Author Topic: How do you combat boredom?  (Read 8523 times)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: How do you combat boredom?
« Reply #30 on: 09:09:32, 16/10/18 »
Don't listen to the Inner Chimp......

Hmm, have you read the book by Steve Peters I wonder? ;)

Very occasionally, I do get bored on a walk.  It's usually when the group are trudging over one field after another, with very little to look at/photograph or find any interest in and where the only view is of the next field. ::)
I always aim to add variety/interest to the walks I lead but not everyone does that.  It seems to be just about getting the miles in with some folk. The quality of the route takes a back seat sometimes, unfortunately.

As for listening to music whilst walking; I've used an ipod in the past on what I call my 'training walks', where the rhythm of the music helps me keep up a good pace etc.
I remember sitting high up on a coast path somewhere once, with a fantastic view in the most beautiful weather. I put my ipod on and selected a track by Vangelis, which only served to intensify the feeling of contentment and peace within me.
Some music just seems to match the surroundings/view perfectly 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 10:28:47, 16/10/18 »
My phone has podcasts and audio files on it which I'll use if I get bored. Depends on the conditions. If it's a beautiful day in a beautiful area then I don't need anything but after say 4 hours trudging through mist and gloam on my own then I benefit from a distraction.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 17:26:42, 24/10/18 »
I tend not to get bored, as I am always looking out at the scenery and watching for wildlife. On real slogs (e.g. Elidir Fawr) I normally find myself calculating and recalculating how much longer the ordeal is going to last. My brain often switches off from being full blown active and wanders off thinking about all sorts of things. If I could only remember all its bright ideas I would have solved world hunger and become a multi- millionaire by the end of the day.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 17:29:03, 24/10/18 »
I tend not to get bored, as I am always looking out at the scenery and watching for wildlife. On real slogs (e.g. Elidir Fawr) I normally find myself calculating and recalculating how much longer the ordeal is going to last. My brain often switches off from being full blown active and wanders off thinking about all sorts of things. If I could only remember all its bright ideas I would have solved world hunger and become a multi- millionaire by the end of the day.

Think you must be going up Elidir Fawr the wrong way  ;D , though if you solve world hunger going up the slog route might be worth it!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 17:48:42, 24/10/18 »

Think you must be going up Elidir Fawr the wrong way  ;D , though if you solve world hunger going up the slog route might be worth it!

True. I must try ascending Elidir Fawr by another route. However, my next ascent is likely to be part of a south to north attempt on the Welsh 3000s, so the slog is likely again, unless I add some distance to my short stroll.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:11:07, 24/10/18 »
Ha - yes - looks like you're going to be doing the slog route!  I was up there on Saturday and ascended via Carnedd Filiast and Mynydd Perfedd - lovely views, had the place to myself and no chance to get bored, but not sure it's a route for a go at the 3000s!  Good luck.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 18:52:54, 24/10/18 »
I once tried listening to music while training for a London marathon but found if i actually heard the music i wasn’t concentrating on what was going on around me and if i concentrated on what i was doing i had no idea what had played. So i gave that up and just take an interest on what is going on around me.
It's all uphill from here.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #37 on: 21:44:08, 24/10/18 »
Just done 3 days on the SWCP and didn't even think of taking music. Plenty of people about with whom to exchange greetings and one-liners, awesome October weather - and thoughts turning to what food to cook at the glamping site tonight.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 08:50:46, 25/10/18 »

I never get bored on a walk.

Even if the clouds are down and the scenery is drab, walking is great thinking time.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rather be walking

« Reply #39 on: 10:13:02, 26/10/18 »
If you get bored walking, long or short, I think its time to look for new activity / hobby  ;)

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 13:15:48, 27/10/18 »
If I am bored I go for a walk  - works for me but similarly...……

Very occasionally, I do get bored on a walk.  It's usually when the group are trudging over one field after another, with very little to look at/photograph or find any interest in and where the only view is of the next field. ::)
I always aim to add variety/interest to the walks I lead but not everyone does that.  It seems to be just about getting the miles in with some folk. The quality of the route takes a back seat sometimes, unfortunately.
Some music just seems to match the surroundings/view perfectly 8)

Not having an ipod the music is in my head - also works ok for me without blanking out natural sounds of birdsong, wind in the trees, etc
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 20:21:21, 27/10/18 »
If I am bored I go for a walk  - works for me but similarly...……

Not having an ipod the music is in my head - also works ok for me without blanking out natural sounds of birdsong, wind in the trees, etc

I sometimes find this song entering my head when I am walking alone, a jolly tale of sibling rivalry and murder >:D

Clannad - Two Sisters
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 21:12:40, 27/10/18 »

I sometimes find this song entering my head when I am walking alone, a jolly tale of sibling rivalry and murder >:D

Clannad - Two Sisters

I listened to it, kind of dark for such a cheery tune. I like it.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #43 on: 15:16:43, 01/11/18 »
At least some of my time on the SWCP was spent reflecting on the contents of my blog, which have been pulled together in an e-Book, 'The Hiking Obsession'.With apologies for the blatant plug.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 20:29:07, 03/11/18 »
Until this question came up, it never occurred to me. Walking is something I do to not be bored. Either I'm exploring what's around me, or letting my thoughts wander, or not thinking and just enjoying the sensation of walking.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy