Author Topic: New from Canada  (Read 1100 times)

missNoamer

New from Canada
« on: 16:53:54, 06/01/20 »
Hi All,
I'm considering doing the three peaks challenge this summer, with an organized group.  Are there any groups or forums specific to this challenge?  I'm looking for advice and you experience to choose which tour company to go with.
I enjoy hiking, am fairly fit, and do have mountains close by that I can train on.
Many thanks,

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: New from Canada
« Reply #1 on: 17:26:05, 06/01/20 »
Welcome to the forum.  Just to be clear, are you talking about the UK 3 peaks challenge (Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon) or the Yorkshire 3 peaks Challenge?
Solvitur Ambulando

missNoamer

« Reply #2 on: 17:37:04, 06/01/20 »
Thanks.  I’m looking At the UK three peaks

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:54:29, 06/01/20 »
You may find some useful links here https://www.threepeakschallenge.uk/national-three-peaks-challenge/

I have not done it myself so cannot advise you.  I am sure there are those here who can advise you though.  The only thing I would advise is do it quietly, especially the Scafell Pike ascent which is often done at night and parties making the ascent do not endear themselves to the natives by waking them up in the middle of the night,  O0 .

Will you be going against the clock?
Solvitur Ambulando

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:39:56, 07/01/20 »
Hi All,
I'm considering doing the three peaks challenge this summer, with an organized group.  Are there any groups or forums specific to this challenge?  I'm looking for advice and you experience to choose which tour company to go with.
I enjoy hiking, am fairly fit, and do have mountains close by that I can train on.
Many thanks,

Hi there, 

I've done the N3P (National Three Peaks) challenge a few times.  It isn't strictly necessary to go with a tour company, however I'd recommend a somewhat fresh driver (who isn't going to be on the hill) as walking the 3 Peaks and driving the route as you do so is not particularly safe.  Be clear to your tour company if you're serious about the '24 hours' thing as they may put you in a more robust group with a quicker pace - as many groups as happy just to finish and struggle towards the 2nd and 3rd hills, which will be frustrating for those who want a different pace and have expectations the rest of the group will share this goal.  The Yorkshire 3 Peaks is a significantly harder challenge (fitness wise), however the N3P is enjoyable with lots of people using it as a vehicle to raise funds for great charitable causes, something you might want to consider. 

Finding a company which runs the N3P with the Corridor route will make it a much more enjoyable challenge - yes it adds some distance, but walking the Corridor route in the middle of the night and descending during the sunrise is a magical route which (in my opinion) really stood out as one of the best moments.  The alternative is spending an extra hour or two on a minibus (the typical N3P Scafell ascent is from Wasdale).  Anything you're curious about feel free to ask.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:21:10, 07/01/20 »

Hi there, 

I've done the N3P (National Three Peaks) challenge a few times.  It isn't strictly necessary to go with a tour company, however I'd recommend a somewhat fresh driver (who isn't going to be on the hill) as walking the 3 Peaks and driving the route as you do so is not particularly safe.  Be clear to your tour company if you're serious about the '24 hours' thing as they may put you in a more robust group with a quicker pace - as many groups as happy just to finish and struggle towards the 2nd and 3rd hills, which will be frustrating for those who want a different pace and have expectations the rest of the group will share this goal.  The Yorkshire 3 Peaks is a significantly harder challenge (fitness wise), however the N3P is enjoyable with lots of people using it as a vehicle to raise funds for great charitable causes, something you might want to consider. 

Finding a company which runs the N3P with the Corridor route will make it a much more enjoyable challenge - yes it adds some distance, but walking the Corridor route in the middle of the night and descending during the sunrise is a magical route which (in my opinion) really stood out as one of the best moments.  The alternative is spending an extra hour or two on a minibus (the typical N3P Scafell ascent is from Wasdale).  Anything you're curious about feel free to ask.

Not wishing to high jack the thread, but how is the Yorkshire three peaks challenge harder assuming both are completed withing a 24 hour time frame.  I have done neither challenge, but I have climbed all of the peaks.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:30:41, 07/01/20 »
Almost forgot.  Welcome to the forum Missnoama. :)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:41:02, 07/01/20 »

Not wishing to high jack the thread, but how is the Yorkshire three peaks challenge harder assuming both are completed withing a 24 hour time frame.  I have done neither challenge, but I have climbed all of the peaks.

Typically the N3P is a '24 hour challenge' and a significant aspect of that challenge is on your driver.  It is absolutely trivial to bring a friend who drives at 90+ between the peaks, dodges speed cameras, and gives you a massive time advantage on the hill if you are rigidly sticking within this '24'.  This will also leave you significantly fresher than those in buses.  Realistically, because minibuses have a speed limiter, what you end up doing is looking at time on the hill and then extrapolating your driving time to call it a '24 hour challenge'.  Drivers should never be in a position where they are pressured to 'make up time' for the group. 

If you're walking (and you shouldn't do both) you'll spend around 13 hours of that on the hill.  The fundamental differences are that the N3P is divided by 4-6 hour minibus rides between the peaks - so you're only ever exerting yourself for a single ascent at a time (so 4-5 hours effort, probably more on Scafell if you go via CR) before getting to go downhill again.  If you're not terrible doing ascents then this 24 hour challenge should be doable provided you have a group who have themselves organised and don't take undue stops on the hill.  Ben Nevis is pretty easy via the Tourist Path (you're basically doing a lot of stairs) regardless of the weather, as is Snowdon.  After BN you get a nice long rest, a stop at services, restock on some food etc.  The Y3P on the other hand doesn't have this component if you want to aim for the 12 hour time (as a walking challenge for non runners).

From my experience leading I'd say you need to be in better shape to do the Y3P because some people really start flagging in the 2nd half whereas most people have enough glucose (and can replenish it between the hills) for a big effort for each ascent before having gravity assist them on the way down.  The N3P however may be grim for you if you're unable to sleep on a minibus or get travel sickness.  The mental aspect of being awake for 22 hours and then beginning Scafell Pike in the dark is sometimes a little much for some, and these some less determined competitors take this opportunity to stay on the bus.  For Snowdon in particular (when you've been awake for 26hrs+) it will be mentally difficult for some to put the waterproofs back on even if it is by far the easiest of the three hills.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:04:45, 08/01/20 »
and then, for something a little different (totally barmy) there's the Three Peaks Yacht Race

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Peaks_yacht_race

Welcome to the forum Miss Noamer

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy