Author Topic: GCSE Collapsible Water Bottle Project  (Read 1431 times)

Luke.Kelly19

GCSE Collapsible Water Bottle Project
« on: 20:45:47, 10/02/20 »
For my Design and Technology GCSE coursework, I have chose a countryside context in which I must create a product to improve people's experience in the countryside. I decided to chose a water bottle and in order to make this bottle stand out and unique, I decided i will be making it collapsible. This will allow the bottle to become pocket sized after the user has finished drinking. Please could you fill out the questionnaire below, as it would help me greatly,
Luke.

Q1) Do you use a water bottle when walking/hiking?

Q2) Would you consider using a collapsible water bottle so that when you have finished the drink it can fit in your pocket?

Q3) How much water would you like a water bottle to hold for your walks/hikes?

Q4) How big would you like it to be when it is not collapsed?

Q5) How big would you like it to be when it has been collapsed?

Q6) Would you like the bottle to have a built in straw for ease of use?

Q7) Would you like the bottle to be held in place while it is collapsed? (Strap to keep the two sides together)

Q8) would you like the bottle to have a clip/strap to connect to your bag or to hold onto.

Q9) What variety of colours would you like the bottle to have?

Q10) Are there any other accessories you would like added to the bottle? If so please specify

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
Re: GCSE Collapsible Water Bottle Project
« Reply #1 on: 21:30:29, 10/02/20 »

Yes

Q2) Would you consider using a collapsible water bottle so that when you have finished the drink it can fit in your pocket?

Possibly but if I have found the space for a normal bottle, whether it is full or empty then makes little difference

If a choice of only one size, half a litre. Otherwise, a half and one litre

The volume will dictate its size pretty much but I think tall and slim appeals more than short and fat.

Depends whether it collapses top to bottom or side to side

No - difficult to keep clean

Q7) Would you like the bottle to be held in place while it is collapsed? (Strap to keep the two sides together)

Yes because if it springs open, it's ability to collapse could be reduced

Q8) would you like the bottle to have a clip/strap to connect to your bag or to hold onto

No - can't stand things flapping about.

Don't care

Q10) Are there any other accessories you would like added to the bottle? If so please specify

In colder weather, I usually take a half litre flask of hot water to make tea, as well as a water bottle. The cups with such flasks are tiny. If a collapsible cup could be combined with the bottle this could appeal. As with anything for a rucksack, it needs to be as light as possible.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:49:45, 10/02/20 »

YES

NO. IF I HAD A JACKET ON I WOULDN'T WANT TO PUT IT IN MY POCKET. I CARRY A PHONE AND CAMERA, A PEN AND TISSUES, NO ROOM FOR A BOTTLE. IF I AM NOT WEARING A JACKET I HAVE A BUM BAG FOR MY BITS. AGAIN NO ROOM FOR A BOTTLE. I WOULD PUT IT IN MY RUCKSACK.

I CARRY TWO PLASIC BOTTLES 500ML EACH.

500ML SIZE

SMALLER

NO. I DON'T LIKE STRAWS

WOULD BE USEFUL

Q8) would you like the bottle to have a clip/strap to connect to your bag or to hold onto.
NO. I KEEP MY WATER BOTTLES IN THE SIDE POCKETS OF MY RUCKSACK

PINK FOR A GIRL

NOPE. A BOTTLE AND A TOP IS FINE

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:00:13, 10/02/20 »
Yes, or a bag. Often both.

I've considered it now you've mentioned it, and - no. I really can't see the need. Whatever it was in to start with, it can go back in. I'm not carrying it in my hands - I need them for holding on to rocks when scrambling, maps, etc. etc

2-3l. Now, here's the one area where collapsible makes sense - if I only need a small amount of water, say 2l, then I could only extend it that much and save space right from the start. But then, a bag's far superior than a bottle for that, so still not really needed.

Well, big enough to fit the amount of water specified above. It's not really possible to change that much.

As small as possible.

Why on earth would I? I'm quite capable of drinking from it by unscrewing the lid. And adding straws and the like to the a bottle makes it harder to clean and more likely to stop working.
For cases where I need to be hand-free, I have a bag with a drinking tube.

No preference, other than don't add fiddly bits or pointless extra weight.

Again, why would I? It goes in the bag - sorted. Things swinging around on the outside of a bag is annoying or worse. And what's the idea about holding it in a hand?

Purple would be good. Make sure you avoid red (petrol) and silver (meths).

A silent drone kit slaved to me by image recognition, so it follows me around without me having to carry it.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:03:15, 10/02/20 »
Q1) Do you use a water bottle when walking/hiking?  YES

Q2) Would you consider using a collapsible water bottle so that when you have finished the drink it can fit in your pocket? No, sorry I like something firm to drink from

Q3) How much water would you like a water bottle to hold for your walks/hikes? 1 LITRE but two of them .

Q4) How big would you like it to be when it is not collapsed? 30cm x 6 cm

Q5) How big would you like it to be when it has been collapsed? N/A

Q6) Would you like the bottle to have a built in straw for ease of use? No. I like to gulp water, even if it`s one gulp...very satisfying

Q7) Would you like the bottle to be held in place while it is collapsed? (Strap to keep the two sides together) N/A

Q8) would you like the bottle to have a clip/strap to connect to your bag or to hold onto. NO. I prefer to use a pocket on the side of my ruck sack

Q9) What variety of colours would you like the bottle to have? Any neutral colour

Q10) Are there any other accessories you would like added to the bottle? If so please specify Just a simple screw top that is sturdy and doesn`t leak
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:09:37, 10/02/20 »
Q1) Do you use a water bottle when walking/hiking? YES

Q2) Would you consider using a collapsible water bottle so that when you have finished the drink it can fit in your pocket? YES

Q3) How much water would you like a water bottle to hold for your walks/hikes? 1l

Q4) How big would you like it to be when it is not collapsed? 7cm DIAMETER CYLINDER

Q5) How big would you like it to be when it has been collapsed? AS SMALL AS POSSIBLE

Q6) Would you like the bottle to have a built in straw for ease of use? NO

Q7) Would you like the bottle to be held in place while it is collapsed? (Strap to keep the two sides together) NO

Q8) would you like the bottle to have a clip/strap to connect to your bag or to hold onto. YES

Q9) What variety of colours would you like the bottle to have? DON'T CARE

Q10) Are there any other accessories you would like added to the bottle? If so please specify I ALWAYS USE A BOTTLE WHICH HAS A FILTER SO THAT I CAN FILL IT FROM ANY WATER SOURCE.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:30:58, 10/02/20 »

Q1) Do you use a water bottle when walking/hiking? Yes

Q2) Would you consider using a collapsible water bottle so that when you have finished the drink it can fit in your pocket? No

Q3) How much water would you like a water bottle to hold for your walks/hikes? One litre. For a longer walk I would want a lot more water and would carry this in a bladder in my rucksack.

Q4) How big would you like it to be when it is not collapsed? One litre sized

Q5) How big would you like it to be when it has been collapsed? N/a

Q6) Would you like the bottle to have a built in straw for ease of use? No

Q7) Would you like the bottle to be held in place while it is collapsed? (Strap to keep the two sides together) n/a

Q8) would you like the bottle to have a clip/strap to connect to your bag or to hold onto. No

Q9) What variety of colours would you like the bottle to have? Anything unobtrusive.

Q10) Are there any other accessories you would like added to the bottle? If so please specify No

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:52:33, 10/02/20 »
 Sometimes

Possibly, depends on quality and durability

1 litre

Suggest no wider than 80mm to fit pack pockets

80mm diameter, min height practicable, probably 40mm with closure.

Suggest screw on cap with flip up or pull up opening.  Make it collapse progressively as water is used up

Suggest hold top and bottom together rather than sides.  Design should be such that it stays collapsed on its own, e.g. concertina

Luxury item.  Full it would probably be in a pack pocket, collapsed it would be put away.

Clear or translucent white

The material should not taint or discolour if a flavoured drink is used
Option of an antibacterial filter so it can be refilled from water sources en route
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:37:18, 11/02/20 »
I can't add anything to this other to write that I prefer a water bladder, in the back of my rucksack, with a tube and a valve on the end easily accessible to my mouth. I like to sip water when hiking, I prefer to drink when I stop. I like my brand of water bladder because I can top fill it without having to take it out of my rucksack.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:43:08, 11/02/20 »
Sorry, I forgot. I prefer a 2L bladder because when empty it's just two flat areas of material lying flat against each other which just contours to the shape of my back. When full, it still contours to the shape of my back. For me, water bottles take up too much space, I prefer to fill up that space with other stuff.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:44:32, 11/02/20 »
All the features are already pretty well covered but I would add that the screw top is the same spec as that used by the screw on water filters ( at the moment most are but some aren't )

Pitboot

« Reply #12 on: 12:13:48, 11/02/20 »
To help you with your English GCSE you should look up the usage of "chosen", "choose", and "chose".

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:19:08, 11/02/20 »
I thought he was writing in dialect
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:19:35, 11/02/20 »

Q1) Do you use a water bottle when walking/hiking? Yes sometimes (on short walks when not using a bladder)

Q2) Would you consider using a collapsible water bottle so that when you have finished the drink it can fit in your pocket? Yes on short walks

Q3) How much water would you like a water bottle to hold for your walks/hikes? 1 litre

Q4) How big would you like it to be when it is not collapsed? As small as it can be to hold 1 litre

Q5) How big would you like it to be when it has been collapsed? As small as possible

Q6) Would you like the bottle to have a built in straw for ease of use? Not bothered

Q7) Would you like the bottle to be held in place while it is collapsed? (Strap to keep the two sides together) no

Q8) would you like the bottle to have a clip/strap to connect to your bag or to hold onto. Yes

Q9) What variety of colours would you like the bottle to have? Not worried happy with just clear

Q10) Are there any other accessories you would like added to the bottle? If so please specify BPA free

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy