Author Topic: Latrigg and Skiddaw  (Read 2966 times)

F12ODO

Latrigg and Skiddaw
« on: 21:22:37, 22/06/18 »
I am hoping to bag my first Wainwright in July.  I will be going with my partner and two children who are aged 11 and 7.  I really want my children to see the great outdoors

The plan is to first ascend Latrigg, when we reach the summit of that then possibly climb Skiddaw depending on whether the kids will be up for it or not.

Is it possible to climb skiddaw from Latrigg?  What kind of distance is it and do you think it is manageable for an 11 and 7 year old?

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Strider

• Veteran Member
Re: Latrigg and Skiddaw
« Reply #1 on: 22:40:38, 22/06/18 »
Yes, its quite possible, distance summit to summit is about 3 1/2 miles.  The path is pretty obvious and on a good day you should see plenty of people going up and down.  Whether it's manageable for children depends on the children, but as you're going up and down by the same route you can turn round at any time.  It might be a bit much for them if they haven't done any hill walking before.

Take plenty of water!  And note that the temperature up top could be a fair bit lower than in the valley, so take warm layers and/or a light waterproof as a windproof layer (this all assumes a sunny, dry day).

Allow 5 or 6 hours at least.

Oh yeah, and enjoy !
Not all those who wander are lost

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:02:05, 23/06/18 »

It's an easy enough path, but Skiddaw is still quite a climb for a 7 year old.

If in doubt, you might be better off going for nearby Catbells, which is a really good walk despite it's modest height of 451 metres. Also, it is easy to come down a different way and make a circular route out of it, perhaps heading south then east and returning along the shores of Derwent Water - the kids will love that!

Either way, I hope that it goes well. I climbed my first hill at the age of 7 - Helm Crag above Grasmere - and I still remember it, 50 years on.

PS - welcome to the forum :)
« Last Edit: 08:08:40, 23/06/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:05:57, 23/06/18 »
Good advice from the others.
Some 7 year olds will be OK and some won't. With my kids the oldest would manage easily and the youngest definitely not.

Doing Latrigg first should give you a clue how they are going to cope, though Skiddaw is a very different proposition.

If you do look at Catbells, as Richard suggests, you can also combine this with the ferry from Keswick.

MikeG

« Reply #4 on: 10:14:08, 23/06/18 »
As Strider says, it depends on everyone's experience of fellwalking in general, but I would have reservations. Latrigg will probably feel pretty straightforward and create a sense of security, but Skiddaw would be considerably more effort. The path is easy to follow but very hard and stony. If someone gets sore feet around the top of Skiddaw, it is a long way back and they won't enjoy it.

I would consider something like Causey Pike from Stoneycroft as a first Wainwright. It is a bit more challenging than Lattrigg to start with, so you will have more of a barometer about what the children will be comfortable with. There is more variety in the route - including a minor scramble - to keep interest up. There are options to extend, such as Outerside/Barrow and Sail/Eel Crag, which can be evaluated having gained more height early on.

I don't mean to be negative about the Skiddaw route. It may be perfect for you, but if you are not sure I would be cautious: it sounds like the last thing you want to do is put them off!

As Richard says, Catbells is another good option nearby, with lots of route options. The whole ridge up to High Spy is a good shout if in the mood.

F12ODO

« Reply #5 on: 10:15:52, 23/06/18 »
Morning Strider, Richard and Ridge

Thanks for the replies  O0

Thanks for the tips Strider, I will make sure we are prepared for any change in weather/temperature.

I wouldn’t want to make it too hard for the boys and myself tbh on our first outing so maybe give Skiddaw a miss. 

Catbells sounds like it would be more manageable.  Is it possible to go from latrigg summit to Catbells?  Climbing two in one day isn’t essential, just an idea if we still have enough energy and time left.

The ferry would add some more interest also and give our legs a rest  :)

I have been doing some research over the last couple of weeks and Helm Crag was actually my first choice to climb, the rock formations at the top really interest me however I have decided on Latrigg as we will be travelling from the Scottish Borders so it will be a bit less travel time.

Thank you for the welcome

F12ODO

« Reply #6 on: 10:21:18, 23/06/18 »
Thanks For the reply Mike

I am going to rule out Skiddaw.  As you say I wouldn’t want to put them off.

Thanks for the other options, there is a lot to consider and many options to go over

I like the idea of having the option to extend if we feel up for it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:45:35, 23/06/18 »

Catbells wouldn't really fit in with Latrigg. Catbells is the better of the 2 hills, in my opinion, and the walk can easily be extended southwards onto Maiden Moor (576m), and even High Spy (653m), if the kids' legs are up to it. I've done this walk a couple of times, returning down the Newlands valley. A beautiful round trip - but possibly a bit far for a 7 year old (you can judge that on the day).

I didn't know about the ferry - the kids would love that.
« Last Edit: 10:51:39, 23/06/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:07:09, 23/06/18 »
There is limited parking right by Latrigg - and it's only a short walk from there to the top, where you do get fantastic views over to Keswick, Derwent Water and the surrounding fells. Well worth a visit but it won't take long to do.

Maybe get there early and do Latrigg before driving down into Keswick for something to eat and drink (a picnic by the lake?), then get the ferry over and do Catbells after that? Will give you chance to have a break inbetween the two walks.

(I'm assuming here that you'll be driving - if not, perhaps April and Beefy can advise on the best public transport links around there.)

F12ODO

« Reply #9 on: 22:30:06, 02/07/18 »
Thanks for all of the advice.

We are going to travel down to Keswick this Saturday which is about an 80 mile journey.

We have decided that our first Wainwright will be Catbells and depending on how we all feel we may extend on to another summit.

A picnic by the lake sounds like a great idea adalard  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy