Author Topic: Campsites open from 4th July 2020.  (Read 4891 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Campsites open from 4th July 2020.
« Reply #15 on: 20:04:52, 23/06/20 »
Really! I live next door to a holiday let which sleeps 11 people but advertise they can accommodate 15, (they provide extra mattresses to put on the floor).  It's usual to see several groups of people swapping over the rental period and it's obvious that they don't belong to the same family group(s).  The usual change over day is Friday  (with a four to five hour turnaround) when the cleaning company 'spruce' up the property.  I think their staff must have been trained at the Barrow Shipyard cleaning portholes because they spend most of their time smoking and chatting in the garden or on the front doorstep.  There's been a number of the times when new guests have had to contact the letting agent to complain that the house has not been cleaned properly.  How could anybody put their trust in such unsupervised practices?  NB - The same company was observed dashing around Cartmel today to get the numerous holiday lets there ready for the big day.  - CAVEAT EMPTOR!!

Thanks Brandywell, that's cheered me up :o

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:22:58, 23/06/20 »
..and I've just ordered a new tent!

That is a bargain the price you paid, it is £330 on Ultralightweight Outdoor Gear website!

:) I've stayed in a holiday let in Thornthwaite and it was fab  :) It is a lovely village that should not be under threat of those gondolas!
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:26:50, 23/06/20 »
You're right there April.  I'm sure the cottage will be fine - just looking forward to a week off - been hard going the last three months.  Meant to be in the alps this week too!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:01:38, 23/06/20 »
That is a bargain the price you paid, it is £330 on Ultralightweight Outdoor Gear website!

At that price I just couldn't resist, especially after today's news!
Ultralightweight are being a bit naughty, you can get the T10 Trail for £299 direct from Lightwave.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 23:21:32, 23/06/20 »

Sorry pdstsp, you should be ok as you will be the first guest after the lockdown!  I've noticed a lot of comments on social media by holidaymakers who are looking forward to booking holiday lets but are are worried that they may not have been 'deep-cleaned' before their visit.  Cleaning companies charge the owners of the holiday lets a lot extra for that service.  ;)
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 23:31:09, 23/06/20 »
At that price I just couldn't resist, especially after today's news!
Ultralightweight are being a bit naughty, you can get the T10 Trail for £299 direct from Lightwave.

Realised a typo in the price I put on, should be £320. Says RRP £349.
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 07:10:41, 24/06/20 »
Sorry pdstsp, you should be ok as you will be the first guest after the lockdown!  I've noticed a lot of comments on social media by holidaymakers who are looking forward to booking holiday lets but are are worried that they may not have been 'deep-cleaned' before their visit.  Cleaning companies charge the owners of the holiday lets a lot extra for that service.  ;)

Very true, though the company we've booked through promise they have done a deep clean.  I'm taking the bleach just in case.  Really looking forward to a week's walking, though not sure how I feel about pubs yet.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 07:16:23, 24/06/20 »
Mixed blessings.  On the face of it good news for those wanting a holiday and those needing to earn money through the summer season to service ongoing bank loans and overheads.  Personally though, with a wife working in a care home and knowing people are dying of Covid 19, in a care home just a few miles away, I have my reservations about the apparent normality that we are returning to in many areas of life. 

Let's just hope the new government rules, people's common sense and warm dry weather are enough to prevent another peak.

Unfortunately common sense isn't very common.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 14:38:18, 24/06/20 »
Before the plague I was enjoying staying in nice hotels, but I think I will give that a miss for the time being. My car is now my camper. I have a really lovely Focus estate and my sunlounger fits in there perfectly. It has an extra foam mattress, I have slept on it many times as a single bed. Storage underneath, and the car has privacy glass. Perfect. I will take a tent as well to use if needed. I will be looking for camp sites close to good walking tracks and paths. I don't need to be mixing with people, I can be self sufficient. Might wait a few weeks until the rush to get away has calmed down a bit.

ilona

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:54:49, 24/06/20 »
My car is now my camper. I have a really lovely Focus estate and my sunlounger fits in there perfectly. It has an extra foam mattress, I have slept on it many times as a single bed.

I will take a tent as well to use if needed.
I do the same with my C-Max.  But use an airbed.
The tent can be called 'the spare room'.

I also made a shower for mine.  Just a cheap solar shower that I hang from the tailgate.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:26:08, 24/06/20 »
I do the same with my C-Max.  But use an airbed.
The tent can be called 'the spare room'.

I also made a shower for mine.  Just a cheap solar shower that I hang from the tailgate.

Good ideas, thanks. I've got an airbed but don't have the means to blow it up. I bought a thick piece of foam for £2, I used to use it singly because it fits the whole width and length of the car. Now I fold it in half and it's perfect on the sunlounger. I like the extra height in the C Max but wasn't sure there was enough length to fit a bed in. I am a Ford girl, and mostly estates. Previously Cortinas, on my third Focus.

ilona

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 22:29:33, 24/06/20 »
Good ideas, thanks. I've got an airbed but don't have the means to blow it up. I bought a thick piece of foam for £2, I used to use it singly because it fits the whole width and length of the car. Now I fold it in half and it's perfect on the sunlounger. I like the extra height in the C Max but wasn't sure there was enough length to fit a bed in. I am a Ford girl, and mostly estates. Previously Cortinas, on my third Focus.

ilona
I got an airpump, makes short, but noisy work of it.  Got a portable fridge, but have to unplug it or the battery goes flat.
Oddly, the last generation of Focus Estates had a longer 'boot' in them than the C-Max, eventhough they are based on the same car.
The Renault Scenic was even better, and that was overall a smaller car.
This is the first Ford I have owned, though had driven dozens as company cars in the past.

Odd that my car camper van has climate control, and electric windows and remote door locking.
3 things my house does not have.

strawy

« Reply #27 on: 23:04:40, 24/06/20 »
When it was announced i thought "cant wait".
But now i think i will wait.
I usually use small basic sites(tent),my worry is that they,ll be crowded,perhaps with "new" campers,nowt wrong with that,we all start somewhere/somehow.
Gonna wait,maybe Aug/Sept.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 07:37:34, 25/06/20 »
When it was announced i thought "cant wait".
But now i think i will wait.

Gonna wait,maybe Aug/Sept.
If the media are correct (whoops - pig just flew over) campsites are already booked up in this area but that might just mean the bigger ones.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 08:20:18, 25/06/20 »
It has been suggested that people coming to Cornwall for there holidays bring their own good and drink.
With most places having a pre-booking system in place, turning up and expecting to be served is not going to happen.
Be interesting to see hoe it all works out.
Quite a few holiday makers down already.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy