Author Topic: 3 Days - What should we do?  (Read 3276 times)

Petrolhead

Re: 3 Days - What should we do?
« Reply #15 on: 10:45:35, 20/03/19 »
And for something different if the weather turns dire on the tops........

The Muncaster fells between Dalegarth and Ravenglass using the Ravenglass Eskdale railway one way.  https://ravenglass-railway.co.uk/
Though the railway is only 7 miles there are plenty of footpath options to lengthen the walk.

Jac, thanks a lot for this. It's not really for me, I'd prefer to drive but my parents will LOVE this, it's right up their street. I'll pass it on.

:) O0

Petrolhead

« Reply #16 on: 10:52:55, 20/03/19 »
So, the plan is kind of coming together. However, while planning, Mrs Petrolhead pointed out that if we're travelling all the way up to the Lake District from London, we may as well look at going a bit further north to Scotland as I've always wanted to and have never been. So, long story short, we've changed our plans to do Glencoe and Skye too. This means our Lakes trip will be cut short by a day to two days.

I'm almost there with our intinerary now but I'm trying to see if we can fit in Bowfell too, so I have a question...

What is the route like up to Bowfell via the Band and back the same route? From what I can see it looks the easiest and most direct route to the summit but I'm stuggling to find out much about it, there isn't even much I can see on Youtube. I'm guessing that's because the Band is a bit relentless and dull compared to the other ways to get there but for us, it's more about getting to the top and having a wander over to Crinkle Crags. The full route can wait for another day.

Any advice would be great guys.

Thanks,

Mes.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:37:58, 20/03/19 »
The Band is a nice route up to Three Tarns - you can always peel off and do the Climbers Traverse and then descend the full way down The Band.  But, if you are also considering the Crinkles why not climb from Oxendale toward Red Tarn, then turn right and take in the Crinkles and Bow Fell, with a descent from Ore Gap to Angle Tarn and then Rossett Gill - wonderful route, in my opinion.

Petrolhead

« Reply #18 on: 13:04:38, 20/03/19 »
The Band is a nice route up to Three Tarns - you can always peel off and do the Climbers Traverse and then descend the full way down The Band.  But, if you are also considering the Crinkles why not climb from Oxendale toward Red Tarn, then turn right and take in the Crinkles and Bow Fell, with a descent from Ore Gap to Angle Tarn and then Rossett Gill - wonderful route, in my opinion.

pdstsp, you've been a constant source of help and knowledge, thank you!

Your route sounds excellent, but, the idea is to get to the summit of Bow Fell as quickly and as easily as possible to make sure we can fit it in. We'd also like to avoid Climber's Traverse if possible. Technically it looks easy enough but it looks a little on the airy side from what I've seen. I'm sure it's fun but it would no doubt add a bit of time. Time we don't really have. We'd also need to start and finish at the same place (ODG) to get back to the car.

Hoping it's a quick and easy 3 and bit miles up the Band to Bowfell and then back down the same way. Crinkle Crags would only be attempted if we had time. Otherwise, it's just up to Bow Fell and back. I know it sounds like we're doing the wrong thing and missing some other amazing locations but it needs to be as close to a bish bash bosh as possible!

:)

I know we'll need to return to do it properly and take in the full circular routes, but that's a good thing right?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 08:56:20, 21/03/19 »

The Muncaster fells between Dalegarth and Ravenglass using the Ravenglass Eskdale railway one way.  https://ravenglass-railway.co.uk/
Though the railway is only 7 miles there are plenty of footpath options to lengthen the walk.

+1

Good pubs too!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:02:03, 21/03/19 »
...put your waterproofs on!

Petrolhead

« Reply #21 on: 10:31:13, 21/03/19 »

+1

Good pubs too!

Good to know Richard  O0

Petrolhead

« Reply #22 on: 10:32:54, 21/03/19 »
...put your waterproofs on!

Totally agree! Rain isn't a problem unless it's particularly harsh. We're quite happy being out in it as long as we're dry and warm. It's only visibility that stops us usually.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:59:06, 21/03/19 »

+1

Good pubs too!

Yes - I think there were - I don't remember too well ;D 
Good reason for not driving!
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:55:01, 23/03/19 »
Another good low level route for when it is foul on top, is to catch the Ullswater steamer from Glenridding to Howtown, and walk back along the remote eastern shore - the wildest bit of lakeside walking that you will get in the Lakes. About 7 miles, so good for a half day.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:50:39, 23/03/19 »
Another good low level route for when it is foul on top, is to catch the Ullswater steamer from Glenridding to Howtown, and walk back along the remote eastern shore - the wildest bit of lakeside walking that you will get in the Lakes. About 7 miles, so good for a half day.
First walk I ever did in the Lakes, lovely.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:36:20, 24/03/19 »

Also has the added benefit of being able to pop up Place Fell if it's nice and you feel strong, which in my opinion is one of the nicest views (for the effort) in the Lakes.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:41:53, 24/03/19 »

Also has the added benefit of being able to pop up Place Fell if it's nice and you feel strong, which in my opinion is one of the nicest views (for the effort) in the Lakes.

Ah yes, I remember legging it up Place Fell when I was camping at Side Farm many years ago.

Petrolhead

« Reply #28 on: 10:11:48, 27/03/19 »

Thanks again Richard. "The wildest bit of lakeside walking that you will get in the lakes..." that sounds FANTASTIC!

O0

Petrolhead

« Reply #29 on: 10:21:54, 27/03/19 »

Good call on Place Fell. I like the interesting trig point tower at the summit. Plus it has the added advantage of being able to look over to Arnison Crag and think about the beautiful sunset we watched there. I always love having a big vista and being able to point and say "we were there".

O0

Took this pic of Mrs PH on the way down (it's horribly grainy thanks to the low light / iphone combo but I still like it!):

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy