Author Topic: Books  (Read 40369 times)

susiej

• Veteran Member
Books
« on: 23:10:10, 16/09/10 »
Madmax (Devon)  and I had a discussion at the weekend about walking and mountaineering books we've read; From time to time someone says words to the effect of "I've read a great book about climbing the eiger" or summat and I wondered what people thought about having a reading list sort of a permanent thread...(mods??) like the campsites thread, that people could add to when they've read something they recommend.
Oh just for clarity, I meant books about walking/climbing/mountaineering and the like....

if you want to add anything, go ahead...can I suggest that you copy this and paste it to your post with additions...any better ideas? knock yourself out!
« Last Edit: 15:44:39, 22/09/10 by ramblingpete »
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

di36mg

• Veteran Member
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: 23:19:00, 16/09/10 »

I agree Susie.. have we not got one already..?  If not we definately need one and a dvd list as well....
« Last Edit: 23:23:03, 16/09/10 by di36mg »

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:21:23, 16/09/10 »
Great idea Susie O0

Ian

« Reply #3 on: 10:32:54, 17/09/10 »
Great idea (It might come in handy when I'm looking for Christmas presents in a few months).

Who knows, it might even spawn a Walking Forum reading group.

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:43:44, 17/09/10 »
Good idea O0  Count me in O0 interested.
R.I.P. Dave.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:51:28, 17/09/10 »
Yes, I'd be interested too.  O0

Don't know what the mods think? Is it worth a sticky?

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:26:13, 17/09/10 »
Sticky sounds good to me!
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 01:04:52, 18/09/10 »
but what does a person have to do to get a sticky?

I know I'll start a list and see what happens...
if you want to add anything, go ahead...can I suggest that you copy this and paste it to your post with additions...any better ideas? knock yourself out!

I have given these no thought at all...these are just what popped into my head as I sit writing this...

Into Thin Air; Jon Krakauer; classic and controversial account of the Everest 1996 disaster-this book changed my life engendering a fascination for the highest places and their environs and inhabitants.
The Climb, tragic ambitions on Everest; Anatoli Boukreev and Gary Weston De Walt  an account of the same event from a different angle
Left For Dead; Beck Weathers....the story of the chap who was, well, left for dead on Everest-astonishing
High Exposure-an enduring passion for Everest and unforgiving places; David Breashears....another Everest one but with an autobiographical element from a respected filmaker and mountaineer.
Savage Summit-The True Stories of the First Five Women Who Climbed K2, the World's Most Feared Mountain; Jennifer Jordan.......fascinating account of the female climbers who have climbed K2, a must for the lasses
Summit Fever; Andrew Grieg...hugely entertaining account of how an armchair climber became a participant on an expedition to the Mustagh Tower in the Karakoram
Touching the Void; Joe Simpson....if you havent heard of this you must have been on Mars for the last 10 years....read it!
The first Fifty-Munro bagging without a beard;Muriel Gray ...an accessible and irreverent tale of hillwalking and bagging munros
Patagonia; Bruce Chatwin...it's a classic and IMHO is partly dreary, partly fascinating account of travels around...guess where? yup, Patagonia (it's bigger than you think)
A Walk in the Woods; Bill Bryson....hilarious account of walking (some of) the Appalachian Way...
Into the Wild; Jon Krakauer...thought provoking account of young idealist's doomed adventure in the Alaskan wilderness.

take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:58:48, 18/09/10 »
Into Thin Air; Jon Krakauer; classic and controversial account of the Everest 1996 disaster-this book changed my life engendering a fascination for the highest places and their environs and inhabitants.
The Climb, tragic ambitions on Everest; Anatoli Boukreev and Gary Weston De Walt  an account of the same event from a different angle
Left For Dead; Beck Weathers....the story of the chap who was, well, left for dead on Everest-astonishing
High Exposure-an enduring passion for Everest and unforgiving places; David Breashears....another Everest one but with an autobiographical element from a respected filmaker and mountaineer.
Savage Summit-The True Stories of the First Five Women Who Climbed K2, the World's Most Feared Mountain; Jennifer Jordan.......fascinating account of the female climbers who have climbed K2, a must for the lasses
Summit Fever; Andrew Grieg...hugely entertaining account of how an armchair climber became a participant on an expedition to the Mustagh Tower in the Karakoram
Touching the Void; Joe Simpson....if you havent heard of this you must have been on Mars for the last 10 years....read it!
The first Fifty-Munro bagging without a beard;Muriel Gray ...an accessible and irreverent tale of hillwalking and bagging munros
Patagonia; Bruce Chatwin...it's a classic and IMHO is partly dreary, partly fascinating account of travels around...guess where? yup, Patagonia (it's bigger than you think)
A Walk in the Woods; Bill Bryson....hilarious account of walking (some of) the Appalachian Way...
Into the Wild; Jon Krakauer...thought provoking account of young idealist's doomed adventure in the Alaskan wilderness.
White Spider; Heinrich Harrer - The Man himself  - Classic account of the ascent of the Eiger[/size]
Dark Summit; The Extraordinary True Story of Everest's Most Controversial Season
The Beckoning Silence; Joe Simpson - Slow starter but picks up - Another book on the Eiger among other things.
« Last Edit: 12:02:59, 18/09/10 by madmax »

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:56:18, 18/09/10 »
High Risk by Matt Dickinson - probably among the worst novels I have ever read, but the author had 'accidentally' climbed Everest at some time in his life and the descriptions of the main character attempting the climb really opened my eyes to what it's like up there. (No, I don't fancy giving it a go!).

I have just read an extract of 'Just for the love of it' by Cathy O'Dowd (the first American woman to summit Everest, I believe) and I shall be reading more.

Currently reading  Death on the Ice by Robert Ryan, a speculative novel based on Scotts polar expedition.

Alewife

...beware of the bull!

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:31:45, 19/09/10 »
For walking in the Lakes, all of the Alfred Wainwright's books on the area are a great read, and I think it's better to get the ones updated by Chris Jesty. I'm including these but I'm aware you'd have to live on another planet not to have heard of AW? Unless you were right young or new to fell walking...  8)

IS there a Dai Wainwright who did same for Wales and a Jimmy Wainwright in Scoatland?  ;D
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

rlocock

« Reply #11 on: 09:56:13, 19/09/10 »
White Spider; Heinrich Harrer - The Man himself  - Classic account of the ascent of the Eiger[/size]
Dark Summit; The Extraordinary True Story of Everest's Most Controversial Season
The Beckoning Silence; Joe Simpson - Slow starter but picks up - Another book on the Eiger among other things.
High Risk by Matt Dickinson - probably among the worst novels I have ever read, but the author had 'accidentally' climbed Everest at some time in his life and the descriptions of the main character attempting the climb really opened my eyes to what it's like up there. (No, I don't fancy giving it a go!).
 I have just read an extract of 'Just for the love of it' by Cathy O'Dowd (the first American woman to summit Everest, I believe) and I shall be reading more.
 Currently reading  Death on the Ice by Robert Ryan, a speculative novel based on Scotts polar expedition.
Forbidden Land;The history of the struggle for the right to roam mountains and moorland written by Tom Stephenson
« Last Edit: 18:13:31, 19/09/10 by rlocock »
All mushrooms are edible - some only once......

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:52:47, 19/09/10 »
The Beckoning Silence; Joe Simpson - Slow starter but picks up - Another book on the Eiger among other things.High Risk by Matt Dickinson - probably among the worst novels I have ever read, but the author had 'accidentally' climbed Everest at some time in his life and the descriptions of the main character attempting the climb really opened my eyes to what it's like up there. (No, I don't fancy giving it a go!).
Forbidden Land;The history of the struggle for the right to roam mountains and moorland written by Tom Stephenson
'I bought a mountain' by Thomas Firbank.....  a wonderful book about hill farming in Snowdonia.  If you like Snowdonia you will love this book.

Lakeswalker31

« Reply #13 on: 22:07:41, 19/09/10 »
I would add a book I read a while back:
Between a Rock and A Hard Place by Aron Ralson.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:05:12, 19/09/10 »
Recent books, Nanda Devi, by Hugh Thomson, the very poignant story of an expedition to that mountain where the woman who was named after it by her father died on the mountain for no apparent cause. Astonishingly, her father and fiance just tipped her body over a cliff.  Going back, I think I probably got interested in mountaineering as a boy by reading the books of Frank Smythe. I think these have been reprinted in omnibus volumes. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy