Author Topic: Fleetwith Pike Proposed zipwire  (Read 17609 times)

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
Re: Fleetwith Pike Proposed zipwire
« Reply #30 on: 11:24:59, 29/07/10 »
Quote from: Cogstar

and you DO know that they invented jetpacks?

[url
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLccl_NWDQE&feature=player_embedded

we were promised these in 1973 can't wait
Was it jsut me or did you watch this and hope he would come a cropper at some point  ;D   Pretty damned cool tho but eh like ye naar
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

andybeck

« Reply #31 on: 12:06:15, 29/07/10 »
Interesting to read another forum debate on this topic.
Firstly to tybalt1951, welcome to the forum.
I am always a bit suspicious about folk who come on and join a forum and the first thing they do is try and drum up support for some cause or another and it makes me wonder if there is an ulterior motive? No doubt there are some folk who are still upset at Mark Weirs unfortunate comments on the OMM event a couple of years ago and they would love to see him and his business take a hit.
I have taken some time to have a look at this proposed Zip Wire as I, probably like most fellow walkers in the Lake District would hate to see the development of obtusive attractions onto the fells.
A couple of facts that perhaps are relevant:
1. This proposed Zip Wire is to be constructed on the footprint of an old Honister Quarry cable run which operated in the 1920's and was known as the Lanscaster Aerial, a fact that gives this proposal an unique history and some merit for getting approval. (compared to someone wishing to copy the idea from say, Kirk Fell to Wasdale Head Inn ;) )
2. If the planning application has been read you will see that uppermost support for the proposed Zip Wire is to be located on the top of Black Star, some 500m from the actual summit of Fleetwith Pike. This structure is actually going to be 3m in height not the 5m as quoted by tybalt1951. It is to be constructed in a similar manner of slate but about 1m higher than the cain on the nearby Dale Head.

Personally I dont think this proposal will lead to the Lake District becoming a Theme Park. I cant say that the Via Ferratta and smaller Zip Wire that is already in place has spoilt my enjoyment of the fells. I see the side of Honister Crag where the wire will be located as an industrial area and hardly one of natural beauty. If the application gets approval best of luck to them. There is a younger generation out there who seek enjoyment in the fells by Ghyll Scambling, White Water rafting, Para Gliding etc not everyone gets their adrenaline rush by strolling up to the top of a hill to eat sandwiches. ;)
Andy

Cogstar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 12:26:52, 29/07/10 »
NIce one Andy, it's good to get a voice of reason amongst the normal flight of fools on here. (me included obviously  :) ) . Makes perfect sense now.

Get Big Picture

PistonPete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 15:49:21, 29/07/10 »
Well said Andy  O0
Walk

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 19:55:11, 29/07/10 »
I'm still chuckling at the fact that someone told Snowslider to get a life. ::)
« Last Edit: 20:30:15, 29/07/10 by alewife »
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 20:00:15, 29/07/10 »
I'm still chuckling at Snowslider who generates income from writing but put this grammatically incorrect phrase in his post  ;)

If you're looking for another forum then I think you're looking for is less tolerant people,
Two words for you mate, proofreading  ;D ;D

www.pedants'r'us.[censored]
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 20:32:28, 29/07/10 »
A theme park ride here wouldn't be any good for me... I always close my eyes and then ask.... is it finished yet?   So I wouldn't see anything would I? 
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

PistonPete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 20:49:29, 29/07/10 »
A theme park ride here wouldn't be any good for me... I always close my eyes and then ask.... is it finished yet?   So I wouldn't see anything would I?

That was my first wifes approach to Lovemaking  :o   One night I was just getting stuck in and I heard her downstairs putting the kettle on  :D   I'll get me coat  O0
Walk

Boggy Marsh

« Reply #38 on: 20:53:14, 29/07/10 »

That was my first wifes approach to Lovemaking  :o   One night I was just getting stuck in and I heard her downstairs putting the kettle on  :D   I'll get me coat  O0

:2funny: Laughed so much reading that, I just choked on my beer ;D O0
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was.

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 21:30:10, 29/07/10 »
I'm still chuckling at Snowslider who generates income from writing but put this grammatically incorrect phrase in his post  ;)

If you're looking for another forum then I think you're looking for is less tolerant people,
Two words for you mate, proofreading  ;D ;D

www.pedants'r'us.[censored]

if we're being pedantic, I didn't say I was a proof reader did I? ;D  I've got RSI, some of the software I use to avoid typing misses words and I never notice, fortunately editors both proof read and correct.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 21:44:10, 29/07/10 »
OK you win  ;D

PS proofread is one word  ::)

andybeck

« Reply #41 on: 21:52:02, 29/07/10 »
OK you win  ;D

PS proofread is one word  ::)
but isn't Zip Wire two words ;) ;D

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 21:55:03, 29/07/10 »

There's more to the story though...
It's the only roller coaster I've ever been able to go on..  O0
and that was because it was in darkness...
and I worked out that if it was dark  I wouldn't be able to see the scary bits
which is the ground moving... :o

so I didn't really need to close my eyes...  :-[

I'll get my hat... :police:
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 22:11:31, 29/07/10 »
I suspect that some of the fuss about this zipwire might well have a source within Mr Weir's Daily Mail Rant Style marketing strategy. 
Its true that the environs of Honsiter quarry aren't particularly pretty, unless you're specially interested in industrial archeology, in which case it's quite fab - and sitting on the top of Fleetwith Pike isn't a specially peaceful experience, what with traffic noise from the road below and Mr Weir buzzing about on one of his suicidal helicopter jaunts
No, I think that whoever wanted to test public opinion for this idea and draw the most attention to it touched the appropriate nerve. Its not the first time - there was the notion of a huge Alf Wainright statue a while back wasn't there?
The section of society most likely to be ruffled by these suggestions are exactly the ones who won't be customers for something as trouser-filling as a zipwire, so there's no danger of alienating the wrong ramblers.
And the OMM kerfuffle was very successful at drawing the public's attention to the quarry's visitor centre.........
What's next, I wonder?
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Cogstar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 23:07:02, 29/07/10 »

that's brilliant Pete, we should have more trolls if it inspires this  ;D ;D 
Get Big Picture

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy