Author Topic: Campsites open from 4th July 2020.  (Read 4861 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Campsites open from 4th July 2020.
« Reply #30 on: 08:50:43, 25/06/20 »
When it was announced i thought "cant wait".
But now i think i will wait.
I usually use small basic sites(tent),my worry is that they,ll be crowded,perhaps with "new" campers,nowt wrong with that,we all start somewhere/somehow.
Gonna wait,maybe Aug/Sept.

Best to wait. Or go wild.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 09:31:33, 25/06/20 »
Best to wait. Or go wild.

We go wild exclusively, but I fear it will be a very long wait because we are on trains and buses now.
Even when the government declare public transport back to normal (maybe subject to masks), CV hasn't gone away and the risk will still be too great for us for a long while afterwards.
It's hard to tell but I wouldn't be surprised if this year is a total write-off.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 09:39:32, 25/06/20 »
We go wild exclusively, but I fear it will be a very long wait because we are on trains and buses now.
Even when the government declare public transport back to normal (maybe subject to masks), CV hasn't gone away and the risk will still be too great for us for a long while afterwards.
It's hard to tell but I wouldn't be surprised if this year is a total write-off.
How frustrating. :(

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 12:39:33, 25/06/20 »
Although at one level, I can understand that to resume hiking is 'good news' but when I apply my mind to the subject of 'shall I or shan't I,' for me it's not really 'good news' at all. I've decided that I'm not going to go to the pub just yet because I know that if I do I will meet some bonkers people who with a couple of pints inside them will throw all caution to the wind! I'm going to wait until August to see how it all unfolds. I've also decided to apply this thinking to any of the hiking trips I planned in January. I'm sure that the same type of people that I know here will be just the same as other people elsewhere. I have managed to get to now without any Covid-19 problems and I'm just NOT prepared to throw it all away by rushing into a hike, visiting campsites, pubs, or shops that I don't know.

I can wild camp of course and can keep physical distancing but until August I'm just going to stick to my known routines and locations.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 13:26:26, 25/06/20 »
Just had my leave request approved for 3rd week in July.  Bring it on  O0

Won't be campsite camping as I have reservations about the communal facilities thing just at the mo so I'm looking at a self-contained holiday let for the week.  That way, I can go in and fumigate it to my satisfaction first, regardless of any "deep clean" it will have allegedly had.

Warbler

« Reply #35 on: 17:47:09, 25/06/20 »
When it was announced i thought "cant wait".
But now i think i will wait.
I usually use small basic sites(tent),my worry is that they,ll be crowded,perhaps with "new" campers,nowt wrong with that,we all start somewhere/somehow.
Gonna wait,maybe Aug/Sept.

That was my initial thought too. But I think you're right, I'll be waiting a little longer also.

If they turn up in a fraction of the numbers that have hit the beaches during the last two days then it's just not worth it. Bournemouth beach looks horrific.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 17:52:02, 25/06/20 »
In my mind I have written off 2020 for holiday and travelling purposes.(I wouldn’t have been camping as my wife is not keen). I will stick to localish walks, possibly travelling a bit further afield for some quiet hills and beaches. We might go self catering out of season on the west coast of Scotland, but that would be a bonus.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 18:21:47, 25/06/20 »
If they turn up in a fraction of the numbers that have hit the beaches during the last two days then it's just not worth it. Bournemouth beach looks horrific.

I saw photos of Bournemouth Beach yesterday - Second Wave in the making. And I dread to think what the effect of opening pubs will be.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 19:45:44, 25/06/20 »
 Not bothering at all at the moment.Its simply not worth the hassel and after seeing the idiotic way that people are behaving my time is better spent preparing for the second wave that is clearly coming.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 20:59:23, 25/06/20 »
I have just returned from Portsdown Hill, Portsmouth. The car parks are in 'madness' mode, I ran past so many close together groups of people breathing into each others faces! It didn't look good at all! I took a glance at the burger van as well, Monster Micks was raking it in!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 22:47:54, 26/06/20 »
Just panic bought some loo rolls  ::)  in readiness for the 2nd peak/lockdown after seeing the beaches on telly and the football celebrations.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 09:49:37, 27/06/20 »
 Government guidelines for campsites.

"Campsites will also be allowed to open as long as shared facilities are kept clean." ::)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 08:08:52, 29/06/20 »
Won't be campsite camping as I have reservations about the communal facilities thing just at the mo so I'm looking at a self-contained holiday let for the week.  That way, I can go in and fumigate it to my satisfaction first, regardless of any "deep clean" it will have allegedly had.

Have you thought about glamping, Mel? Some pods have private facilities.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 08:11:40, 29/06/20 »
Government guidelines for campsites.

"Campsites will also be allowed to open as long as shared facilities are kept clean." ::)

Came across this on the website of a lovely site we stayed at last year. https://mosshowefarm.co.uk/

Toilet and Shower Block

Additional time has been allocated for the cleaning of the toilet block; they will be closed during this period so please bear with us.
  • We will limit the number of campers allowed in at any one time.
  • Please spend as little time as possible in the toilet and shower block.
  • Hand sanitizer provided as soon as you enter – please use them.
  • Plenty of hot water available in the toilet and shower block.
  • Children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
  • Campers to wash their hands when leaving.
  • Sinks in the ladies and gents are to be used ONLY for hand washing.
  • No brushing teeth or face washing in the sinks.(Please wash in a bowl at your tent and the same for teeth with a glass of water. Please dispose of water down drain by shower block. Please do not spit or dispose of it on the camp field.)
  • Campers have use of hot water to fill containers for washing up so you have the choice of not to stand in the washing up area.
  • Only 1 person per family for washing up in wash area please.
  • Our communal freezer will not be in use. Ice will be sold at reception at certain times.
  • WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #44 on: 13:08:09, 30/06/20 »
    Have you thought about glamping, Mel? Some pods have private facilities.

I have (past and present).  Most times, the cost to rent one for a week is on a par to renting a bricks and mortar place for a week.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy