Author Topic: Hello all!  (Read 2901 times)

daniel22

Hello all!
« on: 11:13:05, 29/06/20 »
Hi everyone, just wanted to say a quick hello!I have joined because I am gearing up to a 40mile walk (Lyke Wake Walk) and am interested in hints, tips, advice etc. I haven't ever done a walk like this before - I'll be spending a few months training for it. As a bit of background...I am overweight (quite a lot!) but generally fit - when the gyms were open I was there 5-6 times a week doing all sorts like PT, steady state cardio, weight lifting, spinning etc. So I am fat but fit haha. I am hoping over the next few months to trim down quite a lot.

Nice to meet you all :)Daniel

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello all!
« Reply #1 on: 11:21:48, 29/06/20 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. I've never even been to a gym, I'm too mean to spend the money, my 'gym' is my local woods, fields, and footpaths.

daniel22

« Reply #2 on: 11:23:12, 29/06/20 »
Thanks gunwharfman. Currently trawling the forum for other peoples experiences and training plans

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:28:00, 29/06/20 »
Hello Daniel

You remind me of someone I met doing the Weardale Way, he was a big lad!

He was struggling in the heat, constantly sitting down and drinking massive amounts of liquids.

For me, starting out, it was just about getting the correct walking boots/shoes that were comfortable. Then finding some local walking routes to see how far I could manage without stretching myself too far, just building up walking strength. Local Walking shops have very experienced staff who can offer advice on all the gear required. Weather proof gear will be important. Your size may be an issue, I'm size 14 walking boots, which were difficult to find to try on, most cheaper ones fell apart when wet. Decent footwear was the key for me, although I only do day walks, so I'm sure help will arrive from others!

I do a lot of preparation regarding route to be walked so have a good understanding of where I'm heading.

Hope all goes well and enjoy!

daniel22

« Reply #4 on: 13:07:03, 29/06/20 »
Thanks dodgylegs! I am hoping to be a bit lighter by then. I usually drink around 4-5L of water on an average day, so i imagine I will be carrying a decent amount more for this trek! So every pound I lose will help carry that haha.

I have some pretty good boots that I have worn in, but I'm going to get a pair of walking shoes too - something a bit lighter if the boots start to weigh me down. And extra socks. And shorts that will stop chafing because that would be unbearable.

I plan on buiding up a bit of a plan - starting out with 2x5mile walks through the week and a 10mile walk at the weekend, and each week or two increasing it slightly. I'm not bothered about getting a cracking time. I just want to finish it within the 24 hours. if it takes me that full time I'm not bothered, as long as it's not over!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:41:43, 29/06/20 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Are you walking with other people or do you have to do the route finding?
Are you walking supported or are you carrying everything with you?

Your slowly increasing 2x5 mile and 1x10 mile plan sounds good. You don't have to increase all the way up to 40 miles, when I did the LWW I'd never walked more than 25 miles in a day. Make sure that you are decreasing your distance in the final couple of weeks.

daniel22

« Reply #6 on: 13:48:12, 29/06/20 »
Thank you Ridge :) I will be walking with a friend. As for support, I'm trying to figure out what the support entails. We'd like to navigate the route ourselves with no guide, but would like the support I have read about at the checkpoints - like extra gear we don't have to carry, food and fluids etc. Not sure how it works yet. Might have to go it without the support and just carry everything.

I'm hoping to get in two 30mile walks before the actual day. If I can do that I'm fairly happy I'll manage 40miles. I did The Great North Run and had never run 13 miles a day in my life (but had done shorter distances) and I managed that ok......despite breaking my foot at the mile 3 marker, not realising (thinking I just pulled something) and ran the next ten miles on a broken foot haha

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:57:25, 29/06/20 »
Supported is just finding someone stupid enough to drive to meet you at road crossings.
It is nearly 40 years since I walked it and yet I will never forget the joy of being handed a bacon sandwich after a long section across the moors.

If the pair of you don't have the skills already then practice navigation, you don't want to wander a couple of miles in the wrong direction.

daniel22

« Reply #8 on: 13:59:24, 29/06/20 »
Thanks Ridge. I don't think I know anyone who would be willing to meet me at the checkpoints haha so we will go unsupported I think.

I have a few local 5-15mile routes near me. I was going to try brushing up navigation skills while out on those.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:46:25, 29/06/20 »
Welcome to the forum from the South Lakes, Daniel  :)

My advice would be to get out there and do some walking on a regular basis - gradually upping the mileage.
« Last Edit: 14:49:33, 29/06/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

daniel22

« Reply #10 on: 14:48:18, 29/06/20 »
Hello Richard :) I can only fit 3 miles in today :( but gonna do 5 tomorrow, 5 on Thursday and 5 on Friday. Then maybe 10 on Sunday. Most I have done was walking around Paris - probably around 12 miles in a day, and that wasn't any issue.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:51:03, 29/06/20 »
Hello Richard :) I can only fit 3 miles in today :( but gonna do 5 tomorrow, 5 on Thursday and 5 on Friday. Then maybe 10 on Sunday. Most I have done was walking around Paris - probably around 12 miles in a day, and that wasn't any issue.

Little and often during the week is good, as long as you up the mileage at the weekends. What area do you live in?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

daniel22

« Reply #12 on: 14:53:58, 29/06/20 »
I'm near Darlington, Co Durham. About 16 miles north of Osmotherley. Yeah I am doing smaller amounts through the week, then longer at weekends. And over the next 8 weeks I will increase until I have done a couple of 30milers. Then two weeks of reduced distance, then Lyke Wake! And likely my demise haha

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:40:45, 29/06/20 »
Welcome Daniel from Aberdeenshire. As am overweight walker myself, I find that on the flat I am faster than about 90% of people. Hot weather and long, steep ascents slow me down and increase water intake significantly, especially if combined. So, any loss of weight you can manage would help in those situations. To prevent chafing on longer walks, I have found wearing a pair of Ron Hills under my walking trousers works a treat and I don’t get too hot.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:02:02, 29/06/20 »
Welcome from Manchester  :)

In addition to the advice already given about physical training, the mental aspect could turn out to be important:- developing the right mindset for long continuous distances, which takes time. I've heard a few tales of very fit day walkers who usually walk just a few miles per day really flagging on their first attempts at distances like these, not due to lack of fitness or energy but their minds are constantly urging them to stop. Part of any lengthy challenge is in the head!.

Edit to add:-

To prevent chafing on longer walks...

Very good point: chafing could make it an absolute nightmare. I use Bodyglide ahletes lubricant, excellent and always prevents problems.
« Last Edit: 18:15:20, 29/06/20 by vghikers »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy