Author Topic: Go Outdoors  (Read 32744 times)

romaway

Re: Go Outdoors
« Reply #30 on: 17:46:58, 20/06/12 »
Go is not perfect as we all know and often they do not have much selection even in a range they sell eg I wanted a dry sack for inside my rucksack, they had lots but all one size and all huge!  But in the end the young lady who did not really know about the stock spent some time rummaging and came up with one that looked good and she asked me which rucksack and then got that out and tried it to see if it fitted. I said i wanted to see what it would be like filled and she got me a selection of clothes to stuff the sack and off I went with my new purchase and very happy.

I was also chatting with two of the boot fitter girls and they said they are sent off on various outdoor activities to ensure they have some knowledge of the products.  Thty also run activity weekends and the staff attend these too.  Most of the staff in my local store do seem quite knowledgeable but Cotswold beat the lot when the young lad said he had done the same Himalayan trek that I have planned and he gave me half an hour of his time offering some very sound advice.

Out of interest did you know GO also offer walking weekends.  http://www.goactivities.co.uk/products/155/langdale-guided-walking-weekend
I would not go, but seems they are expanding their business. 

ukjeeper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 18:34:15, 20/06/12 »
Never had a problem with local store (Basildon). Helpful people with some very good advisers. Stand behind their products and their deals. Don't have a problem paying for the 'membership' card, as over the year it gains me more than it costs.

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 21:17:26, 20/06/12 »
I believe there's a newly opened store in Penrith, that would be your nearest I'd have thought Dibs. O0

Thanks Mike   O0

Here it is!  http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/penrith

I didn't even know about it!

That's my hol trip out planned now!

“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 21:35:47, 20/06/12 »
some time ago i was looking for a 1 man tent in go, i was talking to a young lad about the tents he had there, he was great to talk too and showed me a few tents, when i explained they were way too heavy, i said i wanted to buy a 1 man tent up too a maximum of 1.5 kilos, his answer was, you mean to tell me they make tents as light as that  :o . having said that i have bought equipment there in the past and have had a good deal
you have 1 life live it

yamyam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 22:01:28, 20/06/12 »
I purchase a Vango tempest from the coventry store for £23.00. There mistake not mine. ;) O0 
Every journey begins with a single footprint.
Nuts about walking.

map mad kedge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 22:12:06, 20/06/12 »
How much should it have been?
All I want for Christmas is peace of mind.

yamyam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 22:24:37, 20/06/12 »
How much should it have been?
As you are aware they price match and give 10% off. This tent retails around £120 but on line i found one for £70.00 then the young lady at the till gave me 70% off the price by mistake  i failed to notice this mistake till i had left the store. :-[ ;D
Every journey begins with a single footprint.
Nuts about walking.

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 22:35:30, 20/06/12 »
As you are aware they price match and give 10% off. This tent retails around £120 but on line i found one for £70.00 then the young lady at the till gave me 70% off the price by mistake  i failed to notice this mistake till i had left the store. :-[ ;D

You did well then didn't you! We've got Cotswold Outdoor & Millets who both have way OTT prices. I've never been to Go Outdoors think our nearest store is in London. I usually end up buying stuff on Amazon at least they have a good returns policy if you need to send something back
Quit your jibber jabber, get some nuts

walking-books

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 10:20:12, 21/06/12 »
Like all shops you are going to have good, poor and shocking customer service. In all honesty I have always had good service in any of the Go stores I have shopped in...Leeds, Wakefield, Newcastle, Stockton, York.

The staff are polite and do seem interested with some product knowledge but I guess they are there to sell so maybe advice is something you should find elsewhere (like on this site!) and take it along to the store.

Mike

www.walking-books.com
Books, guides and maps on Britain's best scenic walks

Come and have a chat on Twitter - walkingbookscom

nvl35

« Reply #39 on: 14:29:40, 22/06/12 »
Had my first proper experience of Go today when looking at new boots. I had decided what I wanted and rang them to check stock, got put through to Sam at the Loughborough store and have to say he was very helpfull and good at his job. He checked they had my size and also the one above and below then when I asked about 'price match' he took the details of the website I had and rang me back when he'd had a look at it, less than 5 minutes. Unfortunately they wouldn't give me the deal as they didn't do the boots in black but he did tell me a different site they would match. This was the cheapest as I checked on google shopping. When I went to the store he had the boots ready for me to try on and also the webpage printed off with the discounted price all okay'd by the manager.
I didn't have to discuss my needs with him but on overhearing him with another customer he did sound very knowledgable about the fit types etc.
Don't wait for your ship to come in
Swim out and meet the bloody thing !

Barry Sheene

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:22:15, 22/06/12 »
Well where I live there are hardly any Outdoor shops so Go Out Doors is a bit of a godsend tobe honest.  As far as I know in Westcliff on Sea we have only Millets in Southend, Camping and General on Canvey Island and Go Out Doors in Vange, Basildon, not Cotswolds an such for me :( 
Catbells, a truly lovely walk

footix2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 20:33:30, 22/06/12 »
I was going to use their price match to get a cheap Rab Latok jacket last year, but got a new tattoo instead!
82/214

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 20:41:16, 22/06/12 »
I was going to use their price match to get a cheap Rab Latok jacket last year, but got a new tattoo instead!

There's no denying, it will outlast the jacket
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #43 on: 21:02:43, 22/06/12 »

There's no denying, it will outlast the jacket

The tattoo will stay waterproof for longer too.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 18:56:57, 24/06/12 »
Go outdoors has been great for me since I first went to the Stockport branch 4 years ago. It has taken off these past couple of years with more shops opening all over the UK. I have had no probs with them and made use of the price match on a few occasions with no hassle O0
Today I was back in the Manchester store taking back a pair of Goretex lined North Face Hedgehog Boots (£77.00 on offer), that I bought in August last year and also took back in September to be replaced as there was water coming in. As i have only used these for a few walks, last week I noticed my feey rather damp even though there was no proper puddles or really wet paths. I let them dried out and this morning gave them a good clean and had them under a running tap and also in a bowl of water to see if they leaked. The right boot leaked but they were both a bit damp on the inside so I decided to take them back to see if i could get a refund. No problem as the guy took one look on the inside and said they must be faulty, have a full refund O0 A shame really as they were very very comfy. I decided to try a few more on and got some Mammut Impact GTX for £117 which are very comfy. Now this is where I slipped up as I didn't use the price match as I never thought about it. The climbers shop are doing them for £90 so i could of saved myself about £40 which in turn would of gone towards todays pub lunch ::)
http://www.climbers-shop.com/9814038/products/mammut_impact_gtx_boot.aspx
So for me GO has been good, yes they sell some crap but its like most superstores where they sell not just one lot of stuff but a whole range.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy