Author Topic: win hill, i mean mam tor...  (Read 3077 times)

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
win hill, i mean mam tor...
« on: 19:14:36, 25/07/10 »
ok, so today i had 2 options, A,stay home, clean up, cook dinner :(  or B, head out on my lonesome, B it was then ;D ...all week i had been scannin the net for an easy to follow walking route sumwhere in the peak district. it had been causing me great problems!, anyway i found a walk called Hope to Win Hill, read it about 20 times and thought yes maybe i can follow this :D , so off i went, train from doncaster to hope. On the train i kept looking at the route over n over. i also printed a map off that another member pm'd me. i got to hope station and followed the map to the car park in hope, that was half a mile away, the start of the walk was from the car park,it said to walk past the woodruffe arms (so far so good) after a quart of a mile turn right to killhill bridge to cross the river noe., so i kept walking as i didnt see the right turn, i was back at the train stn which i knew to be half a mile so i re-traced my steps to start again >:( ;D , so did exactly the same, cud i eck find the right turn????  ;D  so i turned down a side street and came to a sign that said footpath to castleton 2miles, so i thought right ill follow this, abandoning all hope of doin the win hill walk i knew there was a visitors centre in castleton, so maybe i cud do sumthin from there ::)  got to the visitors centre i bought a castleton walks leaflet for 40p ;D , castleton was very busy, there was garage sales on all over to raise money for the church. i didnt have time to look round though--i was on a mission 8) i followed a route from the leaflet that led me to Mam Tor, and yes i got to the summit! met sum lovely people on the way, and coming back down tagged along with northampton running club who were here for the wk.end. :) ,i got hope safely and am writing this with chardonnay in hand and a bag of m
minstrels. ::)  iv took a few pics, hope you like em. :)

Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: win hill, i mean mam tor...
« Reply #1 on: 19:31:02, 25/07/10 »
Sounds like someone needs a lesson in navigation... ;) At least you got to a summit, even if it wasn't Win Hill, and it looks like you had a good day. Some nice photo's there and I see you also visited the broken road beneath Mam Tor. Thanks for posting. O0
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:59:17, 25/07/10 »
Nice photos Caroline.  Glad you got a walk, even if you had a few teething problems to start with! :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:36:20, 26/07/10 »
Ee that right cheered me up Carolina  O0   Lovley pics and nice to see im not the only one who gets lost easily. I always think of it as discovering new walks  ::)   Its how I got to know London quite well in the 80s on foot....
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

mick

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 03:09:03, 26/07/10 »
Nice photos Caroline, O0
Really liked the photo showing the old broken road, wonder how many years it will take before it is totally gone.
I am off down that way in a few weeks, would really love to get out & walk it, but I will have to wait and see if they give me a leg first. :(
I am pleased that I am not the only one who has problems with navigating, out in the hills I can find my way no problem, but getting to the start in the car well that’s a different story. ;D
Thanks for posting .

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:18:21, 26/07/10 »
How annoying after coming all the way from Doncaster. If you ever think of trying again, get the train to Edale Station and contour back above the valley road to top out on the ridge near Crookstone Barn, then just follow allong the ridge to the top of Win Hill, and drop down to pick up the train back at Hope Station. Makes a more satisfying day than just popping up Win Hill. If you are in a car, climb up through the woods from near the Yorkshire Bridge Inn, at the foot of the reservoirs.

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:52:53, 27/07/10 »
How annoying after coming all the way from Doncaster. If you ever think of trying again, get the train to Edale Station and contour back above the valley road to top out on the ridge near Crookstone Barn, then just follow allong the ridge to the top of Win Hill, and drop down to pick up the train back at Hope Station. Makes a more satisfying day than just popping up Win Hill. If you are in a car, climb up through the woods from near the Yorkshire Bridge Inn, at the foot of the reservoirs.
cheers for that. O0

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:01:02, 02/08/10 »
Hi Caroline, glad you enjoyed your visit. I too did the same walk when I first when to the Peaks last year and it really takes your breath away. In fact I did Win Hill on the first day, and then the Castleton, Mam tor ridge the next day, a great weekend and I hope to pop up their again next week or so...
roll on the weekend

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:04:15, 02/08/10 »
Can't resist stirring a little and saying that Mam Tor and Win Hill are greatly overrated compared with the Clwyd ridge, west of Chester, 15 miles of switchback trail with panoramic views to Snowdonia. very popular with local walkers but surprisingly ignored by people living further afield who always seem to rush straight to Snowdonia.  Anyone like to agree or disagree?

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:18:28, 02/08/10 »
Can't resist stirring a little and saying that Mam Tor and Win Hill are greatly overrated compared with the Clwyd ridge, west of Chester, 15 miles of switchback trail with panoramic views to Snowdonia. very popular with local walkers but surprisingly ignored by people living further afield who always seem to rush straight to Snowdonia.  Anyone like to agree or disagree?

Can I just not care? Its irrelevant to the thread?
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Highfieldbri

« Reply #10 on: 09:52:57, 05/08/10 »
Nice pics and report. Pity you missed the path, but I know how easy it can be, done it plenty of times myself  ;)

As long as you got back safely and enjoyed the route that you did complete, where's the harm? Well done.

Bri

Phil.B

« Reply #11 on: 10:53:20, 06/08/10 »
As long as you enjoyed your day that's all that matters.Your never lost just GEOGRAPHICALLY MISPLACED. O0
If you have no expectations,your never dissappointed.

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:51:28, 06/08/10 »
i enjoyed it phil--cheers O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy