Author Topic: Any other crazies out there?  (Read 2082 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Any other crazies out there?
« on: 22:47:55, 31/08/19 »

So several months ago I found the website bellow.

http://www.dartmoorhighground.com/dartmoor-marathon

I'm a walker, never run more than a few miles in my entire life.  So the plan was to walk the marathon route.  Of course being so inclined that was never going to happen.  After researching on a few fell running sites, I found a training plan and set about getting fitter and learning to run, at least a little. :wink:

Any way to day was the big day.  Start time was 10:30.  My modest target for the 26.22 more and 5500 ft of climbing, that's almost 6 times up and down the shard, was 9 hours.  After a wet start the weather cleared and it was a great day out on Dartmoor.  Plus a bonus,  a not expected  time of 7 hours 37 mins, according to my photo log. Didn't actually time it my self. :oops:

Couple of pics.

Lie in tomorrow.  ;)
« Last Edit: 22:52:28, 31/08/19 by BuzyG »

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Any other crazies out there?
« Reply #1 on: 22:59:04, 31/08/19 »
Blummin well done BuzyG.  Hats off to you, you mad crazy fool  O0   All that training came good in the end  :)

Glad to see you gave credit to and provided a link to the "author" of your project or else you might get a snotty email from Reverend Ripoff citing plagiarism  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:01:54, 31/08/19 »
Well done Buzy - I was thinking of you as the rain went through wondering how you would cope.  Glad it cleared up - good time too for that route.  I have another one for you next year - try https://www.yomp.org  The good news is you do not have to run it if you don't want to.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:33:46, 31/08/19 »
Blummin well done BuzyG.  Hats off to you, you mad crazy fool  O0   All that training came good in the end  :)

Glad to see you gave credit to and provided a link to the "author" of your project or else you might get a snotty email from Reverend Ripoff citing plagiarism  ;)
Thanks Mell.  Yes  I have to say the training did pay off.  Meant I was actually able to catch a few people as the day went on and I realized there was still a bit left in the tank. Mind I did set off walking for the first climb up Yes tor.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:47:14, 31/08/19 »
Well done Buzy - I was thinking of you as the rain went through wondering how you would cope.  Glad it cleared up - good time too for that route.  I have another one for you next year - try https://www.yomp.org  The good news is you do not have to run it if you don't want to.

The weather was less severe than I was expecting.  Guess we where down in the valley for most of the wet spell.  I had my full walking waterproofs in my sack.  Only needed my jacket a few times in the end.  Passing through the top of West Mill Tor for the first time, presented a classic, instant, change of weather as we past from the Lee slope into the 30 mph driver rain.  By High Willhays the rain had stopped though? So it was tee shirt all the ay from there. :)

The romp looks like fun.  June though. It's bound to rain. ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:52:44, 31/08/19 »

The romp looks like fun.  June though. It's bound to rain. ;)
Not necessarily. Two years before I did it for the first time, it snowed.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:09:52, 01/09/19 »
Fantastic achievement - well done! And thanks for the link too which was very interesting.  O0

I think that of all the various outdoor activities, trail/hill running is the most deserving of admiration. I'm always in awe of people who run past me like mountain goats as I slog through bogs or pick my way carefully over rocks.

Unlike you  ;), I don't run and I don't do organised events, but I do like to set myself the occasional challenge. And since you did ask about crazies...  8)

A few months ago I set my personal distance record of 32.3 miles in 7h:55m, walking non-stop the whole way.

I didn't set out to beat my previous best distance of 30 miles - it began as a regular walk and I'd expected to do about 20 miles by going as far as Reculver and back, but I kept going towards Birchington-on-Sea because I hadn't got that far before and the conditions were good. Then it occurred to me that I might be able to better my previous best. Just to be sure, as I neared Whitstable I decided to keep going along the coast as far as Seasalter and get to 32 miles overall - which is a nice round number (in binary, that is!).

(I must point out that the total ascent was only about a fifth of what you did and the terrain was very easy!)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:08:39, 01/09/19 »
Well done that's a great achievement.

In April 2000 I did what might have been the last OATS walk across the moor from Ivybridge to Okehampton. 27 miles but without going up and down tors took a leisurely 10 hours - though that did include a long lunch stop at Postbridge. There was snow in the peat passes. Good day out.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:11:11, 01/09/19 »
Fantastic achievement - well done! And thanks for the link too which was very interesting.  O0

I think that of all the various outdoor activities, trail/hill running is the most deserving of admiration. I'm always in awe of people who run past me like mountain goats as I slog through bogs or pick my way carefully over rocks.

Unlike you  ;) , I don't run and I don't do organised events, but I do like to set myself the occasional challenge. And since you did ask about crazies...  8)

A few months ago I set my personal distance record of 32.3 miles in 7h:55m, walking non-stop the whole way.

I didn't set out to beat my previous best distance of 30 miles - it began as a regular walk and I'd expected to do about 20 miles by going as far as Reculver and back, but I kept going towards Birchington-on-Sea because I hadn't got that far before and the conditions were good. Then it occurred to me that I might be able to better my previous best. Just to be sure, as I neared Whitstable I decided to keep going along the coast as far as Seasalter and get to 32 miles overall - which is a nice round number (in binary, that is!).

(I must point out that the total ascent was only about a fifth of what you did and the terrain was very easy!)

Thanks Dave 32 miles in under eight hours isn't too shabby.  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:15:36, 01/09/19 »
Well done that's a great achievement.

In April 2000 I did what might have been the last OATS walk across the moor from Ivybridge to Okehampton. 27 miles but without going up and down tors took a leisurely 10 hours - though that did include a long lunch stop at Postbridge. There was snow in the peat passes. Good day out.

Not heard of the Oats walk.  Does that refer to Captain Oats?  What is the route? It sounds like one our ramblers group might be interested in.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:59:27, 01/09/19 »
No connection with Capt Oats - the 'going out, I may be some time' quote could apply but, hopefully, not with the same outcome.

The OATS walk, named after the organisers, Okehampton Adventure Training Scheme, went from New Waste, Ivybridge to Okehampton via various checkpoints including Postbridge. The exact route was up to the individuals so the distance would not be identical for each person but my certificate has it as 27.5 miles.
Originally held in April, to avoid possible disturbance to nesting birds it was changed to October which may have caused it's decline in popularity; the last one was in 2004. To the best of my knowledge it was always a one day event.

I really enjoyed the day but it didn't inspire me to continue 20+ mile days.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:23:52, 01/09/19 »
Well done BuzyG. That's some going! I don't know if I'll ever be as crazy as you, I thought I wouldn't be the fat man jogging with his man boobs bouncing around down the street but increasingly I'm finding on uphill sections of my town walks I break into a jog, losing my trousers in the process. If I keep doing it I'll have to get one of those things to strap your phone to your arm.

Dave that's incredible, my fastest walk around town (which is easier and probably had less relative ascent) is 3.72 mph and I literally can't move any quicker without jogging. 4 mph walk is something else.

Jac that's a very long way too. This forum's full of exceptional people!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:42:51, 01/09/19 »
Great achievement BuzyG  O0 Definitely crazy though  :)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:48:23, 01/09/19 »
Forgot to add:- the one and only event I ever entered was a charity affair back in 1994 to support Kintail Mountain Rescue. That event was walk-only, no running, 22 miles and 4000+ feet, that was crazy enough for me  :)

Anyway, these people who run up multiple hills and mountains in a day... nah, not possible, clearly figments of a deranged imagination.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:56:12, 01/09/19 »
Up until  my first attempt at the now discontinued South Wales Marathon Walk, a magnificent Challenge event from one side of the Brecon Beacons National park, to the other, on recollection, the furthest i had ever walked in a single day, was 22miles.

I walked along the roads when on holiday in the Yorkshire Dales, when i was 17yrs old, and kept walking and walking all day, back to the campsite i was staying at with friends.

They calculated i had walked in excess of 20miles, and i t certainly felt like it.

Years later, after continually trumping up and down the escarpments of the main Beacons, in all weather, i bought a copy of Chris Barbers book on  Exploring the Brecon Beacons, in Chrickhowell Adventure Gear in Brecon.

That was in about 1981 or there abouts, just after the book was released.

In the back was a great adventure, of a Challenge walk, that i think was originally started by his father back in 1947.

At the time, it was still one of the oldest continually run Challenge Walk in the country, so had been going continually since that date.

I sent my money off to his home in llanfoist outside Abergavenny, and turned up to the Red lion inn in Llandeusant outside Llandovery, in early June.

Roughly 52 to 53 miles to the outside of Capel Y Fin Youth Hostel, having traversed over the seven highest peaks in the National park, i arrived, totally spent, not being able to feel my legs due to fatigue.

I had walked all day, starting at 4am in the morning, and around 16hrs later, completed my first of seven South Wales Marathon Walks.

I had walked almost three times further than i had ever walked before, and was dead chuffed with my effort.

It just goes to show, our bodies are willing to push through a lot of discomfort if we explore our inner selves.
« Last Edit: 14:02:11, 01/09/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy