Author Topic: Almost a TR: First steps in the Peak District  (Read 2073 times)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Almost a TR: First steps in the Peak District
« on: 13:55:44, 15/04/19 »

I call this almost a TR because I don't take photos, so it isn't as colourful as most people's are.    I hardly know the Peak District, but the grandchildren live in Sheffield, so I am having to learn my way round a bit. A few months ago Trail magazine had a load of Peak District walks, so I bought it to read on the train and took the opportunity to try one of them out.
So, 2nd April, circular walk from Castleton taking in Lose Hill and Mam Tor.
I parked in one of the car parks in Castleton, and was startled at the cost. (As my user name suggests I live on an island, I am accustomed to just stopping) I walked through  the village and picked up an excellent pasty at one of the village shops for lunch, then turned down a farm track signposted towards Hope.  Route finding was pretty simple, the track became a path through fields by a small river.  In Hope the route notes directed me up Edale Lane.  The only thing I could find was Edale road, so I followed that and hoped it was right.  Actually, I found the route notes a bit confusing, and in the end relied on the map and a few way marks. 
The path climbed up through fields to Lose Hill farm, then out onto Lose Hill.  The route from the final stile was stone surfaced to the summit marker, so it was easy going, if steep.  The view from the top was pretty good, but there was an icy wind blowing, so I didn't hang about for long, but followed the ridge along to Hollins Cross along a broad, easy path.  I paused there to look across to Edale and work out where I had gone at the start of the |Pennine Way a few years ago, and to eye up the path up Mam Tor and debate whether I had time to go up there;  I had promised to be back in time to take the kids to the park.  Decided it was Granny's day off and carried on up.  The way was paved and I was able to go quite fast - it's quite a novelty for me to actually overtake people!  I had promised myself I would stop at the top and eat my pasty, but in addition to the icy wind it was now hailing, so I beat a retreat down to Mam Nick and on to Blue John Caverns.
I was a bit taken aback by the fact that the route notes suggested I took care when descending the old Castleton road - it was only when I was on it that I remembered the landslides, and realised it would be quite easy to fall off some of the more damaged bits.  I found a spot out of the wind to eat my pasty, and walked back into Castleton, grinding my teeth a bit when I realised I could have parked for free on the road down.  It was a nice, varied circuit with plenty of interest and good views,  a great start to exploring a new area.
According to Trail Magazine it was 14km and 488m of ascent.  It took me about 4 hours, which meant I got back in time to take the grandchildren to the playpark.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Almost a TR: First steps in the Peak District
« Reply #1 on: 15:10:48, 15/04/19 »
You have grandchildren and you're faster than me. Mind you I'm just about old enough to have grandkids in the park myself.

+1 for taking a pasty. I took a pasty on my
13km, 525m of ascent (roughly, didn't record a trace) walk which took me a whole hour and a half longer than you.

Shame you don't have any photos of the views.

Thanks for the TR!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:06:03, 15/04/19 »
Bet your pasty was cheaper than mine  :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:07:06, 15/04/19 »
Nice trip report, Islandplodder - glad you enjoyed your walk... The views are great from up on Lose Hill and Mam Tor, and Castleton's always a nice spot to start/end a day out.  :) O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:04:54, 15/04/19 »
Really nice write-up Islandplodder, I enjoyed reading it.
Glad you enjoyed your adventure O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:29:26, 15/04/19 »

Thank you.  I could get quite fond of the Peak District now I've had a bit of a look at it.
The following day was rather expensive, as I discovered that Hathersage has nearly as many outdoor shops as Fort William, all with very friendly and helpful staff!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:25:30, 15/04/19 »
Nice almost a trip report Islandplodder  :)   That Mam Tor route is earmarked for a long weekend camping trip (along with another walk along Cave Dale).  A pasty is a good alternative to a sarnie.  Sausage rolls too.

Sooooo, tell me more about this free parking you spotted.... just asking, for a friend, like  :D

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:07:52, 15/04/19 »
Bet your pasty was cheaper than mine  :-\
I see you are still struggling to come to terms with that experience  ;D
It may be time to 'just let it go' ..... as they say these days  :-X
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:29:09, 16/04/19 »

Nice TR but

Parking charges >:(
Now that the Forestry Commission, Dartmoor NP and Nat Trust all charge it getting much hard to find free parking for group walks where space for more than a couple of cars is needed.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:47:54, 16/04/19 »

I'm not really the one to ask about parking, but as far as I could see from the notices parking on that old Castleton road up to Mam Tor was free during the week, and might have been free altogether up near the limit of where you could take the car.  But someone who knows the area better will be able to confirm that.
Whenever I venture south of the Great Glen I spend the week before collecting up parking money.  Grrrrr!  Next time I'm down that way I was thinking of experimenting with waving my senior railcard and exploring using the train.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:57:36, 16/04/19 »
Next time I'm down that way I was thinking of experimenting with waving my senior railcard and exploring using the train.

That train line from Manchester to Sheffield is excellent for exploring the Dark Peak and the northern part of the White Peak above the Hope Valley - it gives fantastic access to so many areas. As I don't drive, when I lived in Manchester I used it regularly both for circular walks and for linear walks I'd planned around the stations along it.

Ralph

« Reply #11 on: 13:08:48, 16/04/19 »

That train line from Manchester to Sheffield is excellent for exploring the Dark Peak and the northern part of the White Peak above the Hope Valley - it gives fantastic access to so many areas. As I don't drive, when I lived in Manchester I used it regularly both for circular walks and for linear walks I'd planned around the stations along it.
Agree with Adalard, the train service between Sheffield and Manchester is a great way to move around the area. The bus services are also good from Sheffield into the White Peak & free with a pass, I have no car now and enjoy nothing more than planning with timetables and maps.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:28:18, 16/04/19 »
I'm not really the one to ask about parking, but as far as I could see from the notices parking on that old Castleton road up to Mam Tor was free during the week, and might have been free altogether up near the limit of where you could take the car.  But someone who knows the area better will be able to confirm that.

That's great, cheers Islandplodder  :)  (said my friend  ;D  )

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy