Author Topic: Advice  (Read 1172 times)

MichaelUK

Advice
« on: 13:29:19, 02/01/18 »
I have an old, 17 years, Sprayway Coyote 204 Gortex Jacket. Although its 17 years old it hasnt been worn for at least 12 years! Prior to wearing I have washed and re-applied the DWR, using nikwax, both wash in and spray on. Tumbled dried and cool ironed. Went out in it today and it was raining for a couple of hours, with strongish wind. At the end of my walk took the jacket off and there was obvious evidence of water inside the jacket - shoulders, hood, arms. No pack on, liteweight down jacket underneath. My question is the jacket past redemption? Do laminated fabrics beakdown over time? Im not able to check the seam tapes as the jacket has a liner
« Last Edit: 13:50:08, 02/01/18 by MichaelUK »

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice
« Reply #1 on: 13:52:39, 02/01/18 »
Having just gone through the same process with my similarly ancient "winter duvet" jacket and had poor results, I'm inclined to think there comes a point where a jacket is beyond rejuvenation. 

Mine is now merely a fantastic winter insulated windproof.  If it rains, I have to wear a shell waterproof over it.

Yes, I'd say laminate perishes over time  :(

MichaelUK

« Reply #2 on: 17:12:13, 02/01/18 »
Ive found a company in Sheffield, LSR, that carry re-seaming, and will apply there own DWR. Also carry out waterproof test. They also mention de-laminating of fabrics! Have sent them an e-mail for advice. Might be worth sending my jacket off for possible repairs.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:15:50, 02/01/18 »
Oooh, let us know how you get on if you do send it off  O0

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:23:56, 02/01/18 »
I cannot see anyway anyone could repair delamination. Seams, rips, zips etc yes but not broken-down membrane. And reproofing is generally a waste of time if the fabric is no longer waterproof.

Is it really worth spending money on a 17 year old Sprayway?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:49:17, 02/01/18 »
If it was a cold day then there is a real possibility it is just condensation.  I was out yesterday in a cold wind wearing a new membrane jacket over a fleece and that was noticeably wet inside by the end of the walk.  I also have an old Sprayway jacket and that too is very prone to condensation.  Even my Paramo jacket, which has no membrane and is supposed to very breathable can have water dripping out of the cuffs after a couple of hours on a cold day - even if it isn't raining!
Solvitur Ambulando

MichaelUK

« Reply #6 on: 20:25:53, 03/01/18 »
Im hoping it is just condensation, as the jacket wetted out quite quickly!

Liz S

« Reply #7 on: 21:48:22, 07/01/18 »
 Sounds like its had it.
 Just buy another and use the old one as a windproof/showerproof jacket. Nothing lasts forever.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy