Author Topic: Offa's Dyke - state of paths  (Read 2775 times)

AFANASIEW

Offa's Dyke - state of paths
« on: 12:51:05, 08/03/19 »
I'll be walking part of the Offa's Dyke path for the first time in June as part of my LEJOG. Can you please advise on the nature and condition of the paths? I ask because I'd like to know which boots to wear. My options range from running shoes (Inov8 Parkclaw) for e.g. canal towpaths, through Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid and Salomon Quest Prime, up to Altberg Tethera for more challenging paths, like parts of the Pennine Way. I just need to know how rocky/boggy it is between the southern end and Chirk.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Offa's Dyke - state of paths
« Reply #1 on: 12:53:06, 08/03/19 »
I used my Salomons for OD and they were fine.
Where there's a will ...

AFANASIEW

« Reply #2 on: 12:57:33, 08/03/19 »
I used my Salomons for OD and they were fine.
Which ones are they, Sussamb?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:07:22, 08/03/19 »
Had the Quest Primes then so same as you.
Where there's a will ...

AFANASIEW

« Reply #4 on: 14:36:45, 08/03/19 »
Can you remember if it rained much? Was there much bog to negotiate? Long, wet grass? I'm also conflicted over whether or not to take gaiters.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:53:09, 08/03/19 »
I was fairly lucky with the weather but no real bogs, also no real mud.  I always wear gaiters on LDWs, if nothing else to keep the bottoms of my trousers clean.
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:09:09, 08/03/19 »
Don't question it, take gaiters!

I find, because I'm a dawn riser, that they are most useful first thing in the morning, especially when I'm walking throgh condensation laden grass. For example, I presume its still the same? Long grass walking from Garrigill to Alston, early, sunny but wet, wet, wet!

They are useful when it rains too.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #7 on: 15:12:09, 08/03/19 »
I always wear gaiters on LDWs, if nothing else to keep the bottoms of my trousers clean.

You could tuck them into your socks. And don't your gaiters go under your waterproof trousers?

AFANASIEW

« Reply #8 on: 15:15:15, 08/03/19 »
Don't question it, take gaiters!
Long grass walking from Garrigill to Alston, early, sunny but wet, wet, wet!

They are useful when it rains too.

I walked that stretch twice, but both immediately after Cross Fell, so later in the day. Isn't it the longest 4 miles ever?!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:23:41, 08/03/19 »
I hate the walk down from Greg's Hut more, but yes the final bit into Alston seems very long and 'bitty'  O0
Where there's a will ...

AFANASIEW

« Reply #10 on: 16:33:56, 08/03/19 »
I hate the walk down from Greg's Hut more,  O0
Scope for a new thread here - the longest 4 mile stretches. The trek down from Pen y Ghent goes on forever, the track down to Thwaite from Great Shunner Fell is an ankle breaker, but the worst for me is the long haul down from High Cup Nick to Dufton if you're in cloud and have been cheated out of the PW's best view!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:37:06, 10/03/19 »
As a lot of the path traverses remote countryside on the Mid Wales border, i would always suggest stout walking boots.
If the mud at Llanfair Hill was anything to go by some years ago, wading wellies would have been needed, but with the recent wet weather, i recon there's lots of mud around.
Comfort and dry feet are essential, so tried and trusted boots would be the best option, as there's little point in finding ground conditions are poorer than anticipated.
As others have also suggested, gaiters may be a useful addition as well.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #12 on: 17:24:41, 10/03/19 »
As a lot of the path traverses remote countryside on the Mid Wales border, i would always suggest stout walking boots...
As others have also suggested, gaiters may be a useful addition as well.
I'll wear the Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid from Land's End and switch to the heavier Altberg Tethera at some point. The question is, should that point be Monmouth or Edale? It'll be June (in the case of Monmouth) or July before I reach Edale, so I'd hope that most of the mud will have dried out. Obviously I'd prefer to delay the switch as long as possible.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy