Author Topic: Houseboats on Grasmere  (Read 11189 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Houseboats on Grasmere
« Reply #60 on: 08:05:57, 23/01/20 »
It wasn’t really a question Skippy (no question mark at the end).  It was more of a musing, a pondering, after seeing the t-shirt comment…think Arkwright stood outside his shop at the end of Open All Hours.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 08:16:27, 23/01/20 »
Morning - my tee shirt comment was tongue in cheek - it'll be a collectors' item I can tell the grandkids about  ;D ;D .  The Grsmere Popular Front uprising, or was it the Popular Front of Grasmere.?

As to the money, the fund stands at £1875 feom over 70 donors.  I suspect most people would perhaps want it retained in case this is a delaying tactic.  I'm not sweating on a refund.  There are many other challenges to the park - if these funds get used in support of those, I'll be happy.

Also - the fund was designed to pay for the leaflets, and signage which has been abundant in the area over the last few weeks - and which has helped raise awareness of the issue and to enthuse national and local media to take an interest, so, in my opinion, it's done its job.
« Last Edit: 08:26:39, 23/01/20 by pdstsp »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 12:15:07, 23/01/20 »
I too consider my donation money well spent. I assume the money has been spent on the leaflets and signs etc. I don't want any money back. Well done to the team at Houseboats off Grasmere and shame on the Lowther Estate who made this campaign necessary in the first place, all through greed.
Hate will never win

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 17:16:11, 23/01/20 »
Lowther Estates has dropped their plans for houseboats on Grasmere O0

It's been a disaster for them - they have massive Lake District holdings and flew 'beneath the radar' nationally before this stupid idea.  Especially when it comes to promotion of business plans, I actually think they've done some good with redeveloping Lowther Castle + affiliated areas - but drawing negative sentiment doesn't help them whatsoever when it comes to this.

Next on the list is to preserve the ancient woodlands they want to develop and avoid selling the bank-side lands to the LE, especially after their lawyer came out with the game that "they don't need planning permission anyway as we own the lake, we're just doing it as a courtesy" (paraphrased).

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 17:25:05, 23/01/20 »
I too consider my donation money well spent. I assume the money has been spent on the leaflets and signs etc. I don't want any money back. Well done to the team at Houseboats off Grasmere and shame on the Lowther Estate who made this campaign necessary in the first place, all through greed.

Hear Hear.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 17:58:44, 23/01/20 »
Cheers for that link gunwharfman  O0

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 21:09:36, 24/01/20 »
Cheers for that link gunwharfman  O0
Yes, ta for that - a helpful summary.
Winning this battle doesn't mean we've won the war - the fight to protect the LD from commercial development must go on.
Skip

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 13:18:31, 12/02/20 »
I'm actually a little disappointed that the plan doesn't appear to be going ahead.  :(

My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed our summer walking holidays in the highlands and islands of Scotland for the last few years, but it's a long drive from Kent and we decided to go somewhere a bit closer next summer. We haven't had a walking holiday in the Lake District yet, so that was our intention.

We always book self-catering accommodation almost a year in advance so I began searching as soon as we got home last August. It was very frustrating because we couldn't find a single desirable cottage in the Lake District as a base to go walking from with minimal or no driving. This came as a surprise, because we've never had a problem with Scotland, the Peak District, Snowdonia, the Brecon Beacons and other 'walking areas'. We still haven't booked anywhere yet, but the North York Moors look promising.

Houseboats might have suited us well, although I suspect these weren't really going to be houseboats in the normal sense of the word - more likely a term preferred by campaigners who might doubt the effectiveness of a slogan like "No boats on the lake!".

Oh well, never mind.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 13:31:04, 12/02/20 »
Amazing post.

You really can't find a cottage in the Lakes a year in advance? Never had that problem myself.
On what evidence do you 'suspect these weren't really going to be houseboats'? It's not a big body of water no one is going to sail round it for a week.

I suspect that you are posting just to get a rise out of people on the forum, so I'll leave it there.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 13:47:31, 12/02/20 »
Did I make the mistake of not going along with the accepted (or acceptable) line?

Everything I wrote is true. We always book accommodation nearly a year in advance and we couldn't find anything desirable in the Lake District for next summer. Did you notice I said 'desirable'? I didn't say we couldn't find a cottage - I said we couldn't find a desirable cottage, as in, a cottage we would like to spend a couple of weeks in.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 13:50:13, 12/02/20 »
Everything I wrote is true too.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 14:36:28, 12/02/20 »
I'm actually a little disappointed that the plan doesn't appear to be going ahead.  :(

Houseboats might have suited us well, although I suspect these weren't really going to be houseboats in the normal sense of the word - more likely a term preferred by campaigners who might doubt the effectiveness of a slogan like "No boats on the lake!".

Oh well, never mind.

What sort of houseboats do you think they were?  Have you done any research as to what Lowther Estates were planning?

Or are you just bored under that bridge?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 14:58:57, 12/02/20 »

My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed our summer walking holidays in the highlands and islands of Scotland for the last few years, but it's a long drive from Kent and we decided to go somewhere a bit closer next summer. We haven't had a walking holiday in the Lake District yet, so that was our intention.

We always book self-catering accommodation almost a year in advance so I began searching as soon as we got home last August. It was very frustrating because we couldn't find a single desirable cottage in the Lake District as a base to go walking from with minimal or no driving. This came as a surprise, because we've never had a problem with Scotland, the Peak District, Snowdonia, the Brecon Beacons and other 'walking areas'. We still haven't booked anywhere yet, but the North York Moors look promising.

Oh well, never mind.

I'm afraid that you are showing your ignorance, both of Grasmere, which is a very small lake right in the heart of the Lake District, and of the planning proposals.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 17:03:50, 12/02/20 »
I'm afraid that you are showing your ignorance, both of Grasmere, which is a very small lake right in the heart of the Lake District, and of the planning proposals.

Showing my ignorance? Quite possibly, but why should it be otherwise?

I've read the relevant topics here, watched the BBC report on iPlayer, read several newspaper articles, used Google Street View on the A591 adjacent to the lake, but no... I haven't studied the planning proposals. I'm simply saying that staying in a (probably luxury) boat for a week or two in the Lake District sounded pretty appealing to me.

This isn't just a random whim - we love holidays on the water. We've done about 30 cruises, including 4 river cruises, and stayed in log houses by a lake in the Cotswolds (only a little smaller than Grasmere) on 6 occasions. For our last walking holiday we stayed in a converted boathouse on the Mon & Brec canal and watched narrowboats passing and thought about hiring one as a base for a walking holiday. Nice as narrowboats are, they are too compact for our liking - and the boats suggested for Grasmere sounded bigger.

I think it's important to accept that walkers come in many varieties and that we may well see some things differently...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy