Author Topic: Recommended walks in the Kendal area  (Read 1268 times)

Restless Native

Recommended walks in the Kendal area
« on: 13:34:14, 01/07/18 »
Hi,
My wife, my springer spaniel and I are off down to the lakes later on this month, we are camping near Kendal for the first time as we usually stay in the Keswick area.
Would anyone care to recommend decent walks around Kendal, don’t mind driving to a start point for a circular route, 10-15 miles tops long and no scrambling.
Got a few routes in mind from back issues of Trail and looking at our maps a few more, just looking for personal opinions on a few routes from those who have walked them.
Any pointers to a decent pub would be welcome also  O0

Thanks,
Andy.
We're still going, one more time to Strathault,
the clown and the wolfman.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Recommended walks in the Kendal area
« Reply #1 on: 14:00:05, 01/07/18 »

Hi,
My wife, my springer spaniel and I are off down to the lakes later on this month, we are camping near Kendal for the first time as we usually stay in the Keswick area.
Would anyone care to recommend decent walks around Kendal, don’t mind driving to a start point for a circular route, 10-15 miles tops long and no scrambling.
Got a few routes in mind from back issues of Trail and looking at our maps a few more, just looking for personal opinions on a few routes from those who have walked them.
Any pointers to a decent pub would be welcome also  O0

Thanks,
Andy.

Welcome to the forum, Andy. Rest of post deleted as I mis-read yours!

Edit - exactly where are you camping, by the way?
« Last Edit: 15:12:32, 01/07/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

zuludog

« Reply #2 on: 14:10:08, 01/07/18 »
I lived in Kendal for over 30 years and I always thought that the area was rather boring and scrappy for walking, though no doubt others will be along to disagree

It is, however, a good base to visit the Eastern & Far Eastern Fells; the Yorkshire Dales; and the Northern Pennines
Drive into Longsleddale, Kentmere, or to Mardale/Haweswater and go up the surrounding fells. Kentmere Horseshoe is a classic walk, though you can do it in two halves if you wish
High Street is straightforward enough from Haweswater

There are pubs, but I don't know the current situation as they're closing all over the place
For a long time The Haweswater Hotel had the reputation of being the most miserable pub in the Lake District, though i hear it has improved recently
Visit The Ring o' Bells at the southern end of Kendal. It has kept the traditional layout, and is the only pub in Britain on consecrated ground

Richardh 1905 I think you've misread the OP Restless native is camping near Kendal, and the walks you've suggested are near Keswick

Beware - the farmers in the Lake District shoot first and ask questions later; keep your dog on a lead
« Last Edit: 14:14:53, 01/07/18 by zuludog »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:51:39, 01/07/18 »
The extended search function in www.gpsies.com has a custom search engine that allows you to find walks in the Kendal area.  You can set the search location to Kendal and the radius of search distance from Kendal as well as the max and min walk lengths. Link here  https://www.gpsies.com/trackList.do

Similarly www.haroldstreet.org has a searchable map engine http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/map-area.php?  Zoom in to the Kendal area

The OS website also has a search function to find routes  Link here for Kendal area  https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/54.31668,-2.72361,12
Select the Routes tab, click Discover Routes and untick Premium Routes for a full selection of routes available.  You will need to subscribe to get mapping and view routes.

As to pubs:  The Eagle and Child in Stavely is a friendly place, the pub in Ings, Watermill Inn, brews its own.  The Hawkshead Brewery is also in Stavely and has a brewery tap with food.
« Last Edit: 14:55:31, 01/07/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:11:30, 01/07/18 »

Richardh 1905 I think you've misread the OP Restless native is camping near Kendal, and the walks you've suggested are near Keswick

Oops; it would appear that I did!  :-[ 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:19:00, 01/07/18 »

Hi again Andy; now that the penny has dropped that you are staying in Kendal and not Keswick...

The limestone escarpments to the W & SW of Kendal are worth a look; Whitbarrow in particular.

Or you might want to drive to Sedbergh, and explore the Howgills; wonderful hills.

Restless Native

« Reply #6 on: 17:58:42, 01/07/18 »
Thank you kindly for the replies, very helpful.
Kind regards,
Andy  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:36:51, 01/07/18 »

Thank you kindly for the replies, very helpful.
Kind regards,
Andy  O0

Always a pleasure to talk about walking in the Lake District!

Here's something a little different; maybe if the clouds are down on the higher hills - drive to  Glenridding via Kirkstone Pass (not too far from Kendal), then catch the steamer to Howtown, and walk back along the east shore of Ullswater -  a brilliant walk.

If you want a longer walk, get the steamer to Pooley Bridge; walk up Askham Fell to the south east; then traverse down to Howtown and along the shore as before. The steamer is dog friendly, by the way.

https://binged.it/2KkE6aG

zuludog

« Reply #8 on: 19:36:22, 01/07/18 »
Here is a very short, easy bit of fellwalking, just right for an evening out from Kendal.

drive north on the A6 to Huck's Bridge. A few hundred yards before you get there, there is a lay by on the lhs at 553037
Park there and walk back to a gateway on the other side of the road, on the bend
Go through this and walk straight up the fellside  (faint path) to the summit of Ashtead Fell, 557032, which has good views. It's moderately steep now & again, but short
You can just come back the same way, or continue more or less SW along the ridge and cut down, pathless, north to Borrow Beck  when you feel like it   

Troggy

« Reply #9 on: 07:08:19, 05/07/18 »
Welcome to you. There's a decent walk from the town to Scout Scar and there's footpaths that can give you a fair range of distances to suit. Some good pubs in Kendal and especially is the range of beers in Wetherspoons, plus you can get a decent, good value meal in the place. I think it was the old swimming baths, so you might want to take the plunge give it a try!

Restless Native

« Reply #10 on: 19:46:33, 05/07/18 »
Thanks again for the replies,
Andy  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy