Author Topic: The benefits of Walking  (Read 3039 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: The benefits of Walking
« Reply #15 on: 11:14:18, 07/07/18 »
………….. so what makes one superior to the other. …………….

One rarely suffers from a flat battery, lost signal, or breaking if dropped.
One is easier to use, can be operated with no navigational skills, works in the rain, is (probably) more accurate , gives a visual 'snail-trail' of your track, is lit for reading at night, & can offer reverse-route guidance.

Your choice as to which you use (if not both)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:18:07, 07/07/18 »

Your choice as to which you use (if not both)
and the benefit to walking is?
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:05:53, 07/07/18 »
I love
Dartmoor. I spent many hours yomping round there. Got lost ones or twice. Picture the Scene walked over a tor and found a big field of rocked as far as the eye could see. Then the mist came down while I had my lunch. So i got disoriented and couldnt think which way i'd walked in from. It looked the same in all directions. All roads lead to knowhere. So walked in one direction till i found a stone circle with a colum of stones and found my way again. Keep calm and collect yourself think of a plan. It's walks like that u remember
Alas modern phones and satnavhave taken away some of that fun element. Though the day you rely on one, you can be sure it will malfunction.  The simple life with a map and compass is always going to get you home.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 06:12:24, 08/07/18 »
Alas modern phones and satnavhave taken away some of that fun element. Though the day you rely on one, you can be sure it will malfunction.  The simple life with a map and compass is always going to get you home.

You could argue the day you rely on a map it'll be blown away  ;D

I've never had a GPS fail on me, and they don't blow away, though once on the approach to Pen y Fan I put mine down while dealing with a geocache, thankfully realised before I'd gone too far  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Troggy

« Reply #19 on: 08:13:57, 08/07/18 »
Well, I just like walking. Quite often for the peace it can give when I fancy walking on my own. For the feeling of being part of the landscape. All the physical and mental benefits that go with it. I suppose it's mooching about and taking in the scenery and I'll take a map and compass if I'm out in the country. I can go fast or slow, wander where I want (most times) depending on landowners barriers!; and stop for a cuppa and a bite for however long I want, I can take snaps or not and let myself relax. I can work things out easier, come to terms with things I can't change and learn that I can change the things that I can. I can blow off steam, I can feel content and happy. And the great thing is, if I haven't worked things out enough, I can just open the front door and start all over again.
If I go with a group then, it's good for the company, listening and talking about all kinds of things and walking at a steady, more disciplined pace.And there's no tax on it...yet!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:37:58, 08/07/18 »
And there's no tax on it...yet!

O0
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 08:40:32, 08/07/18 »
O0

Sussamb - just noticed your signature, are you a Royalist ?

"Where there's a Will there's a Kate"

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:41:23, 08/07/18 »
Nope, just an optimist  O0
Where there's a will ...

RogerA

« Reply #23 on: 08:28:39, 09/07/18 »
"Always ..." "...should still carry..."
perhaps this is a little too prescriptive ... I'm sure there are routes where it would be silly not to carry a map and compass similarly there are those where its just not necessary.
Part of the benefit of walking for me is to just get out and go and not worry and relax. Sometimes I dont have a map or phone or compass or 'proper' walking trousers and wear sandals rather than boots, dont have a first aid kit or even have a planned route and have no idea where I'll end up - of course that approach while fine in some well marked places that perhaps I know reasonably well and can always turn around and retrace my steps - but would be dangerous in many other places.

Troggy

« Reply #24 on: 08:51:37, 09/07/18 »
Roger A, I agree with that. It depends where you're going on your walk.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy