Author Topic: beamish and doziness in the face of adversity  (Read 4894 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
beamish and doziness in the face of adversity
« on: 15:45:36, 29/12/07 »
This was my last Durham County Council walk this year, starting at Causey Arch picnic area -  sort of near Stanley. We had two leaders - Steve and Janet who are also paid rangers and three ranger/stewards, Clarry, Neville and me - and 25 "customers" plus two dogs. In the face of trying to count this crowd and all the excitement of the fact that it wasnt raining, I left my walking poles sticking in the grass in the car park and didnt realise till I'd walked a couple of miles.
Our walk went through managed woodland, over the arch and along to a nature reserve near Tanfield - where it started to rain - then up to a railway path - where it turned to sleet - and along to Beamish where it got even wetter.
We managed a  short, damp lunch stop in an old railway tunnel then through more woodland to the Shepherd and Sheherdess pub  which we didnt go in (doh!) However, to make up for this, it stopped snowing and the sun came out.
Some plodging through mud and slutch (Lancashire word for sloppy underfoot  stuff) brought us back to the start.
A shortish walk of just over seven miles.
It would be a great little trundle in summer, with a stop in the boozah.
My walking poles were exactly where 'd left them nearly four hours earlier.
They're obviously a very honest lot around there (or they recognise that the poles are a bit old and knackered)
Next one is  on New Years day
A few pics below....

« Last Edit: 11:38:01, 08/03/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Re: beamish and doziness in the face of adversity
« Reply #1 on: 01:39:13, 30/12/07 »
LOL!!!! Was that a wedding cart or something in the last picture I was rotflol, wondered how they managed that.  I bet the bride was'nt too happy oh well at least they will remember it for the rest of there live's.  God for the live of me now? I can't believe you still got you're walking poles and after 4 hour (lazy talk).   That was lucky!!!! Yeah were hoping to stay in a bothy over the New Year should be a laugh.  As were members of the MBA association.  As were doing a winter skill's course nxt year.   We really need to start thinking of getting out and about in 2008.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:29:29, 30/12/07 »
That coach has been parked in the puddle for a long time, although the fire damage is fairly recent. I'm not sure of it's history, but I think its an genuine mid-19th century mail coach.

Have you picked out which bothy you're going to visit yet?

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:01:05, 30/12/07 »
Wow!!! Now that's really is cool bit of history. Mid 19th century mail coach in a puddle gosh.

I think were going to Nant Rhys bothy in Wales,  for a couple of days.  Was hoping to go for New Year but unfortunately my other half is working.  So were going for the weekend instend.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:08:38, 30/12/07 »
What a shame to do that to such an old coach  :-[

W/G you and T/D have a great time  O0 O0 sounds cool...
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:22:58, 30/12/07 »
Well, have a cracking trip to Wales W/G. Hopefully, the weather will improve soon... (its 'orrible here today)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:03:02, 30/12/07 »
Mike, come on, don't leave us in suspense, what was going on with that coach? Just the oddest thing  :o

That first picture is inside an old railway tunnel isn't it?

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:57:21, 30/12/07 »
The coach has been in that puddle for several years - I suspect it had been obtained by Beamish museum for refurbishment, but its probably too early in period for Beamish, so they didnt do anything with it.
Lately, somebody seems to have torched it for fun.  The coaches ran between the major towns - and started going out of business around 1840 - 1850 when the steam railways started.
The coach is on the edge of Beamish museum , next to a 17th Century farm/museum, a tramway, 1825 railway sheds and a horse-operated pithead (pic below)
Phew!
The lunchstop is in a railway tunnel which is now on the cyclists CtoC just east of Stanley. The line runs from Consett to Sunderland and is part of an extensive network of railway paths in the North East. You could walk for days on these. (could get a bit tedious, though!)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:35:52, 31/12/07 »
Ah, I see!  Thanks for that.

So that particular route is on the fringes of a museum?  It's a little disappointing to see that vandals have chosen to spoil something so idiosyncratic, but still it's good that you are able to get so close to things which you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

I know what you mean about walking on old railway lines, I try not to bother unless I really have to.  I've done two main walks along old tracks (both about 10 miles) are neither were of great interest.  The sort of walks where if you see a bridge or an old platform it becomes a momentous occassion.  ;)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:11:52, 31/12/07 »
Mr Blister - Actually - your second pic makes that particular railway line look quite good. Where is that?

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:18:45, 31/12/07 »
That second picture is one of the few I've taken that I'm actually quite happy with.

It was taken fairly early in the morning just outside of the town of Market Weighton, on the old track that runs to Beverley and then onto the East Coast.  This particular stretch, with the trees, lasted for only a couple of miles, before entering farmland, and then it was a case of dullsville!  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy