to have vandalism problems but since Gunwharf Quays opened we have not had any problems what so ever, they all go there instead.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #188 on: 10:57:57, 15/01/18 »
The issue being that it is not just a couple of wires.

For most people I bet it is.

Strider

• Veteran Member
Not all those who wander are lost

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #190 on: 09:29:32, 17/01/18 »
[quote

A poor arguement. The type of people who "...do not get out of their cars....." are unlikely to be adventurous enough to hurl themselves along a zip wire!

I am not against zip wires per se, it is a question of location.

Also, the arguement the Thirlmere scheme will create jobs is poor. I see they are described as "full time equivalent". This means seasonal, "gig economy" type work. What young people need are proper jobs, which probably mean allowing more industry to be created in the Lakes. Even if this created a few ugly areas, I would rather that, with real, full time jobs than seasonal "Alton Towers" work. This would also encourage younger people to stay in the Lakes.

Lakeland Lorry

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #192 on: 08:52:22, 18/01/18 »
A lovely piece written by Melvyn Bragg about Thirlmere.

It is indeed, Melvyn Bragg has a lovely way with words :)
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #193 on: 12:34:37, 18/01/18 »
They are discussing the wretched zip-wire plans today on BBC Radio 2.  Hopefully draw more attention to this un-wanted 'theme park ride'

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #194 on: 12:49:01, 18/01/18 »
Shame that the article and programme weren't about before the deadline for objections.

I wonder how long the planning process will actually take, we objected to something near our house in the summer and though the deadline for objections was early August and it was supposed to go to the planning department before October they still haven't decided.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy