Author Topic: TR Watch Hill and Setmurthy Common Sat 2 Mar 19  (Read 2287 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Back to day walks last weekend, the weather wasn't forecast to be very good in the afternoon. We got the bus to Cockermouth to go over Watch Hill and Setmurthy Common and we would catch the bus back to Cockermouth from Brathay Hill. We hoped to beat the rain that was forecast for later. It was really blustery when we started from Cockermouth. Beefy asked me if Cockermouth was in the Lake District National Park as we walked from the town centre. It was something I'd not that about before and it wasn't until I checked the map later that I realised the start of this walk is outside the National Park.

On the way up Watch Hill

Skiddaw from the ascent of Watch Hill

We hadn't expected such good views and the sun was shining. It was really cold in the wind though.

Squeaky having a great day out

We'd asked another walker with a dog who had descended from Watch Hill if there were any sheep in the fields. She'd said they were sheep free and she'd been right on the top. We let Squeaky have a run about and chase some sticks.

The obligatory shot of the bent tree and gate post that looks like a gravestone

Grisedale Pike and Hopegill Head from Watch Hill

Toward Lorton from Watch Hill

There is a lot of cloud building up over there.

On Watch Hill

Squeaky was back on her lead. The walker we'd spoken to earlier must have missed the flock of sheep on t'other side of Watch Hill. Luckily I spotted one of them and Squeaky was on the lead before she'd noticed them.

The view from Setmurthy Common 

It was really windy on Watch Hill and it was relentless. We were relieved when we got into Setmurthy Plantation and a bit of shelter.

On the way through Setmurthy Plantation

Once out of the woods we tried to find somewhere for lunch but the wind was blowing in all directions so we had a quick bite to eat and a hurried brew.

Binsey from near our lunch spot

The view on the way to Elva Plain

There was a bit of road walking now, not for long, we turned right by Higham Hall and joined a ROW to Brathay Hill.

Skiddaw and Ullock Pike from near Higham Hall

We didn't escape the rain, it started as we were waiting for the bus back to Cockermouth. We also had a bit of a wait for the bus home when we got there, 45 minutes. We walked around Cockermouth to keep warm. Thankfully the rain was a bit start/stop so we didn't get too wet. It was really cold in the wind that had got even stronger and we were pleased when our bus turned up. The route was Cockermouth Main Street - Watch Hill - Setmurthy Common - Elva Plain - Higham Hall - Brathay Hill, plus Cockermouth wandering. 10.5km with 272m ascent. 2 hours 15 minutes walking time on the Watch Hill walk. It was a much better day than we expected despite getting caught in the rain.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Watch Hill and Setmurthy Common Sat 2 Mar 19
« Reply #1 on: 19:17:25, 05/03/19 »
Great pics Ape O0
Roll on summer and the wild camps 8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:06:48, 05/03/19 »
Lovely pics, I had to look at a map to be sure where you were as I've never seen the views from that direction.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:36:16, 06/03/19 »
Roll on summer and the wild camps 8)

Aye, better weather please, looks pants for this weekend too

I had to look at a map to be sure where you were as I've never seen the views from that direction.

:) It isn't a bad walk to do when the weather isn't that great  :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:15:13, 06/03/19 »
Always good to get out when the forecast is rubbish - and that looks like a nice place to walk - only ever been to Cockermouth to get shopping.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:51:08, 06/03/19 »
Good photos from an unfamiliar vantage point. Watch Hill is one of the significant summits we could never satisfactorily fit into a longer route and have never visited.
I take it there are no difficulties walking from the 254m summit ENE through the plantation, the map doesn't show any path.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:43:02, 07/03/19 »
@ pdstsp - I have only ever gone to Cockermouth to go walking  :)

I take it there are no difficulties walking from the 254m summit ENE through the plantation, the map doesn't show any path.

There is a stile leading into Setmurthy Plantation from Setmurthy Common summit and there is a path on the ground leading to a forest road then another path left off the forest road into the trees going toward the right of way near Elva Hill. Watch Hill summit and Setmurthy Common are not in access land and it is not on a right of way so it is a bit of a trespass really. I think it is tolerated/accepted for people to walk there, they are in the Wainwright Outlying Fells book. He didn't mind the odd trespass  ;) The forest roads in Setmurthy Plantation are used by mountain bikers and walkers so again I think it is ok to walk in them. We have walked down through the forest to the road a few times, it is a nice place

Hate will never win

MarkT

« Reply #7 on: 08:49:59, 07/03/19 »
Great pics and nice to see a different area less popular with walkers. Can't beat a walk and not seeing the masses.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:45:39, 07/03/19 »
Like the forest shot, looks a nice place  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:51:57, 07/03/19 »
Can't beat a walk and not seeing the masses.

:) it is nice having the place to yourself  :)

It is nice in the woods there pleb  O0
Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:35:17, 09/03/19 »
Lovely pictures, April - we usually stay in Cockermouth when we're in that part of the Lake District & that looks like a good walk to keep in mind for if the weather's due to be a bit heavy high up.  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:28:46, 09/03/19 »
Thanks adalard  O0
Hate will never win

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:40:44, 10/03/19 »
I thought I know the lakes pretty well and it took me ages to figure out where you actually were on the topo map!  Interesting part of the lakes I've never been particularly drawn to, but nice to see you can get a variety of views!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:18:50, 11/03/19 »
It is a nice walk, especially if the weather isn't that great  :)
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #14 on: 11:24:04, 12/03/19 »
Nice walk on one of my local fells, and one that I do on a regular basis.

The walk can be made into a circular walk by following the forest track in a north westerly direction through Setmurphy Plantation.   After following the forest track NW for about half an hour you'll meet a path on your left, coming down from the summit.   This is the path that continues through Hills Wood and onto the Isel Road.   At the 150 contour line (see map link below), turn left and walk uphill and then retrace your steps back down Watch Hill to the road.

https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walk_220.html

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy