Author Topic: Missing walker on Ben Nevis  (Read 938 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Missing walker on Ben Nevis
« on: 07:11:50, 24/02/20 »
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/desperate-hunt-for-missing-hiker-after-he-posted-film-of-himself-on-ben-nevis-mountain/ar-BB10jf88?ocid=spartandhp

A major search has been launched for a missing man on Ben Nevis after he posted a film of himself while climbing the mountain.
Tomas Gafrik, from Slovakia, was last heard from on Thursday morning when he shared a video on social media while half way up the peak.
Rescuers were called out and have been working around the clock to find Tomas before snow and heavy winds kick in on Monday.
The rescue team said forecasts for Ben Nevis on Monday predict 50-80mph winds with extensive heavy snow.

The latest search comes after two hillwalkers fell to their death last week.
A 37-year-old died on Thursday on  Spidean a’Choire Leith  – the highest summit of 3,461 ft Liathach in Torridon.
And last Sunday Richard Armstrong, 42, from Wigton, Cumbria, plunged nearly 100ft on the way up 3278ft Stob Ban on the south side of Glen Nevis in Lochaber.
Mr Armstrong was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was recovered in a six-hour operation by the Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team during the height of  Storm Dennis.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Missing walker on Ben Nevis
« Reply #1 on: 12:11:49, 24/02/20 »
I’m on the Ben Nevis forum on facebook and have been following this since yesterday morning. His sister has been posting on there. The weather conditions today are too bad for them to go out and search.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:02:29, 28/02/20 »
I often watch the Ben Nevis web cam with envy, wishing I could be up there climbing the mountain in the snow..  The reality of being on the ground in this weather can be so different.  Good luck and stay safe to all involved.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:08:15, 28/02/20 »
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:51:59, 28/02/20 »
Grim reading. Poor man.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 05:47:08, 29/02/20 »
This is not good news. The Ben has claimed quite a few lives in the last few years. I may be going completely on the wrong tack here, but it appears that a lot of the incidents involved walkers and climbers from mainland Europe. I wonder if the relative lack of height of our British mountains makes some think that they are benign, when in winter conditions they can be brutal.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:49:47, 01/03/20 »
Looks like it did not end well https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2020/02/28/body-of-man-found-on-flanks-of-ben-nevis
Sad news
That is sad.  It must be so hard at times for the mrt, when they have to bring back those that die.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:33:22, 01/03/20 »
Agreed, we have the same issue in Lowland Rescue but then it's mostly those who have completed suicide or the elderly who have simply succumbed while out walking, always a sad moment for the whole team.
Where there's a will ...

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:41:47, 01/03/20 »
That is sad.  It must be so hard at times for the mrt, when they have to bring back those that die.
we have the same with the RNLI and Coast Guards.
Not unusual to see them pop down the road in the summer.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy